The Student Room Group

What are the top 10 worst things parents could say or do during revision period?

A new survey by the National Citizen Service (NCS) has revealed these as the top 10 worst things your parents could say or do during revision time.

Agree? Have your parents said anything that's not on the list that is definitely a big no no? :laugh:

Top 10 worst things parents could say or do during revision period

1. "Shouldn’t you be revising?” (52%)

2.“Just do your best” (34%)

3. “Can you really think with that music on?” (27%)

4. “How can you work with all those screens on?” (23%)

5. “If you’ve put in the time you’ll be ok“ (19%)

6. Confiscate your mobile phone (19%)

7. “Exams are so much easier these days” (15%)

8. Saying things like “Is that YouTuber really helping with your revision” (13%)

9. Pretending to know more than they do (10%)

10. Micromanaging your revision calendar (9%)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Omg, yes to the music. And when I tell my mother the grade or marks I achieved on the past paper I just solved as a test, she'll ask me if I cheated. :rofl: Which is not true, by the way.
I agree with that list so much. "Shouldnt you be revising?" is the worst because I know I'm supposed to be revising, I just don't want constant reminder of that :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum emailed my head of year and said 'he does no work at home whatsoever, please speak to him!'.

I then did a bit for a few days and went back to doing nothing. (To be fair, I did a lot of revision on the bus to and from school if I wasn't reading a book).

GCSEs. :moon:
Number 7 always gets me. If that were true then just anyone could sit the exam and get an A without trying, but clearly, that doesn't happen so bugger off.
If there is no time then the chance of any revision is naught. Especially, demoralizing words like go to sleep when im in the middle of my jam/cram/session revising like theres no tomorrow. Even if we do procrastinate don't complain and get in the way when we are actually revising.
I think the worst one is "But you revise SO much, how can you not be okay?" when in reality you sit in your room for more time than you should and spend over half of it on TSR "revising".
(edited 7 years ago)
"That pile of paper on your bedside was meant to go in the recycling, right?"

Funnily enough what my mum did when I was doing my AS, luckily they were just scrap notes and a few past exam papers I did which I recovered from the recycling bin.

If she did that to my actual uni lecture notes/past exam papers now and I couldn't get them back I'd actually cry.
It doesn't matter if you fail.

You can still get into London Met
I am not sure if this prayer scares you or not but I know that the Arab moms tend to say it a lot during the exams " May god reward you for your hard work "
Though I really work hard but when she says it I feels like I never opened a book xD
Reply 10
"Zulu Do you even revise when you go upstairs?"

"Yes I do mum"

"That's good keep revising."

*feel guilty for sleeping and going on TSR and YouTube*
You are going to get into uni aren't you?:colonhash::colonhash:
Reply 12
Oohhhhh the best bit- I love my parents

"Mum, it's Zulus turn to cook/clean/shop"

"No, she needs to revise and not stress about anything else"

"I need to revise as well"

"She's doing a degree, it's more important the GCSEs" (ouch)

I sit and laugh in the background and carry on watching YouTube Clips :colone:
When i get back from teabagging your mother, you better have brushed up on your maths skills
My parents for the last two years have urged me to revise and the moment I actually get into the flow of it, they decide that's the best time to start vacuuming, cleaning the house, shifting furniture and shouting and just making so much noise
Reply 15
My daddy doesn't care. He leaves me to my own devices when it comes to studying. :h:
Original post by EllainKahlo
Number 7 always gets me. If that were true then just anyone could sit the exam and get an A without trying, but clearly, that doesn't happen so bugger off.

No, it doesn't mean that. They're saying 'they are easier'. You are saying 'they are so easy that they require no work or intelligence'. One of these is a relative statement. The other is absolute.

My parents never did 6, but it probably would have helped me. And 3. is a totally fair comment. If you think you can concentrate better whilst listening to music, you're wrong. You can't. If you concentrate as well when you have music on as when you don't, what you are doing is ignoring the music, in which case you may as well switch it off.
"Don't disappoint us"
Original post by ZuluK
"Zulu Do you even revise when you go upstairs?"

Original post by ZuluK
Oohhhhh the best bit- I love my parents

"Mum, it's Zulus turn to cook/clean/shop"

Your parents call you by your TSR user name? :holmes:

The worst thing is when they walk in, like once every couple of hours, just as you've taken a break. Then make a comment like "Every time I see you, you're never revising"
Reply 19
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
Your parents call you by your TSR user name? :holmes:

The worst thing is when they walk in, like once every couple of hours, just as you've taken a break. Then make a comment like "Every time I see you, you're never revising"

My TSR name is my real name :colonhash: are you saying that you aren't Bhagwans Bhool? :shock:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending