The Student Room Group

Ramadan and GCSE support thread

Scroll to see replies

I personally believe as a true Muslim you should ignore those trying to lead you away from the straight path. Ramadan is compulsory whereas mocks is not. You will get more reward for the struggle you will face doing your mocks while fasting which will benefit in the long run (the hereafter). Ramadan is not something that can simply be missed unless you are seriously ill or fit the criteria of those who are allowed to miss such fasts.
If paracetamol helps you can have it during suhoor (or whatever you may call the period before fajr. Do eat that if you usually do not. It's sunnah to do so as it is better for your health)
Also, if you want I would suggest practising fasting during weekends just to get used to it.

Drink plenty of fluids and have a good rest everyday especially a few days before Ramadan and during Ramadan.

My sister also suffers from migraines and preparing before Ramadan seems to help her.
Also if you want to know the rulings on illnesses that allow one to make up their fasts please do not hesitate to ask.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spv
The whole point of it being practise, is to make it feel like the real exam to give a semi-accurate representation of the student's progress at that moment if they were to take the exam right then and there. So, I beg to differ; it does matter!

nope it doesn't, it doesnt get sent off to unis along with your a-levels, OP could try it for a day, besides as their exams come closer next year i presume, they will have plenty of mocks no doubt about that
Reply 22
Original post by Leukocyte
Yes it would be the same case.

Fasting does not lower your chances of getting the best grade you can.

You're not going to take your grades to the grave with you, are you?

You can take regret though.
Reply 23
Yes it would be the same case.

Fasting does not lower your chances of getting the best grade you can.

You're not going to take your grades to the grave with you, are you?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, so just because of that, even if you don't do well "atleast you fasted" therefore all is right in the world?
Fasting does affect your chances, because it's a sudden change in someone's diet. The whole point of fasting, from a scientific point, is to reboot your body, so actually LOTS of changes are happening, which could affect the person taking the exam. OP, in question, gets migraines easily and only feels obligated to fast because of religion. That's it. Not because she wants to.
You shouldn't let teachers simply brush you off and say "don't fast". Its a complusory part of Islam. that being said it is entirely up to you.
Original post by Zain-A
You shouldn't let teachers simply brush you off and say "don't fast". Its a complusory part of Islam. that being said it is entirely up to you.

The advice here that it's entirely up to the OP is totally true.
People are arguing between prioritising religion or prioritising exams.
Really I believe that disregarding the OPs religion makes things very confusing for them as things are not as black and white as there is a reason for their worry and choosing between them.

So yeah, OP. It's entirely up to you, what you believe is the right thing considering all the points everyone has made so far regarding your question.
Reply 26
Original post by spv
You both miss the fact that OP said they get migraines, plus a sudden change in diet and blood pressure is bound to affect OP, considering according to him/her, he/she's "weak".

Without studying properly, no God is going to give OP a better grade. You say take vitamins, but if you're fasting, doesn't that just detract from what you're fasting for, so what's the point? :colonhash:

The OP hasn't explained some stuff. Does she have an illness? Do the migraines come everyday? Is she on medication?
If the answer to these questions is no, then it is not allowed for her to miss a fast. Simple as.

Of course you can fast and study at the same time. OP isn't the first to do it.
There is nothing wrong with taking vitamins at suhoor time. I used to take some occasionally as I would get tired during the day.
Original post by aarora
Would your reply be the same if she had an actual exam rather than a practice one?

Yeah fair enough you get one shot at life BUT it's more important to do well in exams which could lead to great opportunities in the future, rather than doing poorly and ending up in bad situation e.g. unemployed in the future - doing good deeds won't fix OP's situation.

OP if you know you get migraines, don't fast. I have Muslim friends and they make up their fasts at a later date if they miss a day due to feeling unwell. In this case your exams are important and you need water to stay hydrated and to take into your exam and a good breakfast.

Yes it would.

A Muslim's priority in life is not the exams in this life, but rather to prepare for the next life which includes fulfilling religious obligations such as fasting. This comes first and foremost.
Fasting is not going to lead to unemployment lol that's kinda silly.

She can have water and a good meal at suhoor time like every other Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spv
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, so just because of that, even if you don't do well "atleast you fasted" therefore all is right in the world?
Fasting does affect your chances, because it's a sudden change in someone's diet. The whole point of fasting, from a scientific point, is to reboot your body, so actually LOTS of changes are happening, which could affect the person taking the exam. OP, in question, gets migraines easily and only feels obligated to fast because of religion. That's it. Not because she wants to.

Nothing dumb about it. You find it dumb. Fasting does not equate to not doing well in exams. They may have not worked as hard they should have.

No, it certainly has not affected a lot of Muslims in the past who have taken GCSE / A-Levels exams, nice try. They've come out with excellent grades.

It is compulsory.
Original post by HAnwar
You're not going to fail by fasting please :rolleyes:

Unless OP has a genuine medical condition she isn't excused from fasting.

Plenty of students fast every year and they do just fine.

As a Muslim I will not be fasting, I have no medical conditions but I know that if I do not eat I will lose concentration and get headaches making revision and exams much harder. I will make up my fasts after. Also allah said that we should not fast if it will have a really bad effect on you (although u are expected to feel hungry ofc) and seeing as these exams will effect the rest of my life I will pray for Allah to understand and that I still have faith but am also using common sense
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
As a Muslim I will not be fasting, I have no medical conditions but I know that if I do not eat I will lose concentration and get headaches making revision and exams much harder. I will make up my fasts after. Also allah said that we should not fast if it will have a really bad effect on you (although u are expected to feel hungry ofc) and seeing as these exams will effect the rest of my life I will pray for Allah to understand and that I still have faith but am also using common sense

That is your choice. It's sad people don't fast in such a blessed month where you have the opportunity to get closer to Allah and gain good deeds. It's funny how a headache can have such a big difference on how you perform. Exams aren't the only thing out there which will effect your life, wait for more to come.
Original post by HAnwar
You only get one shot at this life too, what's going to matter in the hereafter, her exams or good deeds?

OP fasting is compulsory and you will have to fast whether you have an exam or not.
You shouldn't worry too much, it's only a practice exam like you said.
Just drink plenty of water at suhoor and make sure you eat well.
Take any vitamins if you need to as well.

May Allah make your exams easy for you.

I have all my A-level exams during Ramadan damn it's gonna be a challenge to say the least
Original post by spv
Sorry, but Allah is not going to give you your grades unless you study for it.
Don't fast, study, and succeed.

so savage
Reply 32
I also think it is not worth to miss a fast over a practice exam. The more struggle, the more reward unless the illness has really really bad effects and could be dangerous for your health, then exam or not, you wouldn't really fast. Ramadhan is a blessed month! So take advantage and make dua - very powerful weapon! the see how it goes. Many (who may not be muslims) will say not to and it's understandable why they might say that because the topic may seem pretentious and also sound like rubbish :smile: but us being from the religious perspective understand YOUR position and want you to see that missing a fast is not worth it. We still have time till your exam so see how your days go and on the nght before see how you feel! Inshallah you do fast because who knows, this could be this action that may be the biggest and most rewarded Allah grants you! This could be the thing which helps you pass the bigger test of life! (Jannah or Jahannam) Have faith in the Lord - surely he does what's best and whatever happens within good reason. study your hardest before the exam and then leave the rest to Allah and he'll grant you what you deserve. Good luck x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by qwertyuipdoe

Losing concentration and having headaches is hardly something that will have a really bad effect on you.

Using common sense doesn't mean you don't fast. It means you eat properly at suhoor and drink lots of water so you don't feel dehydrated.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I do think a lot of people are making a big deal out of this. Students have fasted before and will do in the future whilst sitting exams. It's completely fine provided you eat sensibly in the morning.
Whether you want to sacrifice your fasting for this dunya is up to you.

Original post by KINGYusuf
I have all my A-level exams during Ramadan damn it's gonna be a challenge to say the least

Sounds tough, but Allah will guide you through it Insha Allah.
May Allah make your exams easy for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol, don't fast? There's something called "making-up-a-missed-fast"- don't worry, u won't be sent to hellfire, looool.
From an Islamic perspective it is an obligation to fast and exams are not a sufficient reasons to be exempt and neither are migraines unless they could cause tremendous physical/memtal damage and breaking your fast is the only way to solve it.

People seem to also be underestimating the severity of breaking your fast by saying 'I'll just make up for it later'.
If you intentially break your fast without a valid excuse the sin is believed to be worse then that of a prostitute. Some scholars go even further and say intentionally breaking your fast is such a major sin that removes you from the boundaries of Islam, as such you become a kaafir.

So take a long think about what you want to chose; your religion or entering the exam hall with abit of a headache.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by IRoranth
Lol, don't fast? There's something called "making-up-a-missed-fast"- don't worry, u won't be sent to hellfire, looool.

There are also things called 'pillars of Islam' which fasting comes under!

Ah wouldn't we all wish it was that easy. How do you know that one fast or one prayer is the thing that stops you from entering jannah? Why take that risk?
Migraines are minor though and just a lame reason to not fast. It's not like she has cancer. Even those who have an illness still fast and succeed in exams.

Migraines are not minor.... My mum suffers from terrible migraines and the migraines literally have her in bed crying with all the lights off(light makes it worse) and constantly throwing up. She's had to call the ambulance 3x because they're the bad. The last thing OP wants is getting a migraine during an exam
Original post by IRoranth

There's a reason there is a whole month for one to fast.
If you miss one Ramadan fast for a reason not specified as one that exempts a person from fasting you would have to fast for 60 days. That's how much one day or Ramadan fast is worth! (However if they did have a reason that is sufficient then one day is enough for each day missed)
If you do not have the knowledge of the rulings nor the time to research such and thereby give false advice you are harming others and yourself.
It is obligatory on every Muslim to seek at least the general knowledge concerning the pillars of Islam including the rulings of exemption amongst other things. To remain ignorant of them is disobeying Allahs commands as following his rulings blindly and wrongly at the same time is very displeasing to him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Migraines are not minor.... My mum suffers from terrible migraines and the migraines literally have her in bed crying with all the lights off(light makes it worse) and constantly throwing up. She's had to call the ambulance 3x because they're the bad. The last thing OP wants is getting a migraine during an exam

If migraines are this bad that the person is throwing up he/she will be exempt from fasting.

Quick Reply

Latest