The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

I did something incredible just now.

I just got back from going to my biology professor's office having gone to ask her a question about something I didn't get. And even when she said "do you get it?" and I didn't, I said so! And she explained it again. THEN I GOT IT!!!!!! :woo: :awesome:

I don't remember a single occasion at school or uni when I have asked for help with material before.

Friends, good grades, happily married **** yeah! Now if only I can shut the voices up. :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I did something incredible just now.

I just got back from going to my biology professor's office having gone to ask her a question about something I didn't get. And even when she said "do you get it?" and I didn't, I said so! And she explained it again. THEN I GOT IT!!!!!! :woo: :awesome:

I don't remember a single occasion at school or uni when I have asked for help with material before.

Friends, good grades, happily married **** yeah! Now if only I can shut the voices up. :/

That's awesome saber!
Original post by Noodlzzz
That's awesome saber!

Thank you, Noodlzzz! :hat2: I'm only on a mid-C grade for this class right now and I have 2 exams left so hoping to pull it up to a B. :crossedf:

How's your job going? I like reading your updates, it sounds like things are really going well for you? :smile:
Thank you, Noodlzzz! :hat2: I'm only on a mid-C grade for this class right now and I have 2 exams left so hoping to pull it up to a B. :crossedf:

How's your job going? I like reading your updates, it sounds like things are really going well for you? :smile:

You can do it!

Really well thanks! It's really rewarding being able to make a difference in the short period they are with us. More updates to follow :smile:
Thanks for the rep, guys! :biggrin:

Things have come so far since I was utterly miserable at school and then the troubles of my first degree. Sometimes I still can't quite believe it. :colondollar:

I really do hope things improve for all you lovely people too. You guys definitely deserve it.
does anyone have any self-help tips for exam season? the stress is really getting to me lately and i could really do with some advice
Original post by moment of truth
Massive hugs :hugs: when is it due? Just take it bit by bit and do as much as you can :jumphug:

Thursday, I can't do it. I can't get the voices to get lost. I feel so low I don't even know why I'm bothering it's only going to be rubbish. :cry2:

Original post by Noodlzzz
You CAN do this :hugs:

I don't think I can. :cry2:
Original post by Anonymous
does anyone have any self-help tips for exam season? the stress is really getting to me lately and i could really do with some advice

Have you made a revision timetable? Like when you're going to do which topic per subject at which time? It can make you feel more relaxed as you can schedule more time for things you struggle with. BUT make sure to include lots of breaks. I find it difficult to concentrate for longer than 10/15minutes max so I have a break, pet the cat, check the hockey results, make a cup of coffee etc then get back to it. To start with you may feel like you're wasting time with breaks but they can really help keep your mind fresh and stop you burning out.

Something else I found extremely helpful was uploading a google doc of a study guide then you and your friends can team together to write notes for different parts - you get all the notes with a fraction of the work!
Original post by Pathway
Thursday, I can't do it. I can't get the voices to get lost. I feel so low I don't even know why I'm bothering it's only going to be rubbish. :cry2:

:hugs: Is it not possible to get an extension if you really feel unable to do it?
:hugs: Is it not possible to get an extension if you really feel unable to do it?

They don't allow extensions in that sense, it's like...you have to hand-in whatever you have done and then you get like "extra time" to do it, but they might cap the marks if you don't have a "valid" reason and because I'm not really getting support from basically anywhere atm I don't think I'll be able to get the extenuating circumstances either. Don't know if there's any point in it. I've basically given up with my degree at this point, the only reason I'm even doing it is because my mum keeps pestering me about if I've finished or not. :frown:
Original post by Pathway
They don't allow extensions in that sense, it's like...you have to hand-in whatever you have done and then you get like "extra time" to do it, but they might cap the marks if you don't have a "valid" reason and because I'm not really getting support from basically anywhere atm I don't think I'll be able to get the extenuating circumstances either. Don't know if there's any point in it. I've basically given up with my degree at this point, the only reason I'm even doing it is because my mum keeps pestering me about if I've finished or not. :frown:

Hmm, I see. Tbh, surely a capped mark is better than no mark? You've worked hard for 3 years and struggled through so much and have carried on in such a brave and impressive way maybe it's just a case of getting it over with now?

I would say, go make a cup of tea (coffee/red bull/hot chocolate/ribena, whatever you find most relaxing) then come back and spend 10 minutes just concentrating on it. Forget everything else for now. Just do that 10 minutes. I really have faith that you can do this.
Original post by Pathway

How much have you done so far? I wish I had advice that would actually be helpful :frown: I hope you are able to get most, if not all, of it done by our deadline :jumphug:
Reply 92
Original post by Pathway

I don't know how strict your uni is with evidence for ECs but I just took a picture of my antidepressants and made sure my name could be seen clearly on the label and that was accepted. :hugs:
I feel terrible last few days... Don't know why... Just feel like a useless piece of s*** :frown:....
Haven't heard back from PIP neither...not a word.... Complete silence, what's that all about? Can't even tell me where my claim is up to??? :frown:
God, I feel horrible... Didn't sleep well last night either, so many nightmares....
Hey guys :smile:

It's so nice to see a thread with loads of people on it who are the same as me :smile: makes me so happy
Reply 95
Feel like I can't breathe, haven't been able to stop crying in hours
Hmm, I see. Tbh, surely a capped mark is better than no mark? You've worked hard for 3 years and struggled through so much and have carried on in such a brave and impressive way maybe it's just a case of getting it over with now?

I would say, go make a cup of tea (coffee/red bull/hot chocolate/ribena, whatever you find most relaxing) then come back and spend 10 minutes just concentrating on it. Forget everything else for now. Just do that 10 minutes. I really have faith that you can do this.

I'm a very all-or-nothing kind of person...I'd much rather straight up fail than get a capped mark of 40...lol. Perfectionistic tendencies, I think. I need to see my disability adviser or something. Really should email my mentor too but I'm worried she will be mad at me for avoiding her. Ugh. I feel like I can't see my GP anymore because she doesn't understand what I'm going on about/where I'm coming from. The voices say she's got it in for me, so I don't really trust her anymore.

Original post by moment of truth
How much have you done so far? I wish I had advice that would actually be helpful :frown: I hope you are able to get most, if not all, of it done by our deadline :jumphug:

I've finished it mostly now (5.3k words out of 6k, we don't have a lower limit so that's good), just editing now. Need to do the abstract and a conclusion as well. It just feels like it's all wrong. Probably doesn't help that the voices have been shouting at me about how useless I am at everything. :sigh:

Original post by Anon #2
I don't know how strict your uni is with evidence for ECs but I just took a picture of my antidepressants and made sure my name could be seen clearly on the label and that was accepted. :hugs:

Can't take meds, so I don't have that option. I know all I have to do is go to my GP and get her to fill out this form, but I feel like I can't talk to her anymore. I know my disability adviser and mentor can fill it out, but I feel so demotivated with regards to most things. It's so annoying. I just need to get myself together, it's just really hard atm.

Spoiler

That and going between extremes of complete despair (with the added bonus of crying!) or just extreme numbness isn't helping things at all.

Basically, don't know what I'm doing with myself half the time. :s-smilie:
Had the meeting this morning. Felt good to get all the stuff and the shitty feelings out and into the open. Still not feeling great and honestly it's knocked me for six. :getmecoat:
Reply 98
At such a loss atm. Not been to get myself support yet, to busy hiding. Im not coping at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pathway
I've finished it mostly now (5.3k words out of 6k, we don't have a lower limit so that's good), just editing now. Need to do the abstract and a conclusion as well. It just feels like it's all wrong. Probably doesn't help that the voices have been shouting at me about how useless I am at everything. :sigh:

I know you said you prefer to have it all done and not hand in work that isn't completely done, but at least you have something to show for your hard work. I highly doubt it's all wrong, that is just your mind playing tricks with you and you definitely aren't useless! :hugs:

Latest