The Student Room Group

Does Tinder automatically locate your location even if you don't use it?

So basically met my girlfriend in one town, have been going out 3 months and now moved to another town together last week. I'm aware she had a Tinder account before we started going out as that's how we met. I deleted my account after we became 'exclusive' but I think she just stopped using it rather than deleting it. However I got a text from my buddy in the new town we live in yesterday with a screenshot of my girlfriends profile saying she was within 3 miles. My buddy said it probably doesn't mean anything as unactive profiles are kept on there for a while even after people stop being active on it. What's made me suspicious however is that it's updated her location. What I'd like to know is if this is just something Tinder automatically does if you have the app installed, or whether she'd have actively had to go onto her account in the last week since we moved here?

I hope it's nothing and I'm probably just being a bit paranoid. I don't want to confront her about it, because as I say it may just be that it updates automatically.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ralphieinker90
So basically met my girlfriend in one town, have been going out 3 months and now moved to another town together last week. I'm aware she had a Tinder account before we started going out as that's how we met. I deleted my account after we became 'exclusive' but I think she just stopped using it rather than deleting it. However I got a text from my buddy in the new town we live in yesterday with a screenshot of my girlfriends profile saying she was within 3 miles. My buddy said it probably doesn't mean anything as unactive profiles are kept on there for a while even after people stop being active on it. What's made me suspicious however is that it's updated her location. What I'd like to know is if this is just something Tinder automatically does if you have the app installed, or whether she'd have actively had to go onto her account in the last week since we moved here?

I hope it's nothing and I'm probably just being a bit paranoid. I don't want to confront her about it, because as I say it may just be that it updates automatically.

Why don't you just ask her about it? I have no idea why people like to make things so complicated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
or get friends to like her and see what she does.

Simply asking her can lead her to commit a cover up.
Original post by ripjonsnow

exactly. I don't want to ask her directly as like you say she may just cover it up. Also if it's a case of it just being her profile lingering and automatically updating her location then if I confront her it may cause an argument where ones not necessary.
have you considered *cough* ethically monitoring *cough* your gfs phone?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Yall are insecure and you don't trust your partners and that's why your relationships don't last or are very turbulent.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Yall are insecure and you don't trust your partners and that's why your relationships don't last or are very turbulent.

OP wants to find out, but he doesnt want to:

1. Weaken his relationship
2. Accuse his GF of doing something if she actually hasnt
3. Find out the TRUTH.

I hear girls do this kind of s*it all the time, so its goochi.
OP wants to find out, but he doesnt want to:

1. Weaken his relationship
2. Accuse his GF of doing something if she actually hasnt
3. Find out the TRUTH.

I hear girls do this kind of s*it all the time, so its goochi.

All he has to do is say, do you still use tinder, some people told me that they saw you on it.

It's really that simple. There will be no relationship weakening, no accucassions.
All he has to do is say, do you still use tinder, some people told me that they saw you on it.

It's really that simple. There will be no relationship weakening, no accucassions.

Then all she has to say is "no" and cover up any sign of trying to cheat.
(edited 4 years ago)
Then all she has to say is "no" and cover up any sign of trying to cheat.

How would he know that she's lying though? If she said no, why not believe her? Why would you be in a relationship with someone you don't trust? Or it could mean that he/you is just insecure and needs to work on himself/yourself.

If it turns out she's lying, the truth would turn up eventually but it's not your job to become an FBI agent just because you're in a loving relationship with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would he know that she's lying though? If she said no, why not believe her? Why would you be in a relationship with someone you don't trust? Or it could mean that he/you is just insecure and needs to work on himself/yourself.

If it turns out she's lying, the truth would turn up eventually but it's not your job to become an FBI agent just because you're in a loving relationship with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because why be on tinder if you are in a relationship?
That whole subject would raise a lot of flags in my head,
Because why be on tinder if you are in a relationship?
That whole subject would raise a lot of flags in my head,

If you never got around to uninstalling the app, you still show up on the swipe list so I don't see how it's a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's automatic. Some people use it for talk and conversation, and there's no need to undermine trust in your girlfriend. If she say, matched with your friend (ie. you've seen your friend's phone, and that your friend isn't lying to you,) then maybe that's a whole different story.
have you considered *cough* ethically monitoring *cough* your gfs phone?
spying on her really isn't the best option or solution.
Original post by emobambam
spying on her really isn't the best option or solution.

And her potentially lying is?
And her potentially lying is?
I don't want to sound corny or anything but you cant have a relationship without trust. If he doesn't trust her then there's something wrong with the relationship. It's either because of her infidelities or his insecurities but there's a problem in the relationship. If that problem isn't fixed then the relationship will never have a chance to last. Spying on your partner isn't going to help you trust them more. Once there's suspicion and doubt there will always be suspicions and doubt. it will just make the person want to catch their mate lying even more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Say 'my mate charlie reckons tinder is full of scammers these days, he says he's just seen someone using your photo... isn't that awful?'

see how she reacts to that.
Why don't you just Google whether or not Tinder automatically updates your location, and spare yourself of this theorising,..

Edit: Here I've done it for you

The general consensus amongst most pages is that you have to open the app for it to update, or have it on in the background.

"Tinder, for example, only pings your location when you have the app open (including if you leave it on in the background). It keeps the data about its most recent ping, and throws out the previous record. So Tinder doesn’t actually know where you’ve been over time. It only knows the last place you were at."

Source: http://observer.com/2015/08/it-turns-out-tinder-isnt-spying-on-your-dates/

Hmmm that was difficult now wasn't it... I'm sorry though, it does appear that she has at least opened the app, even if she didn't use it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest