The Student Room Group

Work experience

Anyone need work experience but are not getting lucky enough to find some, it would be nice to know that I am not alone aha.
Me !
Reply 2
Original post by sophielophie
Me !

How much do you need?
Nothing is impossible :smile:
What kind of experience are you struggling to find?
Vet? farm?
Where do you live?
Reply 4
I need 20 days work experience in a Veterinary Training practice. But i have been struggling to get a place.
I assume you're at uni? VetMed? Vet Nursing?

There is a list of approved Training Practices on the RVCS website, seems like a good start:
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/approved-training-practices/

It might be easier to find a placement if you split the days too. Like going to 2 practices - 10 days each.
Unless all 20 days have to be done at one practice.
Reply 6
Im in 6th form at the moment and going to study veterinary nursing in september hopefully after achieving the 20 days experience, or else i cant go :frown:
Original post by JaffaNeko
Im in 6th form at the moment and going to study veterinary nursing in september hopefully after achieving the 20 days experience, or else i cant go :frown:

How have you been looking for places? I might suggest going in person and giving every practice you can a cover letter & CV, or e-mail them if that is what they prefer. If someone hasn't gotten back to you, follow up with a polite phone call in a week or so.

Another idea might be to try to broaden the geographical area that you are looking in. E.g. have you got any family or friends that you can stay at who live in a different part of the country?

Good luck!
Reply 8
I have tried by both email and letter but my responses where that they where full. I have a few more that i am going to call up soon. And there is no one else i can stay with to do it.
Reply 9
Original post by Nessie162
I assume you're at uni? VetMed? Vet Nursing?

There is a list of approved Training Practices on the RVCS website, seems like a good start:
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/approved-training-practices/

It might be easier to find a placement if you split the days too. Like going to 2 practices - 10 days each.
Unless all 20 days have to be done at one practice.

Whoa, you just made me real nervous :frown:
The work experience required by the RVC in order to apply for their degrees is

A total of two weeks of work experience (paid or voluntary) in one or more small animal or mixed veterinary practices

This is copied from their website - they dont mention anything about "approved training practices" :-O
I've been volunteering at a local practice for quite a while, will it not be considered?!
(Applying for Vet Nursing, though the requirements seem to be the same for Vet Med)
Original post by JaffaNeko
I have tried by both email and letter but my responses where that they where full. I have a few more that i am going to call up soon. And there is no one else i can stay with to do it.

Looks like you will have to keep looking.

Another suggestion might be to look further afield anyway and sort your own accommodation if you require this work exp to get into uni. Camping might be a cheap way of getting accommodation if you can't afford B&B - I know vet students who have done this to complete placements. Have also heard from someone that they slept on the couch in the vet practice staff room! Or you could go for B&B. If you can look further afield then this will massively help you find somewhere!
Original post by Daphna.S
Whoa, you just made me real nervous :frown:
The work experience required by the RVC in order to apply for their degrees is

A total of two weeks of work experience (paid or voluntary) in one or more small animal or mixed veterinary practices

This is copied from their website - they dont mention anything about "approved training practices" :-O
I've been volunteering at a local practice for quite a while, will it not be considered?!
(Applying for Vet Nursing, though the requirements seem to be the same for Vet Med)

No, no, it's fine :smile: It will be considered...
Approved training practices are for training vet nurses that are already at uni.
You can get pre-uni experience anywhere :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Nessie162
No, no, it's fine :smile: It will be considered...
Approved training practices are for training vet nurses that are already at uni.
You can get pre-uni experience anywhere :smile:

THANK GOD! :biggrin:
I think I just sprouted some white hairs over this haha. Being a mature student AND a foreigner is making this process quite daunting as it is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending