The Student Room Group

What is the Best Way to Tackle Terrorism?

Poll

How to Tackle Terrorism?

Vote

Scroll to see replies

My answers and explanations:

1. Tackle islamophobia/alienation: YES. By treating everyone equally we can help function better as a society and terrorists will be rarer.
2. Give more jobs to minorities: NO. Everyone should have a fair chance at getting a job. We should never give jobs to a minority "just because" they are a minority. Special treatment of certain groups shares similarities to alienating them.
3. Re-integrate radicalised people: YES. If someone has been groomed to be radical then they can be brought back to a normal citizen, but it takes time and investment.
4. Improve education: YES. In all cases of grooming, education has been found to be a key factor in how vulnerable a person is to being groomed.
5. Increase islamophobia: NO. ????????? (How could this even help in the slightest?)
6. Increase survellience: YES. Sure, give people privacy, but if we didn't look out for terrorists, how would we ever find them? Waiting for them to blow something up or post a radicalised comment on twitter isn't an answer.
7. Take minorities out of jobs: NO. ??????????? (another weird choice to have...)
8. Put radicalised people into prison: NO. Help them instead. See answer 3.
9. Stop immigration: YES. I am pro immigration, but I'll happily admit that if we didn't let people who were more vulnerable to being groomed into the country, there would be fewer home grown terrorists. From statistics alone we all can see that a muslim immigrant is much more likely to be groomed than a native atheist/christian, for example, is.
I do support immigration and think the benefits outweigh the risks, but yes, with open or loose borders comes increased terrorism.
Reply 2
Threadly reminder that OP is rep farming, :^)
Shutting down those evening Islamic schools since they import their texts from Saudi Arabia thus breeding Wahhabism.
Lol like how the two most popular he doesn't like. Also like how he has taken away military intervention.
-Stop endorsing tyrants or wilfully ignoring them

-Stop ill-thought out military intervention with no strategy

-Stop selling them arms

It's more sensible to deal with the root of the problem through foreign policy than the symptom through domestic because so long as ISIS are doing their thing people within our society can be targets for radicalisation.

If people have not got a successful terrorist organisation to join which has the money and expertise to target them, then the extent to which homegrown radicalisation is a problem will diminish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
[QUOTE=Multiculturalism;64441535]Vote

This poll is really unfair, in regard to Islamic terrorism the only way they will stop is when Islam itself undergoes a reformation. With shariah law, honour killings, killings for apostasy and killing homosexual is simply unacceptable. Christianity used to be this extreme and so was Judaism however, those beliefs were reformed and made compatible with western society.

Islam has a place in our society, we all go to school with Muslims we call friends. Unfortunately this is not the case globally for Muslims and until places like Saudi Arabia reform the religion, we will continue to see Islam used as justification for the murder of innocents.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Vote

How about let people have their own opinion on the matter rather than listing options that you personally disagree with with a "(boo)" on the end to try and put people off voting for it?
Honestly, grow up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
Lol like how the two most popular he doesn't like. Also like how he has taken away military intervention.

I forgot about military intervention... yes, how many of you think an invasion of the middle east will improve things?

Original post by Ethereal World

-Stop selling them arms

I agree! I wish I could edit the poll :smile:
Original post by Armastan
How about let people have their own opinion on the matter rather than listing options that you personally disagree with with a "(boo)" on the end to try and put people off voting for it?
Honestly, grow up.

Expressing an opinion isn't immature. I'm not stopping them from voting, am I?
Expressing an opinion isn't immature. I'm not stopping them from voting, am I?

Then don't place "(boo)" on the end of all the ones you don't like since there are other people out there who would probably agree with those solutions. It's childish of you. The poll should give equal consideration for all options, not be biased towards your personal opinion when you're asking others for theirs.
I forgot about military intervention... yes, how many of you think an invasion of the middle east will improve things?

I agree! I wish I could edit the poll :smile:

How about you look at the definition because it does not specifically state invasion.
Reply 12
[QUOTE=Multiculturalism;64441929]Expressing an opinion isn't immature. I'm not stopping them from voting, am I?

You're stopping them from voting what we truly believe, we learnt biased questionnaires in GCSE statistics lessons. Everyone knows this is a biased survey.
Arming a vigilant citizenry with what Islamic terrorists most hate is the best way to defeat them. Yes, when presented with an Islamic terrorist, we must be prepared to throw bacon at them.
Send all terrorists, radicalists and anyone else who supports terror to the Middle East, build a big wall / cage / electric fencing (anything to keep them from escaping) around them and let them just kill each other. Sorted within a couple of years and saves us a bunch of money.

The rest of us can actually live in peace.
Original post by Ethereal World

What does stop "wilfully ignoring" tyrants mean? What would you have us do? Sanctions, military intervention, tell them off for being naughty?

What military intervention has no strategy? The war on the IS is a broad coalition of regional powers and outside forces, and since the intervention began the IS have lost 40% of the territory they held in Iraq and 20% in Syria (and have lost almost 30,000 men); so I'd say that that is going rather well.
Reply 16
Stop letting the government create them
Original post by toblerone eater
What does that have to do with the points I raised in criticism of your suggestions?

You are conceding that your suggestions are so weak that they cannot even withstand the simplest of scrutiny, as you then play the proverbial man, not the ball?

:rofl:
Vote

First there isn't any best way to tackle this. With Muslim children recently getting alienated and bullied for things like 9/11 and other reasons, it's not hard to influence them into joining a terrorist organisation that would make them feel belonging. This is a problem we have created ourselves. We sell them arms. We emotionally influence them (unintentionally). Worst of all we allowed it. There's no way denying that. We cannot stop this without a root cause. And unfortunately we cannot destroy a religion. Don't get me wrong, Islam is not a extremist religion. There are some misinterpretations in the Qu'ran that has caused this. And with the way we treat each other, someone is bound to have misinterpreted that idea into one of pure hatred and extremism.

Thanks, if you actually read it.
Reply 19
Hows about make it less easy to finance terror?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending