The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
Take the job. Work for another year. Delay your masters.

Dont be an idiot. Thank me later.

Serriously though, you have a really nice job at the moment, and you want to run off and do a masters after a few months? Look at it from the ballance of your life:

If you stay for 1 more year, then:

- you have nearly 2 years of experiance.. much better then less then 1, as many professional jobs ask for around 2 years or more.

- You have huge savings, already have 13k, so you could potentially get to what 35-40k total after another 15 months bassically.

- you still do your masters, just 1 year later.

BUT, now not only do you have enough money to do your masters.. you also have the deposit on your first house, and a comfortable cushion incase it takes you longer to find work after your masters.

1 year of your life, for:

- much improved work history
- savings for masters + big life events

In my eyes its easily worth it.

I am not a big fan of the job I do right now, I would love to be back in uni doing a masters in something I love, but it pays bloody well, and my cost of living is tiny, so I am in a similar situation as you, and just get on with it and do it.. saving in the UK is hard under normal circumstances, so when you are given an opertunity to save a lot, in a short time - these days with crazy house prices and high cost of living.. you should jump at it.

I would love to stay on another year to be honest mate but the roles are being scrapped.

They were only temporary to begin with and were set to all terminate at the end of June. However they're gonna extend some with "phased reduction" meaning that they'll gradually reduce them until all contracts are expired at the end of 2016.
Therefore even if I stayed, I'd be out of a job at the end of December and suddenly I'd have missed uni and would have to wait until September 2017 to go.
Original post by Dirtybit
What fallen said makes sense

No point leaving your job so soon when your currently making £90k a year man.

See above - if the jobs were continuing for another year, I'd postpone uni for sure. But if I stay on, I'll be working for 6 months followed by nothing for 9 months.
Original post by Lúcio
See above - if the jobs were continuing for another year, I'd postpone uni for sure. But if I stay on, I'll be working for 6 months followed by nothing for 9 months.

At least you'll be rich with all that money sitting in the bank

Go buy a nice car and pull dem b*tches 9-5
Original post by Lúcio
I would love to stay on another year to be honest mate but the roles are being scrapped.

They were only temporary to begin with and were set to all terminate at the end of June. However they're gonna extend some with "phased reduction" meaning that they'll gradually reduce them until all contracts are expired at the end of 2016.
Therefore even if I stayed, I'd be out of a job at the end of December and suddenly I'd have missed uni and would have to wait until September 2017 to go.

fair enough - I thought you were up for a permanent role.

Shame, not worth going for it on a lie then.

Guess you know then that all you can do is try your best to get it, but do so whilst being honest with them - dont wnat to lie then piss them off by leaving and screw up a potentially useful reference.
Original post by fallen_acorns
fair enough - I thought you were up for a permanent role.

Shame, not worth going for it on a lie then.

Guess you know then that all you can do is try your best to get it, but do so whilst being honest with them - dont wnat to lie then piss them off by leaving and screw up a potentially useful reference.

If it were a permanent role, I'd go for it 100% even if it meant postponing my masters for a few years. At £39k I'd just build up enough money so that I could do a year at uni and then be comfortable even if I didn't get a grad job straightaway.

The fact is that I can only work until the end of September. They know this already and they'd be absolute fools to choose me over somebody who could work until the end of December.

The reference is the main thing, and I don't want my sister to look bad anyway. They knew before I started that I'd be going to uni in September so it won't be a shock for them. It's an easy out for them to be honest because they don't have to choose between us based on skillset - they can just say I can't continue the role since I won't be around for the full time.
At least you'll be rich with all that money sitting in the bank

Go buy a nice car and pull dem b*tches 9-5

To be honest after tax I'd only get about £13k putting my bank balance to £26k. Whilst that would be great, I'd literally have nothing lined up for 9 months and that's the killer.
Original post by Lúcio
Well we have a 1-2-1 next week - I'm just gonna say that it would be nice to stay on but I simply cannot work later than September.

If that's a problem, I'm happy for the job to go to my colleague. Don't get me wrong, if she had a family and "needed" this job, I'd let her have it without a second thought. However the way things are now, the extra 3 months wage would benefit me way more than her, which is why I'm struggling about what to do.

Work until December. Chill / travel until Sept 2017. Do Masters. Duuuhhh
Original post by Lúcio
To be honest after tax I'd only get about £13k putting my bank balance to £26k. Whilst that would be great, I'd literally have nothing lined up for 9 months and that's the killer.

You're gonna be busy for the rest of your life. Now is the time to chill.
Original post by Lúcio

You're really trying to make the most of the spotlight aren't you
Fury v Klitscho 2 predictions?

Fury on points, then fight Joshua in mid 2017
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Nah because before you know it, I won't even bother doing a masters and I'll flit between jobs.

I feel like if I don't do it now, I won't do it at all. I'm only 21 and I have one on my side - I wanna be studying when I'm mid-late twenties.

Plus if I went for it, there's no guarantee I'd get it anyway. Plus my colleague was here about 6 months before me and she's good friends with several people in the office. Do you know how awkward it would be working with people who resent me for causing their friend to lose her job?

All in all, I know what you mean about the money - an extra 13k is a lot - but I feel like it'll be time to go. Although she's fairly rich, my colleague has a family and she'll be used to earning this kind of wage. I said I was gonna go to uni and I will do.

Do you know how nerve wracking it's gonna be seeing my bank balance go down next year without any income whatsoever?
Original post by Lúcio
Do you know how nerve wracking it's gonna be seeing my bank balance go down next year without any income whatsoever?

Mate, that's every student ever ffs

Tbf if you were on £96,000 you'd do the same
(edited 7 years ago)
I wonder who this 'new' user could be?
Original post by Kenan and Kel

This. Absolute no brainer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Nah because before you know it, I won't even bother doing a masters and I'll flit between jobs.

I feel like if I don't do it now, I won't do it at all. I'm only 21 and I have one on my side - I wanna be studying when I'm mid-late twenties.

Plus if I went for it, there's no guarantee I'd get it anyway. Plus my colleague was here about 6 months before me and she's good friends with several people in the office. Do you know how awkward it would be working with people who resent me for causing their friend to lose her job?

All in all, I know what you mean about the money - an extra 13k is a lot - but I feel like it'll be time to go. Although she's fairly rich, my colleague has a family and she'll be used to earning this kind of wage. I said I was gonna go to uni and I will do.

Not doing your masters at all isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you can continue to work at a high level. Anyway, if you really want to do your masters, you'll do it. One year is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

She's gonna lose her job in December regardless.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
I wonder who this 'new' user could be?

Googles rEaR vIeW

Finds out it's a song of Zayn Malik's latest album

Conclusion: Must be Zayn Malik

Googles rEaR vIeW

Finds out it's a song of Zayn Malik's latest album

Conclusion: Must be Zayn Malik

Cheers Geoff
Original post by rEaR vIeW
Mate, that's every student ever ffs

Well all through uni I had a job - next year will be the first time since I was 16 that I won't have one. Part of me is glad though.
Original post by SA-1
In-text references don't count towards the word count either do they?

I mean the:

Various Manchester United supporters have suggested that signing Harry Kane rather than Paul Pogba (@zKlown et al., 2016) would be more beneficial to the club.

I can exclude the (@zKlown et al., 2016) from the count right?

It would help me massively

I hope you get your references correct in real life, because I didn't say that.

Latest