The Student Room Group

What should I do?

Im currently studying AS levels: Chemistry biology geography and english language
I really want to study medicine but I heard that without maths its very unlikely that i would get a place.

I will definitely be continuing biology and chemistry to A2, but im not sure whether I should continue geography or english language.

I love geography, but I think it will be alot more difficult for me to get a good grade in it.

Im quite good at english language and I think i could possibly get an A* in it, whereas i dont think I could for geography, an A would be possible but i think that would mean my biology and chemistry wont be as good because its quite content heavy wheras english is not.

The only problem is, english is seen as a weak subject and to do medicine science-y subjects are needed. Geography would be a lot more respected because its a traditional subject, but should I be doing the subject im most likely to get a good grade in or the subject that I like more and is more respected?

Will I even have a chance at uni for medicine without maths?

What do you guys think about my chances of getting into medicine, if i get AABB at AS, taking into consideration i've had medical problems and missed some college(although im hoping for 4As)
my gcse grades were 2A* 7A and 1B (not amazing but the 2nd best in my school). My extra curricular is really good I think, ive done loads of things including voluntary work and drama sports debating ect

Or should I just look for something else to study? Ive had a look at the Global health and social medicine degree at Kings and it seems really interesting, or a degree in nutrition would be something I'd consider aswell, im really not sure but medicine is what i want to do, but realistically theres no point applying to be rejected.

What do you guys think, sorry this is so long, i am just so confused right now:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tr.12
Im currently studying AS levels: Chemistry biology geography and english language
I really want to study medicine but I heard that without maths its very unlikely that i would get a place.

Where did you hear this?
It's completely untrue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tr.12

I will definitely be continuing biology and chemistry to A2, but im not sure whether I should continue geography or english language.

I love geography, but I think it will be alot more difficult for me to get a good grade in it.

Im quite good at english language and I think i could possibly get an A* in it, whereas i dont think I could for geography, an A would be possible but i think that would mean my biology and chemistry wont be as good because its quite content heavy wheras english is not.

The only problem is, english is seen as a weak subject and to do medicine science-y subjects are needed. Geography would be a lot more respected because its a traditional subject, but should I be doing the subject im most likely to get a good grade in or the subject that I like more and is more respected?

What do you guys think about my chances of getting into medicine, if i get AABB at AS, taking into consideration i've had medical problems and missed some college(although im hoping for 4As)
my gcse grades were 2A* 7A and 1B (not amazing but the 2nd best in my school). My extra curricular is really good I think, ive done loads of things including voluntary work and drama sports debating ect

Or should I just look for something else to study? Ive had a look at the Global health and social medicine degree at Kings and it seems really interesting, or a degree in nutrition would be something I'd consider aswell, im really not sure but medicine is what i want to do, but realistically theres no point applying to be rejected.

What do you guys think, sorry this is so long, i am just so confused right now:smile:

You definitely do not need maths. Only one college at Cambridge requires maths and only Cambridge requires three sciences.

English is not a 'weak' subject. You'll need biology and chemistry and it won't matter what you carry on with for your third, as long as you get at least an A.

Focus on getting good grades and kicking ass in the UKCAT.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Where did you hear this?
It's completely untrue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On here and around the internet
So I asked the careers advisor at my sixth form and she said its practically impossible without at least an AS in maths
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
You definitely do not need maths. Only one college at Cambridge requires maths and only Cambridge requires three sciences.

English is not a 'weak' subject. You'll need biology and chemistry and it won't matter what you carry on with for your third, as long as you get at least an A.

Focus on getting good grades and kicking ass in the UKCAT.

Thank you, but do you think it will disadvantage me because most applicants will have maths? And are my gcse grades good enough because most people have like 10A*
Original post by tr.12

You won't be able to apply to some UNIS without maths but a large number don't require it. I didn't do maths at AS and I got offered a place regardless- it's biology and chemistry that are essential.
I do geography at A2 and it's quite enjoyable. Your third A2 doesn't really matter as long as you get an A in it.
Original post by tr.12
Thank you, but do you think it will disadvantage me because most applicants will have maths? And are my gcse grades good enough because most people have like 10A*

Nobody cares about maths except for Cambridge. It won't disadvantage you at all.

Most people don't have grades like that. It slightly depends on what your B is in, but generally as long as you avoid the GCSE heavy schools (Cardiff, Birmingham etc) you will still have plenty of options.
Original post by thezoolander
You won't be able to apply to some UNIS without maths but a large number don't require it. I didn't do maths at AS and I got offered a place regardless- it's biology and chemistry that are essential.
I do geography at A2 and it's quite enjoyable. Your third A2 doesn't really matter as long as you get an A in it.

The only uni they can't apply to is Cambridge.
Reply 8
Nobody cares about maths except for Cambridge. It won't disadvantage you at all.

Most people don't have grades like that. It slightly depends on what your B is in, but generally as long as you avoid the GCSE heavy schools (Cardiff, Birmingham etc) you will still have plenty of options.

The B is in drama, but that was because one peice of coursework wasnt submitted which meant me getting a U and then averaging a B
Original post by tr.12
The B is in drama, but that was because one peice of coursework wasnt submitted which meant me getting a U and then averaging a B

Then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck with your application when the time comes.
Reply 10
Original post by thezoolander

I really want to continue geography but not unless im sure I can get a high A/A*
But on my exam board, edexcel, unit 3 and 4 seems really difficult and content heavy so im not sure
Although, since chemsitry bioloy and english are linear, geography isnt which would mean less exams but it seems like a2 is still a lot of content
Reply 11
Then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck with your application when the time comes.

Thank you!
Original post by tr.12
On here and around the internet
So I asked the careers advisor at my sixth form and she said its practically impossible without at least an AS in maths

Your careers advisor has given you terrible advice.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Your careers advisor has given you terrible advice.

Given how often this gets asked, I wonder if many careers advisers have actually researched what you need for Medicine, or just assume you must need it for all the complex equations medics do on a day to day basis. :facepalm:
Given how often this gets asked, I wonder if many careers advisers have actually researched what you need for Medicine, or just assume you must need it for all the complex equations medics do on a day to day basis. :facepalm:

I know. All we can do is keep on repeating the truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending