The Student Room Group

Undergraduate US University Application

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frognation22
Why are you attracted to ASU or University of Arizona?

Weather and overall student life, eg: The football team. I'm looking for a traditional american college with frats and what not.
Original post by zombiejon
FYI for Common App - although a number of universities use it, their essay questions might not be the same. It also will be better if you prepare a personal statement per university.

IIRC, Stanford and U Cal do not use the Common App - they have their own systems set up.

As for SATs, I recommend registering for three exams. It's expensive, but schools only look at the highest score. A lot of times, students will not do as well on their first SAT as their second or third (exam strats, understanding the type of questions asked, etc).

Stanford uses the Common Application.

Its also not recommended for students to make their personal statements university specific. Common Application also does not allow you to do so (you may edit your personal statement three times) You do that in your supplementary essays for each university. USA personal statements are incredibly different from ours, and they should be a reflection of the student's personality traits and admissions sees if your personality is well-suited for the university environment.

It is a place for you to showcase your talents and passions, but the LAST thing a student should do is write "I participated in ___ in 2009 and received an award etc therefore I am suitable to study this subject" If you want to receive admission to a top university, you'll have to showcase your talents in the most unique way possible. I suggest you read the statements available to you online or go on College Confidential for more information on this

Register for AT LEAST two Sat Subject Tests. Take the SAT or ACT and see how well you do on it. Feel free to take the SAT or ACT test a second time if need be.
@Sparadrap2106
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GeorgeFam
Weather and overall student life, eg: The football team. I'm looking for a traditional american college with frats and what not.

I see! Good luck with finding universities. Judging by the predictions of your A Level scores have you considered a larger state university that will also provide you better academic opportunities? I.e. UCLA, UIUC, UC San Diego, Berkeley..
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I'm taking the Maths Level 2 in May as my preparation will be my revision for AS Maths/Further Maths. I'm going to take Chemistry in autumn (along with the SAT I) because a lot of the topics fall outside of the A Level 1st year content so I don't feel confident doing it without extra preparation, so I will take the summer to look at the new topics.

Yeah Columbia requires two SAT Subject Tests to apply for first year entry. Stanford says its not necessary, but nearly all the applicants will have taken at least 2 to showcase their academic strengths.
I'd still take the SAT Subject Tests if I were you--again the content is similar to AS Maths etc and since A2/AS level exams are technically required to take, it would look significantly better if you voluntarily took the Subject Tests if you see what I'm saying!
Original post by frognation22
Stanford uses the Common Application.

Its also not recommended for students to make their personal statements university specific. Common Application also does not allow you to do so (you may edit your personal statement three times) You do that in your supplementary essays for each university. USA personal statements are incredibly different from ours, and they should be a reflection of the student's personality traits and admissions sees if your personality is well-suited for the university environment.

Huh. So they changed. My information there way out of date then.

Yeah, I should have clarified on supplementary essays vs personal statement.

Also, be aware of the deadlines of when the final SAT/ACT can be taken.
Hey guys,

I have already been through the tough process of applying to the US universities. I've done all the SATs, ACTs, been through my A-levels. I applied to MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Been rejected from all of them, waitlisted at MIT but rejected after. I got 2 A* and an A in A-levels. Did fairly alright in the SATS.

I know the application processes inside out and I am happy to help if anyone has any questions!
Original post by Sparadrap2106
The SAT IIs are often similar to AS in regards to content, so it'd be best to take them soon (ie. June date) so you don't have to revisit AS level whilst preparing for A2s.

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I'm taking the Maths Level 2 in May as my preparation will be my revision for AS Maths/Further Maths. I'm going to take Chemistry in autumn (along with the SAT I) because a lot of the topics fall outside of the A Level 1st year content so I don't feel confident doing it without extra preparation, so I will take the summer to look at the new topics.

For SAT Physics and I believe the other sciences, the content is both AS + A2 and then some. So you will have to do a bit of studying yourself for those. For MathII (don't even bother with MathI tbh), having taken FM is ideal. There's some content from A2 M/FM but not too much. Just a read through a book and learning a little bit of new content will suffice
Original post by sagar448
Hey guys,

I have already been through the tough process of applying to the US universities. I've done all the SATs, ACTs, been through my A-levels. I applied to MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Been rejected from all of them, waitlisted at MIT but rejected after. I got 2 A* and an A in A-levels. Did fairly alright in the SATS.

I know the application processes inside out and I am happy to help if anyone has any questions!

Hey! I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking into applying to Art Centre in Los Angeles and USC to study game design or entertainment art, and I've just started looking into the application process. Where can I find out more info about SATs and ACTs, and what is the process like? Willing to fork out cash to take them, so that's not a problem. Thanks!
Original post by BryonyJ.
Hey! I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking into applying to Art Centre in Los Angeles and USC to study game design or entertainment art, and I've just started looking into the application process. Where can I find out more info about SATs and ACTs, and what is the process like? Willing to fork out cash to take them, so that's not a problem. Thanks!

Hey BryonyJ,

Best website to find out more about SATs and ACTs is College Board. They also have setups all over UK to even allow you to do the tests close to where you live.

If by process you mean the application:
I'd say it's not very intensive. You'll have to write several essays and present yourself in a very likeable form. The applications are usually done through something called The Common Application, unless the university you are applying to does not do that and so you'll have to go on their website and check out how to apply.

If you're talking about the SATs and ACTs:
If you do the SAT it's usually 3 hours long it contains 3 sections. Reading, Writing and Maths. I believe there is also a choice to do the SAT essay (New thing)
The SAT II tests are an hour long each and are subject tests, e.g Maths, Physics etc..
While the ACTs I haven't done them but I believe it's also like SAT II, they are subject tests out of 36. They are also an hour long each.
When you do them, you'll have to wait about 10 days to get your score. Also, as soon as you've done them, College Board usually allows you to send of the scores to the universities for free. Make sure to get them in before the specified deadline as it takes about 2-3 weeks to actually get them to the universities.

If you have any more questions, please feel free.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending