The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature Elements of the gothic section B

Hi, I'm confused about how to structure a section B response in the A2 English lit exam. I understand that we have to answer on all 3 texts studies and are given a themed question which we have to explore in each text. My teacher tells us that we must make connections across the texts (not comparisons) but we should still use connectives such as 'similarly'. They advise to use the 'plaiting technique' when discussing each text because it is not good enough to talk about each one separately? Does anyone understand what she means by this? If someone could clear this up for me it would be great! How are other people being told to answer this section?
Thank you!
Original post by VictoriaS_xoxo
Hi, I'm confused about how to structure a section B response in the A2 English lit exam. I understand that we have to answer on all 3 texts studies and are given a themed question which we have to explore in each text. My teacher tells us that we must make connections across the texts (not comparisons) but we should still use connectives such as 'similarly'. They advise to use the 'plaiting technique' when discussing each text because it is not good enough to talk about each one separately? Does anyone understand what she means by this? If someone could clear this up for me it would be great! How are other people being told to answer this section?
Thank you!

I think your teacher just means not to make comparisons like "However, author A shows a different aspect to author B because". Or, "unlike text A, text B shows". By using connectives like similarly, I think your teacher just means "text A.... so and so. Similarly in text B...". Just make brief connections, rather than comparisons. So for connections that could be connecting conventions of Gothic literature like settings or just connecting context.

Your teacher is saying not to just write one paragraph on text A, paragraph 2 on text B and paragraph 3 on text C. Your teacher wants to make sure you are discussing all three texts simultaneously and interweaving the three texts as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending