The Student Room Group

how to learn finance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Why are you still posting at the same time about commercial law? Figure out what you wnat to do as a career first instead of trying to become an IB/Accountant/Lawyer.

100% agree. The guy has no idea about banking from what I've seen. I can see that he's in it for the money and nothing else
Reply 21
TBF people have given him loads of advice and he never takes any of it. he tends to tell people they know nothing.
Its not just investment banking its accountancy and law he is pursuing as well.
he needs to focus and decides what he wnats besides just money and prestige.

^this

Bottomline, he needs to focus on getting his engineering degree sorted. According to this he is doing a foundation degree and hasn't even started his BEng/MEng yet.

Plenty of help has been offered.
Can I just add its very hard to master and compete in one of these areas, so reading textbooks inst really a help. What id be looking at are career fuideas and then general introductions to get an overview of each industry. Then i would pick one of them and go for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrNYyJEnFI

To make your life more simple and build up core knowledge.
Original post by glebp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrNYyJEnFI

To make your life more simple and build up core knowledge.

The guy who makes those videos is the same guy who increased the price of an AIDS-treating drug by 5000%. Martin Shkreli
Original post by Trapz99
The guy who makes those videos is the same guy who increased the price of an AIDS-treating drug by 5000%. Martin Shkreli

Good spot this was his interview to congress.
[video="youtube;OmAPtSOwLbg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmAPtSOwLbg[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99

I know, what point are you trying to make? By the way it doesn't treat AIDS, but rather a parasite called toxoplasmosis, which is quite uncommon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by glebp
I know, what point are you trying to make? By the way it doesn't treat AIDS, but rather a parasite called toxoplasmosis, which is quite uncommon.

Maybe but... "The drug's most prominent use as of late 2015 was as an anti-malarial[47] and an antiparasitic, in conjunction with leucovorin and a sulfonamide, to treat patients with toxoplasmosis, including in AIDS populations."
Original post by jneill
Maybe but... "The drug's most prominent use as of late 2015 was as an anti-malarial[47] and an antiparasitic, in conjunction with leucovorin and a sulfonamide, to treat patients with toxoplasmosis, including in AIDS populations."

Only a small proportion of AIDS patients have toxoplasmosis, therefore it makes sense to raise the price as the high profit margin will make up for an extremely low sales volume, otherwise this drug wouldn't exist in the first place. How else could you fund research and development? The drug has many flaws that need to be solved, and without significant R&D the drug will continue to have extremely negative side effects, so the decision is completely rational. However, I digress. To bring a bit of relevance e.g finance into this discussion, I want to point out that not maximizing profits for shareholders is illegal, hence everything can be understood from a logical point of view.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studos
stop gossiping and judging me idiots, if you can't answer the question in the topic move on

Acting like a hysterical little child won't get you into IB buddy. Can I have some extra sauce btw?
Original post by glebp

I wasn't making a point, just thought I'd point it out, the guy is pretty clever to seek out that opportunity to make some extra cash, shame about the court cases. I kinda admire that type of creative/entrepreneurial spirit.
Good spot this was his interview to congress.
[video="youtube;OmAPtSOwLbg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmAPtSOwLbg[/video]

Yeah he's kinda screwed now that's he's in court.
Original post by studos
stop gossiping and judging me idiots, if you can't answer the question in the topic move on

You don't own this thread lol, tsr does
Original post by Trapz99
I wasn't making a point, just thought I'd point it out, the guy is pretty clever to seek out that opportunity to make some extra cash, shame about the court cases. I kinda admire that type of creative/entrepreneurial spirit.

Yeah he's kinda screwed now that's he's in court.

Indeed. He found the flaw and exploited it, at the expense of big insurance companies. He gives fairly good finance lessons, ranging from beginner to intermediate.
Original post by glebp
Indeed. He found the flaw and exploited it, at the expense of big insurance companies. He gives fairly good finance lessons, ranging from beginner to intermediate.

Well, fair play to him. The important thing is that he's rich

And yeah, he does make good videos

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending