The Student Room Group

Bullies: Did anyone on TSR used bully someone? Why did you do it?

This is an earnest attempt to humanize bullies.

You always hear from people that have been bullied that the reason why bullies bully is because they were unhappy with themselves, But I have a lot of trouble believing that.

There have been bullies I've encountered in life that have had lots of friends, and family, did well in school etc. And would seemingly have no reason to be upset about themselves.

So.

What is the real reason? is it an ego thing?

Scroll to see replies

maybe
There are far worse things in the world than being 'bullied'.

Quit your self pitying and man up.
I'm currently working my issues out with my therapist.

I don't think it's going too well because she chided me for stealing her lunch money today.

:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nigel Farage *

Do you think someone who self-harms is not a bad thing? Do you think someone committing suicide is not a bad thing? Both of those - and more things similar to that - are a result of bullying - and if you think that bullying is not as important as other things in the world - you're neither man or human.
Reply 5
Original post by tealites
This is an earnest attempt to humanize bullies.

You always hear from people that have been bullied that the reason why bullies bully is because they were unhappy with themselves, But I have a lot of trouble believing that.

There have been bullies I've encountered in life that have had lots of friends, and family, did well in school etc. And would seemingly have no reason to be upset about themselves.

So.

What is the real reason? is it an ego thing?

There probably are bullies on tsr but doubt anyone would actually admit it tbh lol
And the thing you said about some bullies you've encountered have had friends and done we'll in school etc. Well you never know what goes on behind closed doors, I've known people whose lives seem to be perfect but behind closed doors it's a completely different story 😟
Reply 6
Original post by Blackstarr
maybe

:biggrin:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Do you think someone who self-harms is not a bad thing? Do you think someone committing suicide is not a bad thing? Both of those - and more things similar to that - are a result of bullying -

I do indeed think these are 'bad things'. However, the vast majority of people who are 'bullied' do not go on to kill themselves.

and if you think that bullying is not as important as other things in the world - you're neither man or human.

What a ridiculous statement. I could mention thousands of things that happen in the world that are far worse than being 'bullied'.
Reply 8

Are your deluded? I can't believe your saying and I quote "There are far worse things in the world than being bullied. Quit yourself pitying and man up". Many people like myself have been bullied in the past and for you to suggest that I should man up and stop pitying is an insult to victims like me and you ought to apologise. I hope that your aware that those who are bullied may have put themselves in self harm and dare I say in a harsh way, some victims have ended their own life's because of this.

Responding to the OPs question, I believe that the issue with bullying as a whole is just as important as other issues such as FGM etc.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Used to call my sister fatty fat fats from time to time because, well, she was a chubby little goody-two-shoes :dontknow:

Also used to take the Mick out of this French exchange kid because, well, he was an objectionable, arrogant little twerp :redface:

What a complete monster you are! They must need some urgent psychological help.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Used to call my sister fatty fat fats from time to time because, well, she was a chubby little goody-two-shoes :dontknow:

Also used to take the Mick out of this French exchange kid because, well, he was an objectionable, arrogant little twerp :redface:

I used to call my sister fat when we had arguments when we were younger. And I feel sooo guilty now because she was so lacking in confidence as a teenager and there was me calling her fat.

As a kid you just really don't see sometime how what you say can have harmful effects. :frown:
I do indeed think these are 'bad things'. However, the vast majority of people who are 'bullied' do not go on to kill themselves.

However, it is a very large number and it is increasing every year. Just because a "vast majority of people" do not go on to kill themselves doesn't imply that it's not important.

What a ridiculous statement. I could mention thousands of things that happen in the world that are far worse than being 'bullied'.

Ha! That's funny, "ridiculous" - should maybe re-read your comment and see which one's ridiculous. Why do you think people being bullied isn't important? Are you/were you a bully yourself? Have you ever been bullied? Do you know what it feels like?

By the way, you're not funny. Don't know if I should take you seriously or not (looks at user name and profile picture).
Reply 12
Original post by MrMackyTv
However, it is a very large number and it is increasing every year. Just because a "vast majority of people" do not go on to kill themselves doesn't imply that it's not important.

Ha! That's funny, "ridiculous" - should maybe re-read your comment and see which one's ridiculous. Why do you think people being bullied isn't important? Are you/were you a bully yourself? Have you ever been bullied? Do you know what it feels like?

By the way, you're not funny. Don't know if I should take you seriously or not (looks at user name and profile picture).

It's not a 'very large number', do you have anything to back this up?

People kill themselves over many different things, such as losing their jobs or having a break up etc, you will never be able to stop people losing their jobs or having a break up. 'Bullying' will always exist no matter what you do. People will say/do things to you in life that are not very nice, this is a fact of life and something you simply have to accept and get on with.

I was not a bully, A couple of people in school said some things to me that weren't very nice, but I didn't cry about it, I got over it.

Getting diagnosed with a illness, such as cancer etc, starving to death, having your house and family members blown up by drones, these are far worse things than being bullied. I bet you're healthy, have a roof over your head, have access to food/water, have electricity, have a phone, computer etc. Go live in a 3rd world country for 6 months and then you will realize just how lucky you are.
Reply 13
Original post by really ?

People kill themselves over many different things, such as losing their jobs or having a break up etc, you will never be able to stop people losing their jobs or having a break up. 'Bullying' will always exist no matter what you do. People will say/do things to you in life that are not very nice, this is a fact of life and something you simply have to accept and get on with.

I was not a bully, A couple of people in school said some things to me that weren't very nice, but I didn't cry about it, I got over it.

Getting diagnosed with a illness, such as cancer etc, starving to death, having your house and family members blown up by drones, these are far worse things than being bullied. I bet you're healthy, have a roof over your head, have access to food/water, have electricity, have a phone, computer etc. Go live in a 3rd world country for 6 months and then you will realize just how lucky you are.

First of all, I can't take your response seriously as you look like someone who has made an account especially for this. It doesn't take a genius to work out that bullying happens to a "very large number" of people but if you want to be more specific than you can research stats for this.

Second of all, I'm not ignorant to know that people kill themselves for many things, that was obvious. - Weak argument

Third of all, if you were a victim of bullying why is it that you regard bullying as less important than those "diagnosed with ... cancer" and don't you DARE insult a fellow TSRian about nonsense of living in a 3rd world country for 6 months; I think the fellow TSRian knows very well what's it's like.

Finally, don't bother coming on here to debate this question when your argument isn't convincing. You're the weakest link, goodbye.

EDIT: Person has decency to make another thread and tag me for no reason at all and not responding to my comments. - Weak, weak, weak!
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's be honest, TSR users are far more likely to have been bullied than be the bullies. Especially MHoC.
Reply 15
Original post by JTran38

Third of all, if you were a victim of bullying why is it that you regard bullying as less important than those "diagnosed with ... cancer"

Because having cancer is FAR WORSE than being bullied. If you honestly think being bullied is on par with cancer you are daft.
Reply 16
Because having cancer is FAR WORSE than being bullied. If you honestly think being bullied is on par with cancer you are daft.

To some extent you are right but I'm no daft person and WTF have you made another thread.

Yes I do:
A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying

" at least half of suicides" - which is thousands every year is quite a lot of people. Number shouldn't matter, people shouldn't have to go to an extent of killing themselves because of bullying. Despite that, suicide in the thousands is quite a lot of people, especially since suicide wasn't really common (well now it is).

Sorry, so your saying that people being bullied should just simply accept it and get on with it? What is wrong with you? What about reporting it and trying to solve it instead of "accept(ing)" it. That's not the right attitude and telling people just to tolerate it is just not okay.

Okay so you weren't bullied? And bullying isn't just verbal abuse, it can be physical too.

I think those things are equally as important as bullying because bullying can destroy you. Now, let me just try and prove a point here. It seems all the things you have listed have a "large number" of people being effected. Again, as I said with the @Nigel Farage guy, the amount of people effected doesn't change the importance of an issue, including this. Cancer has nothing to do with this, neither does poverty. Please post something relevant before I lose my patience and report it for being irrelevant.
Reply 18
Original post by JTran38
To some extent you are right but I'm no daft person and WTF have you made another thread.

To prove my point :wink:

I want to say a few things to you then I'm done with you for now:

1. I can't believe you compare such a horrible disease to have, to bullying. Why? Bullying can have an effect on your mental health, it can damage you.
2. Now what has really ticked me off with you is that you think you have the decency to post a thread with a poll asking people to choose between cancer and bullying? What is wrong with you?

The only person who's daft is you.

Latest