The Student Room Group

Law degree and Law Masters at not great uni-employment prospects?

So went to a crap uni and im finishing masters there too (the masters was free)

Ive accepted that top law firms are unlikely for me, but what about other jobs? will a masters and degree (got some experience) be enough to secure an ok paying white collar job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

Ive accepted that top law firms are unlikely for me, but what about other jobs? will a masters and degree (got some experience) be enough to secure an ok paying white collar job?

Have you even applied to law firms or other jobs? Speculation like the above will get you nowhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on how good an application you put together.

What are your grades, what are your extra-curriculars, and what experience do you have?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
What are your grades, what are your extra-curriculars, and what experience do you have?

First class
did some stuff with an Enactus society at uni
resident assistant
got some volunteer award at uni
gave some legal advice at uni clinic
mentor/ILM
did summer job at a small town law firm (it was dreadful dont wanna go back)
played on football team
martial arts
worked as a cleaner for cash

nothing major though
Original post by Princepieman
Have you even applied to law firms or other jobs? Speculation like the above will get you nowhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I apply to grad schemes but never properly prepare for psychometric tests, so ill take the hit there

In regards to law , if everyone from the telegraph to TSR to Allaboutlaw.com/LCN careers are telling you you need to have 320 ucas/ attend russell group or a top uni, why waste my time applying to vac schemes/training contracts when i have no chance?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
It really depends on how good an application you put together.

can you provide general tips?
I apply to grad schemes but never properly prepare for psychometric tests, so ill take the hit there

In regards to law , if everyone from the telegraph to TSR to Allaboutlaw.com/LCN careers are telling you you need to have 320 ucas/ attend russell group or a top uni, why waste my time applying to vac schemes/training contracts when i have no chance?

Because not all firms care about UCAS points. You might want to look at chambersstudent for a list of firms, and their requirements.

Even if they do state a UCAS point req. you lose nothing by applying anyway.

I'm fairly certain most magic circle firms have done away with UCAS point reqs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because not all firms care about UCAS points. You might want to look at chambersstudent for a list of firms, and their requirements.

Even if they do state a UCAS point req. you lose nothing by applying anyway.

I'm fairly certain most magic circle firms have done away with UCAS point reqs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That may be so but i doubt they'd be willing to sponsor someone doing the LPC if they didnt have those grades unless they were truly exceptional. Alas, i am not
That may be so but i doubt they'd be willing to sponsor someone doing the LPC if they didnt have those grades unless they were truly exceptional. Alas, i am not

It's not dependent on grades, the firms I'm talking about sponsor the LPC as standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imo OP if its what you wish to do then you should try. You will never know unless you do.

Your CV sounds fine, not exceptional but fine.

You havent said what sort of law you are interested in. If the A levels get in your way then imo for now get some useful work experience and apply later.
Qualify at a reasonable regional commercial form, get experience and then you can move jobs into the firm you want later.

You have a first. Most lawyers aren't in the MC.
Original post by 999tigger
Imo OP if its what you wish to do then you should try. You will never know unless you do.

Your CV sounds fine, not exceptional but fine.

You havent said what sort of law you are interested in. If the A levels get in your way then imo for now get some useful work experience and apply later.
Qualify at a reasonable regional commercial form, get experience and then you can move jobs into the firm you want later.

You have a first. Most lawyers aren't in the MC.

not passionate about law. will do it if a TC is easy to get, but they're not so probably wont get one. people getting TCs are thirsty for it and im just not gagging for it (would like it though). just want a white collar job for a few years so i can figure out what i want/feeling of independence. dont feel like a scrounger,and so i can wear a suit. I lovvveeee suits
(edited 7 years ago)
not passionate about law. will do it if a TC is easy to get, but they're not so probably wont get one. people getting TCs are thirsty for it and im just not gagging for it (would like it though). just want a white collar job for a few years so i can figure out what i want/feeling of independence. dont feel like a scrounger,and so i can wear a suit. I lovvveeee suits

You are in two minds and dont seem commited enough. I cnat really relate as you should make a decision yay or nay imo.

So if you want a graduate job, then just start applying for the trainee schemes like everyone else. It will be viewed as a moderate advantage having law for certain jobs, but still you ahve to get through interviews and assessment centres. Its up to you to do the research and join the type of organisation you will find interesting enough.
Original post by 999tigger
You are in two minds and dont seem commited enough. I cnat really relate as you should make a decision yay or nay imo.

*sigh*:frown: ive been told this before. is it not enough to just want a good job,whatever that may be, that pays the bills and provides disposable income for living life? honestly i just want to focus on stuff outside work eg learning a language,martial arts.
*sigh*:frown: ive been told this before. is it not enough to just want a good job,whatever that may be, that pays the bills and provides disposable income for living life? honestly i just want to focus on stuff outside work eg learning a language,martial arts.

From what you type you give off mixed messages. Its you thats typing it, not me. Its fine to want a good job, that pasy the bills etc, so no need for the emoticons. You say other things at the same time. I'm telling you to make your mind up and thne go for the thing you want.

I'd sugest not going for a TC and doing as I described previously.

ps am not sure your LLM will help you at all unless its directly relevant.
(edited 7 years ago)

No, because someone else will beat you out as they'll show more commitment, and enthusiasm in their interviews.

If you want any old 'white collar' job, why not apply to be an admin assistant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, because someone else will beat you out as they'll show more commitment, and enthusiasm in their interviews.

If you want any old 'white collar' job, why not apply to be an admin assistant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it had some career progression fine. like fair enough i have no idea where im going in life , but i do want something that is respectable or leads on to something respectable.

with the info ive provided could i get a government job?
If it had some career progression fine. like fair enough i have no idea where im going in life , but i do want something that is respectable or leads on to something respectable.

Yes. Toy cna apply, but whether you get throygh the selection process is a different matter.You will be able to apply for all the non degree specific jobs. Some may favour a legal backhround.

Not with the lack of motivation and apathy you've shown so far..

I'd take the time to figure out which careers you'd ideally want to work in, including elements such as: work content, career trajectory, industry, role, pay, etc. Drill down on what you genuinely want to do with your time for 8-12+ hours a day, otherwise you'll just find disappointment.

Once you've done that, I recommend reaching out to people working in that area or recruiters hiring within that area to get a semblance of what kind of qualities, skills, character traits etc you'd need to show in order to be in contention for a job. Atune your CV to this, and focus on developing the skills needed for the job.

Don't take your career this lightly if you want at least some sense of success from your job hunting because there will be countless other graduates out there working their butts off to outcompete you.
Not with the lack of motivation and apathy you've shown so far..

I'd take the time to figure out which careers you'd ideally want to work in, including elements such as: work content, career trajectory, industry, role, pay, etc. Drill down on what you genuinely want to do with your time for 8-12+ hours a day, otherwise you'll just find disappointment.

Once you've done that, I recommend reaching out to people working in that area or recruiters hiring within that area to get a semblance of what kind of qualities, skills, character traits etc you'd need to show in order to be in contention for a job. Atune your CV to this, and focus on developing the skills needed for the job.

Don't take your career this lightly if you want at least some sense of success from your job hunting because there will be countless other graduates out there working their butts off to outcompete you.

how do people figure out what they like to do? anything that would conventionally work for others in determining their career has not worked for me (clearly). trying different career fields out is not pragmatic or likely to happen because internships generally need a demonstrable interest/experience in career field

so what can i do to find out what i wanna do as a career? how does one go about doing something like that if they're not inspired as a child?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending