The Student Room Group

Facing a consensus

Hello everyone

I'm stuck in choosing offer between MSC International business & management at Manchester and MSC Economics & international economics at Nottingham.

I know that Manchester business school is elite and very well-respected along with the university itself that is ranked top 50 in the world which is relatively more prestigious than Nottingham and its school of economics.

But the program at Manchester requires a substantial amount of group assignment & presentation compared to Nottingham economics program which is mainly exam-based and thus much more comfortable for me as my undergraduate degree was in Economics and I particularly liked it.

So I'm totally hesitant if to choose the superior prestige of Manchester or the much better course compatibility of Nottingham.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to university is about stretching yourself, and acquiring new skills, - amongst lots of other factors. I'd opt for Manchester, as team-based work will stand you in good stead for workplace politics. The usual problems with group assignments (ie. discrepancies in the distribution of effort) should be reduced, but not eliminated, at MSc level.

How does each route relate to your career goals?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DrSocSciences
Going to university is about stretching yourself, and acquiring new skills, - amongst lots of other factors. I'd opt for Manchester, as team-based work will stand you in good stead for workplace politics. The usual problems with group assignments (ie. discrepancies in the distribution of effort) should be reduced, but not eliminated, at MSc level.

How does each route relate to your career goals?

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I just feel that the challenge at Manchester is pretty overwhelming and not sure if I can survive. I haven't set a career goal yet but it should be in business or economics related sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes, stepping outside your comfort zone is when you learn the most.
While I agree with the previous posters that a challenge can be a good thing, I'd stress that the subject matter should interest you as well. Keep in mind you'll need to write a dissertation on a topic related to your studies, which requires that you're able to motivate yourself to actually do it. Are you interested enough in business/management studies to do that?
Reply 5
Original post by teensnails
While I agree with the previous posters that a challenge can be a good thing, I'd stress that the subject matter should interest you as well. Keep in mind you'll need to write a dissertation on a topic related to your studies, which requires that you're able to motivate yourself to actually do it. Are you interested enough in business/management studies to do that?

Yeah I have to admit that I have a substantial interest in Economics but I'm just afraid that Nottingham school of Economics prestige & graduate prospect will be relatively low compared to Manchester Business school. But I really do appreciate that Nottingham was the only one who offers me with lowest condition (GPA upon graduation) for Economics compared to others like Durham Bristol St.Andrews Bath Birmingham Leeds Sheffield Lancaster Liverpool Glasgow who offer me with massively high condition that seems to be unarchivable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending