The Student Room Group

Urgent geography unit 2 fieldwork edexcel

hey guys so I'm a private candidate and i haven't even touched the geographical investigation because i don't know what to do and now the exam is in 3 weeks time ,it would be an enormous thanks if i can have some guidance on what fieldwork research i should do and some examples,i live in dubai could i do an investigation about the emirate.my 2 topics are crowded coats and rebranding + hey to all northern people here(whats up manchester!).could i also have some information of what data collection i could do primary and secondary thanks! i look forward to receiving a reply.
Original post by hadzyster99
hey guys so I'm a private candidate and i haven't even touched the geographical investigation because i don't know what to do and now the exam is in 3 weeks time ,it would be an enormous thanks if i can have some guidance on what fieldwork research i should do and some examples,i live in dubai could i do an investigation about the emirate.my 2 topics are crowded coats and rebranding + hey to all northern people here(whats up manchester!).could i also have some information of what data collection i could do primary and secondary thanks! i look forward to receiving a reply.

I've moved this to geography forum for you :h:
Reply 2

Hello from NW England!

Here are the case studies our college uses, i'm not sure how beneficial they will be to you, but you can adapt them to any location, since the methods are the same:

(Note: Use specific newspapers/websites where possible. Also, name specific sampling techniques, e.g. Stratified, and what questions 'you' asked)

Coasts:
-New Brighton

Rebranding:
-Liverpool (Urban)
-Blackpool or Cornwall (Coastal)
Reply 3
Original post by AindowJ
Hello from NW England!

Here are the case studies our college uses, i'm not sure how beneficial they will be to you, but you can adapt them to any location, since the methods are the same:

(Note: Use specific newspapers/websites where possible. Also, name specific sampling techniques, e.g. Stratified, and what questions 'you' asked)

Coasts:
-New Brighton

Rebranding:
-Liverpool (Urban)
-Blackpool or Cornwall (Coastal)

omg thanks you so much! I've done a lot of new research about the wirral, do you actually have any fieldwork which i could use and adapt, it would be of so much help, its mainly due to the fact that i now live abroad thanks so much !!
Reply 4
By field work, it generally just means:

Rebranding
-Asking questions (e.g. "If you have been here before, what are the notable
differences since the latest re branding scheme")
-Sketches (e.g. Sketch a stretch of the coast which has defenses, like the sea
wall or noticeable landmarks (3 Graces down the Mersey))
-Spoke to the marketing manager at Liverpool 1 (Shopping center)
-Footfall (Counted how many people passed a certain point over a time period)
-Environmental Quality Survey (rate on a bipolar 1-5 scale, 1 being littered and
dirty, 5 being clean, nearby bins and plants)
-Activity Survey (Ask people what they were visiting for, where they came from)

Coasts
-Coastal slope (Used a clinometer - you point up towards an object, and release
the trigger, this locks in the angle measurement which is point to
using an arrow on the apparatus) I'll attach a picture
-Geology survey (Picked up rocks, were they strong? or easily broken-like clay)
-Took photos

There's just a few, but you hopefully get the idea.

p.s-be sure to let me know what it's like to like in Dubai, i'm intrigued
:smile:
Hey, just wanted to ask is it possible for a private candidate to do this subject as it contains field work? I'm curious, how would a private candidate do unit 2 with fieldwork?
Reply 6
Original post by AindowJ
By field work, it generally just means:

Rebranding
-Asking questions (e.g. "If you have been here before, what are the notable
differences since the latest re branding scheme":wink:
-Sketches (e.g. Sketch a stretch of the coast which has defenses, like the sea
wall or noticeable landmarks (3 Graces down the Mersey))
-Spoke to the marketing manager at Liverpool 1 (Shopping center)
-Footfall (Counted how many people passed a certain point over a time period)
-Environmental Quality Survey (rate on a bipolar 1-5 scale, 1 being littered and
dirty, 5 being clean, nearby bins and plants)
-Activity Survey (Ask people what they were visiting for, where they came from)

Coasts
-Coastal slope (Used a clinometer - you point up towards an object, and release
the trigger, this locks in the angle measurement which is point to
using an arrow on the apparatus) I'll attach a picture
-Geology survey (Picked up rocks, were they strong? or easily broken-like clay)
-Took photos

There's just a few, but you hopefully get the idea.

p.s-be sure to let me know what it's like to like in Dubai, i'm intrigued
:smile:

i moved here a year ago,so so good,actually its pretty amazing including the lifestyle-so much to do and you meet so many people from around the world.
Reply 7
Original post by Cherry82
Hey, just wanted to ask is it possible for a private candidate to do this subject as it contains field work? I'm curious, how would a private candidate do unit 2 with fieldwork?

i personally work with my geography department for help so I'm guessing its okay, but the fieldwork I've mostly done just need extra advice
i personally work with my geography department for help so I'm guessing its okay, but the fieldwork I've mostly done just need extra advice

Oh that's cool. Wish you the best with Geography :smile: x
Reply 9
Original post by Cherry82
Oh that's cool. Wish you the best with Geography :smile: x

thank you very much do you do it by any chance?
thank you very much do you do it by any chance?

No, I don't. Sorry, I do however have friends that study Edexcel Geography since my school teaches the subject with the same exam board. But doubt they could help as none are on TSR. :frown:
Be very aware that examiners can often tell if a group of candidates are using the same fieldwork and can also tell if they haven't actually done it.

I would go and look at a human geography area and do a days fieldwork on it.

I don't know edexcels human parts but will have a look and give you an idea that will help.
You could look at traffic management and the flows of traffic in urban and rural areas age see how that differs, and look st different traffic management methods and see his they have been managed and what could be improved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending