The Student Room Group

Further Maths AQA GCSE exams

Just though I would start a thread about the further maths exams and how everyone is revising.

Scroll to see replies

not very well ... have you learnt all of the topics yet? we haven't and im still struggling on the ones we have done, what are you targeted?
Reply 2
Original post by jazz_xox_
not very well ... have you learnt all of the topics yet? we haven't and im still struggling on the ones we have done, what are you targeted?

No, we're still going through the last bits of calculus, but we did a mock today and I got an A^ so hopefully it will be ok as long as no circle questions come up!
Further Maths isn't timetabled at my school so it is mostly self taught - I'm just doing a past paper a week and seeking help with the questions I don't understand.
Original post by jazz_xox_
that's good I haven't tried a past paper yet!! my class learnt circles last week but i missed the lesson as I was at the dentist, hopefully i can pick it up :frown: my teacher did recommend 'mr bartons' website for further maths help, i haven't been on it yet but i have heard good things about him. good luck in yours :smile:

I have been using that website, it does seem to be the best out there.
Original post by zara_ruby
No, we're still going through the last bits of calculus, but we did a mock today and I got an A^ so hopefully it will be ok as long as no circle questions come up!

Thats good! I need to try past papers but I want to try and learn everything first so I'm more confident. I missed the lesson on circles so I hope I pick it up from copying out notes. Mr bartons website is supposed to be good. Good luck :smile:

reposted this message as i accidentally deleleted my post, im new to this forum
Hi, I'm also taking further maths this year. I really enjoy it and I hope to get a good grade because I want to study A level maths and further maths next year. My teacher is amazing at teaching further maths so we have learnt pretty much everything and am now just revising for the exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I need help with a question. A serious A***+ question.

A function, f f , is such that f(x)=x42x2+1 f(x) = x^4-2x^2+1 .
(i) Solve the equation f(x)=0 f(x)=0 giving all solutions in their exact form.

(ii) Find the coordinates of the stationary points of the curve y=f(x) y=f(x) .

(iii) A line segment is drawn between two of the stationary points of the curve y=f(x) y=f(x) forming a diameter of a circle. The line segment drawn is drawn such that the circle has the greatest circumference.
Find the equation of the circle in the form (xa)2+(yb)2=r2 (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 .
(edited 7 years ago)
i just factorise the first one as if it were a normal quadratic and work out the solutions
ii Differentiate f(x) and equal to 0. Find the value(s) of x
iii work out the coordinate of the midpoint of the diameter to work out the radius. You may need to use Pythagoras. Square the radius to get r squared. a is x of centre b is y of centre
I really like further maths, predicted an A* but I've never got anything less than an A^ in mocks and practice papers.
Only planning on working on the stuff I find hard (so that'll be angle between a line and a plane/angle between 2 planes, circle theorems, ratio (yeah this really is a weakness for me), and proof)
Both of my further maths exams clash with others!! Really frustrating!
Reply 11
Original post by Bapujisamji
iii work out the coordinate of the midpoint of the diameter to work out the radius. You may need to use Pythagoras. Square the radius to get r squared. a is x of centre b is y of centre

Post a solution?
Reply 12
Original post by NiamhM1801
I really like further maths, predicted an A* but I've never got anything less than an A^ in mocks and practice papers.
Only planning on working on the stuff I find hard (so that'll be angle between a line and a plane/angle between 2 planes, circle theorems, ratio (yeah this really is a weakness for me), and proof)
Both of my further maths exams clash with others!! Really frustrating!

I'm sure planes are not in further maths spec GCSE?
Original post by Ano123
I'm sure planes are not in further maths spec GCSE?

Are you on about the level 2 certificate? Cause I am and they're most definitely on there
Factorise x^-4 - 25y^4.
Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 15
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Factorise x^-4 - 25y^4.
Any help would be appreciated.

Difference of two squares.
(x25y2)(x2+5y2) (x^{-2}-5y^2)(x^{-2}+5y^2) .
Original post by B_9710
Difference of two squares.
(x25y2)(x2+5y2) (x^{-2}-5y^2)(x^{-2}+5y^2) .

Why is the power of two negative? I just solved it as (x^2+5y^2)(x^2-5y^2)
Reply 17
Original post by NiamhM1801
Are you on about the level 2 certificate? Cause I am and they're most definitely on there

AQA level 2 further maths GCSE? I just double checked the specification. Coordinate geometry is in 2 dimensions only. Is this a new specification or have you been lied to?
Reply 18
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Why is the power of two negative? I just solved it as (x^2+5y^2)(x^2-5y^2)

You said factorise x425y2 \displaystyle x^{-4}-25y^2 . Expand yours out and see what it comes out as. You posted in the question a power of x^-2.
Unless that was a mistake in your question?
Original post by Ano123
AQA level 2 further maths GCSE? I just double checked the specification. Coordinate geometry is in 2 dimensions only. Is this a new specification or have you been lied to?

Neither...its come up in multiple past papers that I've done. It's basically Pythagoras and trig in 3 dimensions, so it might be under that in the spec?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending