The Student Room Group

Tory MP's vote AGAINST allowing 3000 refugee children into the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farm_Ecology

I'm not saying we cant afford it, of course we can. I'm saying we shouldn't, surplus should be helping the citizens of the nation, not citizens of other nations.

I don't see why citizens of this nation need anymore help. No one is starving to death on the streets. They have access to free healthcare and protection. They are not being forced into sex slavery.

3000 children do not have access to such provisions and would be a relatively small burden on our welfare system.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I'm not sure what the relevance of it not being their fault is, is it ours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is irrelevant if it is our fault or not.

Hopefully, you are not nice to people on the basis of whether you have committed a crime against them or not.
I congratulate the Tories for making the right decision.
Original post by DorianGrayism
It is irrelevant if it is our fault or not.

Hopefully, you are not nice to people on the basis of whether you have committed a crime against them or not.

Well the argument appearing to be made is "because it is not their fault we are obliged to do something, should we not be getting our own affairs in order first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope nope nope.

Make sure they're at least children first, not teenagers pretending to be children.
Reply 25
Original post by AliRizzo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36134837

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/25/tories-vote-against-accepting-3000-child-refugees

Was surprised not to see this thread already, although I may have missed it, it seems the Tory powers that be on here have nothing to say.

I'm a UKIP voter and I believe the best way to tackle this is to reduce economic migration to a sustainable and tolerable level so we can accommodate more genuine refugees. I actually believe we should be taking far more than 20,000 over 5 years and we should be taking actual kids and vulnerable people who live in the camps at the doors of IS. Not middle class abled men who afforded the journey to trek to Europe.

If you want to tackle this issue we need to meet halfway. Reduce economic migration to satisfy those concerned and raise refugee migration but overall maintain a far less figure than the stupid 330,000 net we have now. Both sides can win from my proposal I believe.
Reply 26
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Nope nope nope.

Make sure they're at least children first, not teenagers pretending to be children.

If they are genuine children, orphans and ill at the doors of IS surely you believe we should take some in at least? Providing we validate them we have a moral duty if the infrastructure and financial support (from our foreign aid budget) is there?

Look at my proposal above if you agree
Original post by Omen96
If they are genuine children, orphans and ill at the doors of IS surely you believe we should take some in at least? Providing we validate them we have a moral duty of the infrastructure and financial support (from our foreign aid budget) is there?

Look at my proposal above if you agree

Actual children, not teens pretending to be kids yes.
Reply 28

Of course, it requires a big dump of common sense added in to the procedures which is lacking when it comes to the liberal way of validating people. They don't even question fake documentation.

In regards to teens, 13 and 14 year olds are still quite young
(edited 7 years ago)
Well the argument appearing to be made is "because it is not their fault we are obliged to do something, should we not be getting our own affairs in order first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that isnt what im saying. Its in both our moral interest and our privileged position to do something about it.
Original post by AliRizzo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36134837

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/25/tories-vote-against-accepting-3000-child-refugees

Was surprised not to see this thread already, although I may have missed it, it seems the Tory powers that be on here have nothing to say.

Absolute rubbish. Shameful from the Tories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Youngmetro
No that isnt what im saying. Its in both our moral interest and our privileged position to do something about it.

So we should take on totally valueless people on the basis of subjective feelings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our affairs will never be in order according to people like you. It is just an excuse to avoid taking refugees.

It was this dumb attitude that allowed millions of Jews to get murdered at the hands of the Germany.

The actual right thing is to take have a united front and send ground troops to stop the refugee flow. That was the right thing to do 5 years ago. It is the right thing to do now. Obviously, the public in this country lacks the foresight to support such a move.
So we should take on totally valueless people on the basis of subjective feelings?

Oh yes...because your excuse of "our affairs are not in order" is totally objective.

Have a heart, they're children

Yeh. It is more sensible to bring in small kids that will be a burden on the state for longer.

What a sad sad way to look at the world.

Would you take a look at this
Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

It was written by people worth far more than you will ever be.
What's the difference between 'virtue signalling' and Brexit signalling? If you want to leave the EU so much why don't you move to Russia instead of bitching on the Internet? Or at least campaign for brexit? I'd wager practically no one on here has bothered door knocking or campaigning for either side (I haven't, though I do chat to colleagues)

We're naturally social creatures who will share our opinion regardless of our ability to fulfil or influence decision making.

Charity is just a way for us escape out obligations by making them appear as rational choices. I blame religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/charity/against_1.shtml
Original post by Davij038
What's the difference between 'virtue signalling' and Brexit signalling? If you want to leave the EU so much why don't you move to Russia instead of bitching on the Internet? Or at least campaign for brexit? I'd wager practically no one on here has bothered door knocking or campaigning for either side (I haven't, though I do chat to colleagues)

We're naturally social creatures who will share our opinion regardless of our ability to fulfil or influence decision making.

Charity is just a way for us escape out obligations by making them appear as rational choices. I blame religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/charity/against_1.shtml

"Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim."

~ Clement Attlee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending