The Student Room Group

HELP:does student loan cover accommodation?

Hey, I am an EU student and planning to study in the UK. I am going to apply for the student loan that is provided for students from UK and EU. What I know is that in this way I wont have to pay the tuition fees(12.000€ per year as it is a bachelor degree) before finishing my studies, but does it also cover the accommodation? And in general how does it work? :/
(edited 8 years ago)
The maintenance lan is for accommodation and the tuition fee loan is for fees which goes straight to the uni.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The maintenance lan is for accommodation and the tuition fee loan is for fees which goes straight to the uni.

Does the maintenance apply for eu students?
Original post by XOR_
Does the maintenance apply for eu students?

If you applied after March 24th, you have to be living in the uk for at least 5 years.
Oh thank you:smile: and what is actually the maintenance loan?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
EU applicants with no previous residence in the UK do not get help with living costs : http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/eu/eu_england_guide_1617_d.pdf
Thank you for your help:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by constantina98
Hey, I am an EU student and planning to study in the UK. I am going to apply for the student loan that is provided for students from UK and EU. What I know is that in this way I wont have to pay the tuition fees(12.000€ per year as it is a bachelor degree) before finishing my studies, but does it also cover the accommodation? And in general how does it work? :/

The student loan only covers the tuition fees, and is paid straight to the university .
You have to get a separate maintenance loan, or get a part time job to cover living costs, though, just a part time job might not cover everything, so it's good to save up some money to fall back on.
Original post by omfgalib

You have to get a separate maintenance loan, .

EU without the required previous residence in the UK are NOT eligible for a maintenance loan from Student Finance.
Reply 9
Original post by constantina98

Like said above, if you're eligible for a tuition loan, that goes straight to the uni. A maintenance loan is given to you for your costs, but it may not fully cover accommodation etc.

EU students are NOT eligible for the maintenance loan - you need to have been living in the UK for 3y+ for this.

I get the impression you haven't, so you'd only get tuition loan, which you won't see. All accommodation, flight etc costs would need to be paid by you.
Original post by Inazuma
Like said above, if you're eligible for a tuition loan, that goes straight to the uni. A maintenance loan is given to you for your costs, but it may not fully cover accommodation etc.

EU students are NOT eligible for the maintenance loan - you need to have been living in the UK for 3y+ for this.

I get the impression you haven't, so you'd only get tuition loan, which you won't see. All accommodation, flight etc costs would need to be paid by you.

Yeah you are right I havent but anyway I am not eligible for the maintenance loan. Thank you for your help: )
Reply 11
Original post by Inazuma

EU students are NOT eligible for the maintenance loan - you need to have been living in the UK for 3y+ for this..

Since 25th March this year, it has to be 5 years of ordinary residence in the UK to get the Maintenance Loan.
Original post by Klix88
Since 25th March this year, it has to be 5 years of ordinary residence in the UK to get the Maintenance Loan.

I've just checked this again and I still can't find anywhere that says that, hence why I stuck with the 3y that's on the official sites :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by Inazuma
I've just checked this again and I still can't find anywhere that says that, hence why I stuck with the 3y that's on the official sites :s-smilie:

Try the central government website on who qualifies for SF:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

EU nationals

If you’ve been living in the UK for more than 5 years, you can apply as though you were a UK national.

i.e. as an EU applicant, you must have lived in the UK for five years in order to get the Maintenance Loan.
Original post by Klix88
Try the central government website on who qualifies for SF:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

i.e. as an EU applicant, you must have lived in the UK for five years in order to get the Maintenance Loan.

Ohhhh excellent thanks - I was mixing it up with the national reqs, oops. Does seem a bit weird to me that they're not the same......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending