The Student Room Group

Does anyone get sick of hearing about Hillsborough?

I mean it happened such a long time ago it obviously wasn't intentional yet we have to keep hearing about it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ah well at least we won't have to listen to *******s like this from Boris any more

Liverpool is a handsome city with a tribal sense of community. A combination of economic misfortune - its docks were, fundamentally, on the wrong side of England when Britain entered what is now the European Union - and an excessive predilection for welfarism have created a peculiar, and deeply unattractive, psyche among many Liverpudlians. They see themselves whenever possible as victims, and resent their victim status; yet at the same time they wallow in it. Part of this flawed psychological state is that they cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance against the rest of society. The deaths of more than 50 Liverpool football supporters at Hillsborough in 1989 was undeniably a greater tragedy than the single death, however horrible, of Mr Bigley; but that is no excuse for Liverpool's failure to acknowledge, even to this day, the part played in the disaster by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground that Saturday afternoon. The police became a convenient scapegoat, and the Sun newspaper a whipping-boy for daring, albeit in a tasteless fashion, to hint at the wider causes of the incident.
No, but don't worry I'm sure you won't hear of it much longer with justice finally being done
Reply 3
Absolutely not, seeing Justice being delivered for those families and the 96 that died whose families had campaigned for it, was a truly momentous moment and one that will go down in legal history. The verdict delivered Yesterday proves that nobody, not even the authorities are above the law and that is something that is of importance to everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, it's a bit ridiculous really.
As the above said, it should quieten down now though.
Reply 5
God thanks it will be over soon.
It was several days of build up and then one day for the families of the 96 to finally get justice after 27 years. Get over it. They deserve every bit and every second of attention.
Reply 7
Original post by karl pilkington
I mean it happened such a long time ago it obviously wasn't intentional yet we have to keep hearing about it.

It is over now I think
(the enquiry that is)
Not really.

Police cover ups, lies, silencing of actual witnesses and high ups abusing power is important news. How many times does it have to happen before we force the establishment to change? The tories have already tried to ban freedom of info.

As someone who wasn't born in Britain and didn't live here until I was an adult (though I'm a natural born British citizen), I've never felt it's my place to question it. But I've been here for years now, so here goes...

Does anyone seriously believe this would have happened at a cricket match? How on earth can it be found that they were "unlawfully killed"? It was a tragic accident. Tragic accidents happen all the time. But somehow the north, deep down, believe that the south is responsible for this. They'll never stop banging this drum
Don't really understand how it was unlawful? Did the police force all these people to turn up? And did they force them into an overcrowded stadium? The whole thing was tragic but it was an accident. The police and stadium authorities didn't kill those people on purpose

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't want to hear about it, you can avoid watching or reading about it. Try to be a bit more sensitive.
They get a week in the news every year.
The Scousers use it as a weapon against other British people.

Funny how they never mourn or take responcibility for the Heysel Disaster
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
As someone who wasn't born in Britain and didn't live here until I was an adult (though I'm a natural born British citizen), I've never felt it's my place to question it. But I've been here for years now, so here goes...

Does anyone seriously believe this would have happened at a cricket match? How on earth can it be found that they were "unlawfully killed"? It was a tragic accident. Tragic accidents happen all the time. But somehow the north, deep down, believe that the south is responsible for this. They'll never stop banging this drum

This has nothing to do with the North-South divide. It was all to do with the lax efforts of the polie force and the organisation at the Hillsborough stadium.

It wasn't just an accident... the accident was that everyone went to the middle of the stand... the unlawful killing was letting the thousands of added Liverpool fans into the main stand when it was already at full capacity.

P.S this is coming from a 18 year Liverpool fan from East Ham.
Disgracefully whimsical comments on this thread regarding the suffering of fellow Brits. Shame on you.
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse

exactly I kind of think they were given the label 'unlawfully killed' to get them to shut up about it as well as the home secretary going on about their dignity and determination. It was a tragic accident people die every day.
Original post by hovado
Ah well at least we won't have to listen to *******s like this from Boris any more

Be fair, that was published in 2004, many years before the true story had emerged and when the police had officially briefed politicians and the press with self-serving lies, up[on which Boris based his comments.

Yes i do. I hate seeing people constantly repeating "Nobody should go to a football game and not return home" like they are some sort of great philosopher lol Kid just stfu
(edited 7 years ago)
Liverpool are a grief filled community.
They even mourn chickens.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Not really.

Police cover ups, lies, silencing of actual witnesses and high ups abusing power is important news. How many times does it have to happen before we force the establishment to change? The tories have already tried to ban freedom of info.

this

Criminal incompetence leading to deaths (ie corporate manslaughter) is bad enough - the perversion of justice and libelling of the victims is worthy of a LOT of attention

If it doesn't worry people that the authorities could cover up culpability in a football stadium full of witnesses broadcast on national tv then you're far more trusting than I am

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending