The Student Room Group

Are Women More Emotional Than Men?

Poll

Are Women (In General) More Emotional Than Men?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n76ZozxQAM

A few interesting points in this video.

I feel a lot of people that support feminism contradict themselves many times and as a result they appear to be confused.

E.g. Are women more emotional than men (from a generalistic perspective)? Some of these feminists seem to say no yet others seem to say yes.

This is one of the many hundreds of contradictions they draw. So which is it? Do we say women are not more emotional so if or when they do get emotional they should be overlooked or do we say yes they are more emotional, however we must adjust our systems to cope with that - however this view says there is a difference between men and women so they cannot be equal and this contradicts their original point.

I don't understand the issue about the Sciences, if anyone could provide proof would be good.

I am studying a pure science at uni right now, I see males and females I probably would say they are both equal in terms of grades, maybe the females beating the males by a bit - in our course anyway,

As I understand it, the person in the video is complaining that less women do sciences like physics.

However sciences like biology doesn't have this problem.

I mean, if we think back to year 1 year 2 we see mostly female teachers. Nursing we see mostly females.

And perhaps in Physics we see more males than females.

I don't understand her point. As someone studying in this country I don't remember a teacher ever telling girls not to do maths or physics, in fact from my experience both were encouraged.

Could it be that in general, men prefer some areas and women prefer other areas? We are different physically and mentally so surely it can't be absurd to think naturally we will have different interests?
The trouble is we have a rather large confound in that expression of emotion doesn't necessarily equal the magnitude or intensity of emotion.

In terms of jobs there are also confounds in self perpetuating cycles in what are perceived to be sex-appropriate roles.
Original post by Ethereal World
In terms of jobs there are also confounds in self perpetuating cycles in what are perceived to be sex-appropriate roles.

:fyi:
Reply 3
Yes, of course they are. It's part of their evolutionary adaption as the sex that gives birth and nurtures. Yes there is social influence but most of it is marxist/social ''science'' blank slate idiocy.

Also, that woman is saying men and women are the same yet women cry and do better in non-competitive puppy friendly environments. Well which one is it? Stop punching yourself, you silly fembot... And Milo fabulous as always, obv.
(edited 7 years ago)
Usually, women feel more comfortable expressing their emotions.
Original post by Ethereal World
The trouble is we have a rather large confound in that expression of emotion doesn't necessarily equal the magnitude or intensity of emotion.

PRSOM.
Women are often (not always) more outwardly emotional but I've seen many men cry at things that some women I know would not get outwardly upset by. Also 'emotional' doesn't just mean upset but can mean anxious and angry too.
Original post by Erebor
Yes, of course they are. It's part of their evolutionary adaption as the sex that gives birth and nurtures. Yes there is social influence but most of it is marxist/social ''science'' blank slate idiocy.

That's very simplistic thinking as men are evolved to protect and care for family/nurture too. It seems women get upset a little more easily but I see lots of lads and men cry on the quiet. It's just not publicised with a group of friends around them with tissues as it is for women. It's hard to deny that it's less socially acceptable for a man to show emotions through tears so instead they show it through anger :tongue: :tongue:
Women are way more emotional than men.

But the modern way of living (and all this gender equality malarkey perpetuated by raging feminists), is allowing men to become sissies.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Women are way more emotional than men.

But the modern way of living (and all this gender equality malarkey perpetuated by raging feminists), is allowing men to become sissies.

Crying doesn't equal sissy, it's just human. You can get soft guys who don't cry go off in an immature strop when the going gets tough.
Original post by indigofox
Crying doesn't equal sissy, it's just human. You can get soft guys who don't cry go off in an immature strop when the going gets tough.

You get all these touchy-feely men nowadays and male teenagers coming out as "non-binary" and god knows what other **** they say, simply because they want attention.

When my grandfather used to get caned in school, and he used to come crying to his parents, his father would belt him because it was not seemly, that as a male, he should cry.

To date, I have only seen my grandfather cry once, and that was on the passing of his mother, my great-grandmother. I happened to walk in on him late at night, after the funeral, and he sat sobbing for a couple of hours. By the morning, he was back to his usual self and we never spoke of it.

People like him knew how to do with grief and any other emotions in a calm and calculated manner. Nowadays, we come to expect people throwing strops (i.e: letting out their emotions) on the slightest of things and even worse, we encourage it.

Do you know what the biggest cause of death is for men between the ages of 18 and 45? Suicide - An action that is so incredibly selfish and motivated by a person's own individuality that I am disgusted by even having to mention it.

But I hold more contempt for society, who in their ever increasing pursuit to make everyone different, encourage people to be open about their feelings - so that they feel closure, so that they can move on. Filling people's head with such nonsense that when a person comes to rely on it but finds it to be false, falls into a state of depression and contemplates or attempts suicide.

Crying, and the general expression of emotions is human nature, but, the brazen openness with which we now encourage it (and other aspects in the name of "social progressiveness") is degrading and damaging to our mental health.
I think so. Females just happen to express their feelings more often. Men are emotional too. They're just not open about it, or express too often. If I'm wrong please correct me.
Reply 12
More empathetic and I expect more good at offering emotional support (lol that sounds like I've never met a woman, I mean I guess on average that's true), more likely to be open with negative emotions, but then men seem to display anger more often.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
You get all these touchy-feely men nowadays and male teenagers coming out as "non-binary" and god knows what other **** they say, simply because they want attention.

When my grandfather used to get caned in school, and he used to come crying to his parents, his father would belt him because it was not seemly, that as a male, he should cry.

To date, I have only seen my grandfather cry once, and that was on the passing of his mother, my great-grandmother. I happened to walk in on him late at night, after the funeral, and he sat sobbing for a couple of hours. By the morning, he was back to his usual self and we never spoke of it.

People like him knew how to do with grief and any other emotions in a calm and calculated manner. Nowadays, we come to expect people throwing strops (i.e: letting out their emotions) on the slightest of things and even worse, we encourage it.

Do you know what the biggest cause of death is for men between the ages of 18 and 45? Suicide - An action that is so incredibly selfish and motivated by a person's own individuality that I am disgusted by even having to mention it.

But I hold more contempt for society, who in their ever increasing pursuit to make everyone different, encourage people to be open about their feelings - so that they feel closure, so that they can move on. Filling people's head with such nonsense that when a person comes to rely on it but finds it to be false, falls into a state of depression and contemplates or attempts suicide.

Crying, and the general expression of emotions is human nature, but, the brazen openness with which we now encourage it (and other aspects in the name of "social progressiveness":wink: is degrading and damaging to our mental health.

I agree theres a difference between crying and making it a public spectacle where everyone gives you sympathy, it doesn't have to be done publicly, it's the same with anger. I never let anyone see me cry I'm too ashamed. I'l go to a toilet cubicle or put my hood up whatever. But then at the same time I feel fake for doing this as I think if someone is feeling something why not be real rather than hiding but it's just how I am I'm the private type anyway.

I can see how people are often pampered these days to the point where there's no incentive in the form of shame to 'man or woman up' in life. I blame lack exercise to a point as many people don't know what it's like to push their body to the limit I think this can toughen people up mentally. A lot of people are too busy demanding their rights. Some schools have a scheme where the kids are made to run a mile every morning before class I think it's a great idea :tongue:. If you train/workout regular you are using your energy on this rather than on negativity emotions, putting others down and bitching about people all day.

With your last point though I can't really see how openness can damage mental health.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending