The Student Room Group

Do you think the terms of the student loans repayments will change?

It's easy to say that you don't pay anything until you earn over £21k, and even then it's 9% of the income, but do you think that might change to royally screw us all over before the 30 years is up and the loan wiped?

Just curious to hear thoughts, if you think it will change - what could it possibly change to?
Reply 1
Original post by scrunkie
It's easy to say that you don't pay anything until you earn over £21k, and even then it's 9% of the income, but do you think that might change to royally screw us all over before the 30 years is up and the loan wiped?

Just curious to hear thoughts, if you think it will change - what could it possibly change to?

Changes are likely but probably not hugely substantial. After all, the affected former students will be a large proportion of the population, each with a vote...

It really depends on future economic conditions. My view is they may delay the write-off date by a year or two. After all they have pushed back pension dates, and this would be similar. So people will be working longer, therefore why write-off quite so early.

It would also be a relatively politically painless change, unlike lowering the payment threshold or increasing the 9%, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Any changes to the system are made to new applicants, not existing ones.
You've already made your agreements.

So no, don't be preposterous.
Reply 3
Original post by Inazuma
Any changes to the system are made to new applicants, not existing ones.
You've already made your agreements.

So no, don't be preposterous.

Says who? The government (i.e. parliament) can retrospectively change anything although by covention it's rare.

Oh and they previously said they would annually increase the £21k threshold in line with rising earnings. They haven't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Says who? The government (i.e. parliament) can retrospectively change anything although by covention it's rare.

Oh and they previously said they would annually increase the £21k threshold in line with rising earnings. They haven't.

I've not seen any new changes that have retrospectively affected students, only prospectively. I find it difficult to believe anyone can suggest they'd randomly change that after 25 years.

I also struggle to believe they'd change existing contract, particularly the Tories since upholding contracts and fairness is a pretty basic principle.

That wasn't them changing the agreement though, (I would've thought that'd be for new students) that was merely intending to do something but changing their mind. Not sure of the reasons or whether or not I agree, but so be it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending