The Student Room Group

Housing benefit - help anyone??

I'm trying to work out how much housing benefit I will receive whil I study. I'm a lone parent with one dependent child. I've contacted the council but they said they can't provide any information until I actually apply in August. I just want an estimate so I can calculate my finances for the year. Is there anyone here who gets HB? If so could you tell me what percentage they pay or how much of your maintenance loan is classed as income when calculating?
Original post by Alice__90
I'm trying to work out how much housing benefit I will receive whil I study. I'm a lone parent with one dependent child. I've contacted the council but they said they can't provide any information until I actually apply in August. I just want an estimate so I can calculate my finances for the year. Is there anyone here who gets HB? If so could you tell me what percentage they pay or how much of your maintenance loan is classed as income when calculating?

Have you tried putting your details into a benefits calculator? http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/entitlement-calculator.aspx?e2dwp=y

Although they say they don't calculate benefits properly for full time students it might give you some indication if you put in your SFE income as if it were paid employment income
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you tried putting your details into a benefits calculator? http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/entitlement-calculator.aspx?e2dwp=y

Although they say they don't calculate benefits properly for full time students it might give you some indication if you put in your SFE income as if it were paid employment income

Thank you. Just did it and it says I'll only have to contribute about 10% to my rent. Hope it's right!
I know some single parents that don't get any housing benefit.

I get full housing benefit because I have my wife (who does not work) and the 2 kids.

I also get PIP for disability so the amount of income I can have is increased.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Oldstudent11
I know some single parents that don't get any housing benefit.

I get full housing benefit because I have my wife (who does not work) and the 2 kids.

I also get PIP for disability so the amount of income I can have is increased.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been informed that the council will take roughly £8000 of my student loan as income (living in London). Going by that I'll get the majority of my rent paid. I guess it varies.
Reply 5
If you'll be full time you also won't have to pay council tax
Hey :smile:

To be honest whats going to happen is, your housing benefit will be reduced and replaced by the higher element of maintenance loan from student finance, so you will be no better or worse off, don't panic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending