The Student Room Group

Can I register with multiple GPs (doctors) whilst at university?

Hi Guys,

I've almost finished my first year of university and have been recently wanting to see a doctor regarding some mental issues I've been having.

My university is approximately two hours from my home location where I'm registered with a GP, but obviously this is inconvenient for me at uni, and in the event of an emergency I need somewhere local I can go for a doctor.

Is it possible to register with two GPs, one at home and one at uni? The issue I need to see the doctor about is something that likely won't be 'cured' in a short period of time, so I don't know what might happen if I see a doctor at uni about it and then end up going home for the summer in two months time where I'll be unable to see that doctor.

Any suggestions?
Reply 1
i thought when u start uni like on freshers week u register with the GP at uni on freshers
Reply 2
Original post by MevMev
i thought when u start uni like on freshers week u register with the GP at uni on freshers

I was so busy/hungover in freshers week I unfortunately didn't really get around to doing it, which is stupid I know, and since I don't get majorly sick very often I just never got around to it.

The problem is that I've heard many students giving the uni doctors a bad review, apparently getting appointments is extremely difficult and the professionalism there isn't great. If I did sign up to a new GP I was planning on using another local practice that has much better reviews.
Reply 3
Original post by MevMev

Not everyone does that. My uni don't have a GP for us to register to, we register with local GPs who come into the uni during Freshers.

Original post by toby95
Hi Guys,

I've almost finished my first year of university and have been recently wanting to see a doctor regarding some mental issues I've been having.

My university is approximately two hours from my home location where I'm registered with a GP, but obviously this is inconvenient for me at uni, and in the event of an emergency I need somewhere local I can go for a doctor.

Is it possible to register with two GPs, one at home and one at uni? The issue I need to see the doctor about is something that likely won't be 'cured' in a short period of time, so I don't know what might happen if I see a doctor at uni about it and then end up going home for the summer in two months time where I'll be unable to see that doctor.

Any suggestions?

I don't think you can. I registered with a new GP in Scotland for mental health issues after moving from N.Ireland - and I am now off the N.Irish GP's practice list.
Reply 4
You can register with your university GP however you will be taken off your home GPs "list" or whatever. You can still be seen by your home GP in the holidays though as a temporary patient. This is what I do. Also, check out the doctors for yourself as not all are bad. My uni GP is fab and will do anything to help me out.
You can contact your local IAPT without being registered with a local GP, I think? Depends what your mh issue is. Also uni offer counselling. If it's medication related you should make the trip home for the appointment or get a local GP and travel back if you need to see them in the holidays.
If you register as a patient with a new surgery, your notes will be sent to your new practice so you get taken off your previous GP list.

You'll technically be archived on your home GP system so your old notes will still be accessible but everything new will only be on your uni one. When you come back home, your uni surgery will do the same and send the notes (with new additions) back to your home practice.

I used to work for a GP practice and the whole thing is really slow (so if you're almost at the end of your degree or anything then it might be worth going to an access centre until you go back home etc).

Edit: just seen the end of first year bit, probably worth registering as a full patient
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest