The Student Room Group

I don't want to go to university

Basically I've applied to go to university in September but I really don't want to go. The only reason I've applied is because I've spent the last two years trying to find my dream job but getting nowhere.
I'm hoping that after uni i'll be able to get the job I want. However I've talked to quite a few people, who have been to uni also thinking that it will get them the job that they want, and all it's brought them is a mountain of debt.

I'm not a massively social person I don't like being around loads of people and get quite stressed when I can't have time alone. I also got very stressed during my A levels and I'm worried that it'll be even worse when i'm at uni and miles away from home.
So i'm not really sure what to do. Go to uni and hate it? Or stay at home in a job I also hate?
Imo dont go, but make a plan so you have a better idea of what you want to do and how to get there. You cna go to uni later if thats what it takes, but in the meantime find out what you like. Pointless getting into £50k worth of debt if its in the wrong area or you find out its for soemthing you didnt need.

Dont be a sheeple.

Go and see your careers adviser. you should also work out why you dont wnat to go, maybe its just fear of soemthing new or maybe you want a break from studying. If you do a bit of research in why you feel the way you do, then your options will become clearer.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think going will offer more potential for brighter better things! It seems scary, but all things that are outside our comfort zones do; that's how we grow. It's ok that you don't yet know what area you want to work in - university will give you opportunities to explore this. What subject is it you are going to study?
Original post by DiagonalWallaby
Basically I've applied to go to university in September but I really don't want to go. The only reason I've applied is because I've spent the last two years trying to find my dream job but getting nowhere.
I'm hoping that after uni i'll be able to get the job I want. However I've talked to quite a few people, who have been to uni also thinking that it will get them the job that they want, and all it's brought them is a mountain of debt.

I'm not a massively social person I don't like being around loads of people and get quite stressed when I can't have time alone. I also got very stressed during my A levels and I'm worried that it'll be even worse when i'm at uni and miles away from home.
So i'm not really sure what to do. Go to uni and hate it? Or stay at home in a job I also hate?

Are there any universities local to you that could offer the course you want?
It can be very hard to leave home for the first time and start in a strange place. I would recommend trying it out, see if you like it rather than believe that the misgivings you feel now are what it will be like. Then, if you don't like it, you can leave. But you might also love the freedom you feel, in a safe environment, to experiment and grow. Open yourself to the unexpected. You are only beginning to discover who you are.

Besides, if you want an interesting job, and it sounds like you do, a university offers the highest probability of getting one.
Reply 5
Don't cancel your ucas application just yet. Many applicants do get worries and are unsure if they're doing the right thing. It could be something more but it could just be normal worries.

If you withdraw your application you cannot go to uni. If you don't withdraw you can always do that later, but you can change your mind and still go if you want to.

Think about what you actually want to do in future and start making a plan to get there. This might be a long term plan, as you'll probably need a lot of experience and maybe some additional qualifications to get there. The plan will take a while to write so don't be alarmed if you just get as far as "become an astronaut" today.
You've set up two alternatives neither of which currently appeal to you.

Possibly, you need a reality check about whether you can realistically land your ideal job, without having to do a few duff ones first as groundwork.
It is quite a dilemma, i think you should certainly do a lot more research into how useful the degree will be in the long run in getting your dream job, or perhaps exploring other 'stepping stones' into getting that dream job.

If you're being shoe horned into getting a degree because its seen as the done thing and you're getting cold feet now, and i dont want to be a doom sayer, but you'll probably have a bad time going in with the negative attitude. However you may get there and be very pleasantly surprised, you dont have to be a massively social person to find your clique and have a good time in the way you want to do it.

Bare in mind you can always drop out after 1 term or so, it will give you a chance to give it a try and come out with relatively little debt to go for it, you may be worried now but then you may regret it in the future if it transpires that it could have helped you not only develop your career prospects but also your skills and personal being in general.

Things might seem a long way away in perspective but anywhere in the UK is no more than 5 hours by train or plane, im from London and study in St Andrews so it is quite a treck for my also.

I wouldn't take 1 person's anecdote to say that university will not help you with a job.

And as for the debt thing it is misrepresented a lot, it won't be a 'mountain of debt' which will burden or encumber you much at all. You only really start paying it back when you earn a respectable salary and even then its capped at 9% of the salary so if you are in a position where you notice the funds leaving your account then you have a very decent salary as it is.
Reply 8
Original post by DiagonalWallaby

I you do not want to go DO NOT go, coz you will not do yourself justice.
Get a job or something and you can always go to university when you are a bit older, if you change your mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending