The Student Room Group

Noisy house mates

Hello,
My long term relationship girlfriend is on her final year of UNI , and is having to deal with noisy incorporating student house mates, to give you a mental image, they are one female which is friendly and good friends, and the rest are three males and one female that all drink protein shakes and work out, and can barely hold a conversation.
Yet they seem to think playing music until 3AM is ok?
Bearing in mind my girlfriend and her friend that live with these apes work weekends and this is the final few months of university.

Now myself and others have tried to talk to them and no improvement, they don't seem to respect anything, one littrally smashed the bin and has left it.

They started a awkward house share by ignoring the two females in the house thus making a larger group and trying to control it. Now these apes littrally won't make eye contact and even talk with them so anything goes wrong they quite littrally talk amongst each other and then message the two I represent and blame them and tell them to sort it out...

They won't respond with any agreements, I tried talking to them and one actually said, well we can piss about as much as we like cause we are students...
Surely there is some sort of legal action or even action we can take with the university to put them in line, these guys are targeting a smaller group and bullying them, and I have no power to stop it, what action can actually be taken!???

Mega thankful for any positive response.

I know this is probably a conman subject but myself and others have tried talking to them, I work full time and I am trying to fix this but they just will not come to any agreement, to the point they made a comment that one of the girls singing in the shower at 10am was unacceptable... And now she is afraid of speaking up...
Help please if you can, would be amazing
Is the house university or private LL's?
Are they all students? 2nd years?

The danger is any intervention you have to be prepared for things to get worse and hosile.

1. Look at the tenancy agreement and see if there are any terms aboyr behaviour re other tenants. You cna talk to the LL or propertyy company, but they might be more interested in keeping the 5.

2. The Uni would be a much better bet. She should see someone either in the SU and see how you cna make a ccomplaint v other students. You might be able to complain to their department, but its very much like telling the teacher.

3. If it was uni property then thats much easier to enforce as they have byelaws, where they cna fine and enforce things v other students.

You do need evidence though ebcayse they will just deny it and there are more of them. I cna see why they ignoe you becayse you arenta house member or even a student.Have a look at your options and consider whether your hf might not just be better getting ear protectors or ear plus to avoid the noise. there are potential things you might try, but it depends as above. you dont ahve any time to try anything legal and i dount theres anything anyway. They would pay attention f they go a waning from the uni or department , but it is hitting the nucclear button as here will be bad blood. As said though she only has a few months left.
I've moved this to the uni life forum :smile:
Reply 3
Why did she move in with them lol?

Just keep calling the police once it gets past 11pm.
Original post by Inazuma
Why did she move in with them lol?

Just keep calling the police once it gets past 11pm.

You would call the police for someone putting their stereo on or making a noise after 11pm? They wont be interested and have better things to do.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
You would call the police for someone putting their stereo on or making a noise after 11pm? They wont be interested and have better things to do.

OP suggested it was more than a mere bit of noise. Having loud music till 3am is not acceptable.
If it were my neighbors, I'd call the police. And they do attend, complaints can go to environmental health too. Enough complaints and the LL will start getting in trouble. Which would stop the prats being imbeciles.
I've seen it many a time, just look at half the tab stories and ones on here. It's very amusing.

Plus I'd dip their toothbrushes in the loo for good measure.
Laxatives in their milk too.
Original post by Inazuma
OP suggested it was more than a mere bit of noise. Having loud music till 3am is not acceptable.
If it were my neighbors, I'd call the police. And they do attend, complaints can go to environmental health too. Enough complaints and the LL will start getting in trouble. Which would stop the prats being imbeciles.
I've seen it many a time, just look at half the tab stories and ones on here. It's very amusing.

Plus I'd dip their toothbrushes in the loo for good measure.
Laxatives in their milk too.

The noise is in the house, there was no suggestion it was affecring the neighbours.

If you drag them out it maybe quietens them down, but they are now in a house where they have made direct enemies of the rest of the housemates, who can if they wish make it miserable for the two in there.

Enviornmental health wont do anything its internal. Its for her to sort out with her housemates or the LL to sort out.. If they wnat to resort to spiking their food, then they will simply retaliate and what will that do to her revision time? She has 2 months to get though.
Reply 7
The noise is in the house, there was no suggestion it was affecring the neighbours.

If you drag them out it maybe quietens them down, but they are now in a house where they have made direct enemies of the rest of the housemates, who can if they wish make it miserable for the two in there.

Enviornmental health wont do anything its internal. Its for her to sort out with her housemates or the LL to sort out.. If they wnat to resort to spiking their food, then they will simply retaliate and what will that do to her revision time? She has 2 months to get though.

Okay okay I did assume, but I doubt that anyone quietly plays music at 3am so that only their housemates can hear it, I'd strongly assume they're partying or being loud enough to be heard outside, doesn't take much at 3am.

Oh yeah, that's why you make it things like I suggested that they'd never guess :wink: Maybe their milk was just off..

LL is always an option, but most student LLs are lazy at the best of times.
Original post by Inazuma
Okay okay I did assume, but I doubt that anyone quietly plays music at 3am so that only their housemates can hear it, I'd strongly assume they're partying or being loud enough to be heard outside, doesn't take much at 3am.

Oh yeah, that's why you make it things like I suggested that they'd never guess :wink: Maybe their milk was just off..

LL is always an option, but most student LLs are lazy at the best of times.

Ofc theyd guess if it happened more than once and then they make your life hell. Dont forget these are inconsiderate neanderthals as it is, so they wont hold back in exacting revenge and making it extremely miserable for them. Not the thing you need during your finals. Her best bet is that its Uni owned and they will pay attention then. If its a private LL they will be more bothered with 5 tenants over 2.
Reply 9
Ofc theyd guess if it happened more than once and then they make your life hell. Dont forget these are inconsiderate neanderthals as it is, so they wont hold back in exacting revenge and making it extremely miserable for them. Not the thing you need during your finals. Her best bet is that its Uni owned and they will pay attention then. If its a private LL they will be more bothered with 5 tenants over 2.

That's why you keep changing it up. Fattening substances in their protein powder... spiders planted in their rooms. No-one will suspect the toothbrush.

It would be good for OP if it's uni owned indeed, sadly I get the impression it isn't.
That stargey is just going to put them into warfare with 5 v 2 and they will retalliate. Its a bad course of action to follow when you wnat to be finishing your exams and revising,
Unfortunately I thought this would be the case :-/ it is a private land lord or at least a company that does many student lets. They don't really care about anything, they even sold the place as having sound proof interior walls...

I have taken screen shots and so have others of what they have types to the girls, was extremely tempted to send said shots to the parents of the apes, as if I had a son and they treated females like that I would near enough kill them :-/
But girlfriend said I was not aloud :-(

But don't want to go putting stuff in there food as then legally I'm in the wrong...

Bearing in mind they all go gym and what have you they are fairly intimidating, they know and use that fact... Luckily they are about as smart as a ape... Hence I nick named them that...

Actually recorded our conversation and told them near the beginning that I was recording it and they flipped, and a week later one said to me that he had googled it and it's illegal to record people... I did not have the heart or patience to tell him it's illegal to publish recordings of others without consent and that I informed them that I was recording so they where Within there rights to stay silent. (Voice record by the way)

So guessing the best I can do is collect all the data, and when my girlfriend moves out, compile a report and send it to the university and land lord, explaining the situation and demanding some sort of compensation or punishment for there antics ?
If the landlord won't act (which I imagine they wont, it's just not in their interests) and you've spoken to them and tried to reason then there is nothing you can do at all.

A few points - don't get involved in your girlfriend's flat, you don't live there or pay rent, it's her situation... don't call people apes just because they work out and drink protein shakes, I work out and sometimes drink protein and I can assure you I'm intelligent.

Personally, if I was the girls I would be up early every morning making as much noise as possible in retaliation, but it probably wouldn't help the situation. There isn't really anything you can do if your flatmates are *******s, you have no control over them and no one will be interested in trying to stop them as it is simply too much work... I've heard stories of people being attacked, having expensive property damaged etc and halls/university still refusing to step in.

Asking for compensation after will achieve nothing either, better to just get to the end of the year and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending