The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a feeling "wage structure" plays a part too. Why the heck do we have so many players on fat contracts doing nothing?
Original post by shawn_o1
I have a feeling "wage structure" plays a part too. Why the heck do we have so many players on fat contracts doing nothing?

lo, you could be paying Chalobah £50,000 a week m9
We have it better than most, but why should we stand by having a chairman who not only puts no money into the club but activrly takes money OUT. The guy can **** off tbf, just becayse we'rea big club doesn't mean we havent been ****ed over by a board that doesn't care beyond getting 4th and keeping a #netprofit and a chairman who's more concerned with lining his own pocketd and having Arsenal as collateral for loans than winning a league title.
I don't agree with stadium walkouts but the high ups who kept this club fighting for 10 years are now killing it
to be honest, you know its time, when your rivals want your manager to stay.
Original post by fallen_acorns
to be honest, you know its time, when your rivals want your manager to stay.

Nah we're ****ed either way, when the new manager comes in and does a crap job they'll be revelling in their gloating even more.
A Liverpool fan and a United fan mocking the 4th place trophy when they'd die for it.

Don't understand why everyone gets so wound up when our players take selfies in the changing rooms. Literally every god damn team does it after a big win. Just another case of the media (Jamie carragher) manipulating people into thinking this non-story is actually something people should care about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AliRizzo
A Liverpool fan and a United fan mocking the 4th place trophy when they'd die for it.

Don't understand why everyone gets so wound up when our players take selfies in the changing rooms. Literally every god damn team does it after a big win. Just another case of the media (Jamie carragher) manipulating people into thinking this non-story is actually something people should care about.

Show me another premier league club that does it half as much as Arsenal. If their players cared as much about the title as they did about Instagram they'd win it every year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Show me another premier league club that does it half as much as Arsenal. If their players cared as much about the title as they did about Instagram they'd win it every year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you provide me with evidence that Arsenal do it so much, in relation to other teams? No, it's just the general consensus because whenever an Arsenal player does upload a selfie it becomes the latest non-story to get angry about. The last one I remember was a group photo after we beat Leicester, the one which has been doing the rounds on Twitter lately. Nothing wrong with it, it was a big game with a big goal scored in the last second by our substitute who was injured for a good 10 months. Ironically, the Spurs players were taking selfies that same day after they beat City at the Etihad. No one talking about that though, of course.

Naturally, if you tend to get angry about these kind of things then it makes you sadder than the multi millionaires who want to share some of the joy they experience with their fans.
New manager would immediately ban phones in the dressing room and only allow them in the event of a trophy win. Can see Leicester allowing the dressing room selfie after they beat Everton
New manager would immediately ban phones in the dressing room and only allow them in the event of a trophy win. Can see Leicester allowing the dressing room selfie after they beat Everton

You mean after they beat United?
Original post by leinad2012
You mean after they beat United?

Nah he's spot on, they won't beat United unfortunately.
Nah we're ****ed either way, when the new manager comes in and does a crap job they'll be revelling in their gloating even more.

Very true
Reply 7052
Can you provide me with evidence that Arsenal do it so much, in relation to other teams?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3410092/Arsenal-Premier-League-selfie-league-Gunners-stars-snaps-Manchester-City-midfielder-football-s-Instagram-king.html

:wink:

Seems weird that phones aren't banned in the dressing room TBH.
Nah he's spot on, they won't beat United unfortunately.

We'll hold them to a draw, then Spurs will lose at Stamford Bridge like they always do and Leicester can get the trophy against Everton

I've seen Everton fans on Twitter giving their tickets away to Leicester fans

Sorry mate this is selfies taken by players at any time, not just in the dressing room which is what we were discussing. Couldn't care less if a footballer wants to take pics with his dogs a la Alexis.

Yeah because we'd actually do something with consistent 4th place finishes....

The reason you're all so pissed is because you've been in the same good position every single year yet somehow do not improve in the slightest.

You don't have the fight or desire, not like Spurs and Leicester do. You don't deserve to be up there and quite frankly your fan support is abysmal anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah because we'd actually do something with consistent 4th place finishes....

The reason you're all so pissed is because you've been in the same good position every single year yet somehow do not improve in the slightest.

You don't have the fight or desire, not like Spurs and Leicester do. You don't deserve to be up there and quite frankly your fan support is abysmal anyway.

Mate the support is beyond disgusting. Went to the game last week where we won 2-0, and I know it's a time in the season that isn't representative overall, but a lot of the fans around me were just toxic. Slagging off Giroud every time he was tackled, slagging off Iwobi (a 19 year old in his breakthrough season ffs), when we were 2-0 up and in control. I mean if you aren't even going to cheer when you're winning comfortably and slag the players off all game, why bother going?
Original post by leinad2012
Mate the support is beyond disgusting. Went to the game last week where we won 2-0, and I know it's a time in the season that isn't representative overall, but a lot of the fans around me were just toxic. Slagging off Giroud every time he was tackled, slagging off Iwobi (a 19 year old in his breakthrough season ffs), when we were 2-0 up and in control. I mean if you aren't even going to cheer when you're winning comfortably and slag the players off all game, why bother going?

Exactly.

I think it's the general elitist attitude that you see in way too many Arsenal fans.
If the season doesn't go as you expect, yeah it's alright to be disappointed, but if you've paid to watch a game of football and your team are delivering, why still slag them off?

It's not like you bottled the league either - yes you had a decent chance of winning it but its hardly like you've been 10 points clear and lost the lead. Arsenal fans have been happy over the years to finish 4th, why should this year be any different?

As much as I respect your football at times, I just cannot respect your fans. Obviously not all Arsenal fans are terrible but the general elitist attitude just makes me want you to fail every season, which is a shame because you're a historic and consistent club.
Reply 7058
Scenes when a Liverpool fan talks about Arsenal having elitist fans.

Stop with this bs about fans not supporting the team either. We pay the highest price to watch our team play absolute shite year in and year out. We've been poor for the majority of this season and it's pretty much all down to Wenger. The squad he's built is vastly overrated and it's hilarious that at the start of the season, we were comparing this squad to the one we had 12 years ago. The club is full of dead wood in the likes of Ox, Walcott, Arteta, Flamini, Ospina, with Welbeck and Giroud our two only striking options? It's abysmal. We don't have a title winning squad because it reeks of average.

Cech
Bellerin ____ Koscielny Monreal
Coquelin Cazorla
Sanchez Ozil ______
______

Those are the only players I'd say should have been in our strongest XI. These are the best players Wenger can field out now after 3 windows where we've had a sizeable transfer budget. Only 3 of those players above were actually signed in this period where we've been said to have cash reserves of however much. For all the talk a few years back, about Wenger leaving us in 2017 with the title winning squad, he's done an absolutely awful job. Quality wise, we currently lack :

Solid RB backup
Viable 4th choice CB
Cazorla Replacement
Coquelin backup (Flamini does not count)
Viable RW (jury still out on Iwobi next season)
Title winning striker

And then you look at the age of the squad
Koscielny is 30, Monreal 30, Mertesacker 31
Cazorla 31, Sanchez and Ozil 27 (arguably both are already at their peak)
Giroud 30
Cech 33

8/11 of our starters are 27-33. We've spent 3 years to try and build the perfect squad and now we're already in dire need of new signings, but too many. Even if Wenger goes all out this window (which he definitely won't), we'll still be in need of signings before we can comfortably make a title push. If Wenger had left a year ago, the transition period would have been much smoother for the new manager.
Reports now saying that man city are in for Walcott. Not having it tbh, unless they really do want to have two Sterlings on the pitch

Latest