The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS exams: what is....?

Hello to all!

Exams are coming up and our chemistry teacher hasn't properly told us nothing about this years new spec exam papers. I know we will get 2 separate papers BUT what exactly is the difference between breadth in chemistry and depth in chemistry?? how does these 2 papers differ?

Please explain to me, I am so confused about this.. help
Thanks,
Anna.

Scroll to see replies

OCR salters right?
How much have you revised for chem? ://
Reply 2
Original post by greys-anatomy
OCR salters right?
How much have you revised for chem? ://

Yep OCR! well I have revised as much as I can and I am still revising for it. :frown:
But I don't really know what to expect..
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok so breadth is still all of the 5 modules - except its ONLY multiple choice AND short answer questions
Whereas, Depth in chem (again the 5 modules) is short answer and long answer only

So depth = answers in more details

Have you like learnt the basics for each module? or are you still learning the content for each module?
Second batch of specimen papers gave me aids, I'm sure we are all doomed (hard questions, no low grade boundaries) - AQA
Reply 5
Ok so breadth is still all of the 5 modules - except its ONLY multiple choice AND short answer questions
Whereas, Depth in chem (again the 5 modules) is short answer and long answer only

So depth = answers in more details

Have you like learnt the basics for each module? or are you still learning the content for each module?

ohh that makes sense! thanks!!! :smile:
I am finished with the basics and contents and I have revised upto module 3 so far, I still have 1 module to revise.. the resources one and then I will be done hopefuly. I have been answer some of those old spec past papers..

do you do chem as well?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
My exam board is OCR Chemistry A :

Breath is 70 marks and a 1 hr 30 min paper
Depth is also 70 marks and a 1 hr 30 min paper
Both papers contain content from modules 1 - 4 (everything you have learnt this year can be tested on one or both papers)

Breath consists of 20 marks worth multiple choice and 50 marks normal question style

Depth consists of 70 marks normal question style only

I know that depth is supposed to test a greater proportion of practical skills questions rather than breath but there's no guarantee. I sat both paper 1 and paper 2 of the specimen, and surprisingly paper 2 was easier than paper 1.
Original post by Anna-18
ohh that makes sense! thanks!!! :smile:
I am finished with the basics and contents and I have revised upto module 4 so far, I still have module 5 to revise and then I will be done hopefuly. I have been answer some of those old spec past papers..

do you do chem as well?

yeah but I feel like I'm so behind with revision :cry2:
Original post by E10D1E_17

Both papers contain content from modules 1 - 4 (everything you have learnt this year can be tested on one or both papers)

Breath consists of 20 marks worth multiple choice and 50 marks normal question style

I know that depth is supposed to test a greater proportion of practical skills questions rather than breath but there's no guarantee. I sat both paper 1 and paper 2 of the specimen, and surprisingly paper 2 was easier than paper 1.

will the practical questions be the ones that we do in class or the practical examples that they give in the text book?
Reply 9
yeah but I feel like I'm so behind with revision :cry2:

oh no.. how much have you revised?
Reply 10

My exam board is OCR A as well
what? so the depth paper will be mostly based on practical's? I learned more theory than practical's D:
(edited 8 years ago)
will the practical questions be the ones that we do in class or the practical examples that they give in the text book?

The practical questions can be related to the PAGs carried out in class or on experiments not seen before but involve the application of knowledge from class. So in response to your answer - either.
Reply 12
The practical questions can be related to the PAGs carried out in class or on experiments not seen before but involve the application of knowledge from class. So in response to your answer - either.

I have never seen an AS new spec specimen paper! D: I am scared
Original post by Anna-18
My exam board is OCR A as well
what? so the depth paper will be mostly based on practical's?

Both breath and depth may involve practical related questions but my teacher said that apparently breath is 20% practical style whereas depth is 40% practical style but there is no guarantee. Both papers have a larger proportion of normal style questions, but the depth paper is not specifically designed to test practical skills only, it will have a larger amount of normal style questions.
Reply 15
Both breath and depth may involve practical related questions but my teacher said that apparently breath is 20% practical style whereas depth is 40% practical style but there is no guarantee. Both papers have a larger proportion of normal style questions, but the depth paper is not specifically designed to test practical skills only, it will have a larger amount of normal style questions.

Alright, that's a relief.
Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 16

OMG!!! Thank you so much for this!!!, you don't know how much these 2 papers mean to me right now haha.. I am gonna try the depth paper first (soon) xD
Original post by Dysprosium
Second batch of specimen papers gave me aids, I'm sure we are all doomed (hard questions, no low grade boundaries) - AQA

Hi could you tell me what sort of topics are on it to revise from I can't seem to find the second batch of spec cpapers
Original post by Alexcahillx
Hi could you tell me what sort of topics are on it to revise from I can't seem to find the second batch of spec cpapers

That's because only teachers can get them. Make sure you good with algebra, rearranging equations, substriuting etc. I've still got my Paper 2(second set) can't find paper 1, topics: drawing on maxwell boltzman graph and effects on lowering temp, structural formulae of two branched isomers of hexane, incomplete combustion of alkanes equation, free radical substitution, comparing boiling points of halogenoalkanes and reasons such as electronegative differences, certain reagents and tests to identify aldehydes +alkenee+carboxylic acids, infra-red spectrum,electrophilic addition mechanism with h2so4 and why two products are formed, 6 marker regarding collecting of ethanol and appartus names, density, 7 marker on enthalpy change in a calorimeter with intepretations of a graph to find change in temperature, equilibrium calculations, ideal gas equation and a bunch of multiple choice questions...
Reply 19
Anyone done the new spec papers for edexcel chem??
Any tips on what to revise for organic?? :frown: Apparently they're impossible and I find organic so hard!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending