The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons - Social Anxiety & Depression

Hi everyone sorry to bother you, I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on if my compelling personal reasons would be substantial enough to get back a year's tuition fee loan funding?

As I know the equation for student finance tuition fee loan is length of your course + 1 year minus any years previously studied so

I completed the foundation year in 2010 and went on to start the first year of my degree in September 2011, at the time I was suffering from undiagnosed social anxiety which led to me over-pressurising myself, thinking lowly of my self and my self esteem was at an all time low and was also suffering from extremely uncomfortable and painful IBS that was linked to the stress which was also undiagnosed at the time, and was a result of neglect in my family home.

I stayed in the first year of the course until April of 2012 but due to the impact that the social anxiety was having on my wellbeing at the time it prevented me asking for help from anyone that was in my family home or outside such as people from the university.

Fast forward 4 years and I've got my life back together and I'm currently studying an access course as I wish to return to education and have all distinctions on my course so far and have been accepted a place at Manchester Metropolitan University.

I've sent a cover letter explaining my situation at the time of the course outlining the affect the social anxiety and IBS had on me and stated that it was long standing but at the time I was at university the first time was undiagnosed.

The cover letter also includes all dates from when I started the foundation year to when I withdrew from my course in the first year and includes the dates of the one-to-one support I received after I had finished the course from a cognitive behaviour psychologist.

I've also sent the psychologist's headed NHS letter explaining my situation and that the issues I was suffering from were of long standing effect and prevented me from continuing my studies.

As far as the evidence provided would you say I had a fair claim for compelling personal reasons?

Thanks for your time :smile:
Pergaps get this moved to the SFE section so they can explain the criteria for compelling personal reasons. If you are appealing on these grounds they should have directed you to the information where you can get a better idea.
Original post by 999tigger
Pergaps get this moved to the SFE section so they can explain the criteria for compelling personal reasons. If you are appealing on these grounds they should have directed you to the information where you can get a better idea.

How do I delete it?
report it and ask for it to be deleted or just remove the text. If the SFE are currenlty reviewing your claim , then imo they wont comment whether you ahve a good or weak case, but leave it to the people who are reviewing your case. Its only their opinion that matters.
Reply 5
Social anxiety? - Bish please. We all go through that.

IBS? - Do your revision on the toilet seat.

Quick Reply