The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainhuman
I have lost faith that we will achieve that.

I honestly don't think that we will obliterate ourselves but we definitely do need strong international unions to prevent it and people need to get off their "mah sovereignty" high horses and deal with the real world.
Original post by plstudent
The UN are the ones making the refugee treaties that force local weak politicians to comply. There are no limits in these treaties. Politicians only say "we have to follow UN rules" blah blah.

So basically, the UN has control, because it imposes obligations

Spoiler

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49da0e466.html

Yes, the UN is an extremely leftist organisation.

The UN does not 'make' treaties. Its Members do, facilitated by the UN as an international forum. If we've signed up to it, it's through our own sovereign will.

Current PM of Sweden seems pretty relevant to me. I haven't spent a lot of time in the UK so I'm sure that others will find better examples. But I also provided an example from the UK if you read my edit.

One advisor's quote from a decade ago does not demonstrate that the entire left desires anything remotely like unlimited immigration today. Did Labour shut down the Border Service? Because if they wanted unlimited immigration, that seems like something they would want to do.
Original post by Plagioclase
I honestly don't think that we will obliterate ourselves but we definitely do need strong international unions to prevent it and people need to get off their "mah sovereignty" high horses and deal with the real world.

Oh yes, I totally agree with you that that is most likely the only way.

But at the moment with what is going on in the world, I have no faith. Humans are too selfish.
Original post by gladders
The UN does not 'make' treaties. Its Members do, facilitated by the UN as an international forum. If we've signed up to it, it's through our own sovereign will.

One advisor's quote from a decade ago does not demonstrate that the entire left desires anything remotely like unlimited immigration today. Did Labour shut down the Border Service? Because if they wanted unlimited immigration, that seems like something they would want to do.

The content of the treaties is by the UN and based on UN rights. If politicians sign up for a treaty most people don't understand, it doesn't really say a lot about the people's will. Rest assured, the treaties are total garbage, but every single left wing government and party in Europe supports them.

Of course Labor will not say they want uncontrolled migration because nobody would vote for them. That's the same reason they didn't shut down the border, but the long term effects of what they are doing are the same, as Britons and Europeans in general are becoming a minority in their own countries in the name of "progress" and "humanity".
The content of the treaties is by the UN and based on UN rights. If politicians sign up for a treaty most people don't understand, it doesn't really say a lot about the people's will. Rest assured, the treaties are total garbage, but every single left wing government and party in Europe supports them.

Uh-uh.

And what of the right-wing ones?

Of course Labor will not say they want uncontrolled migration because nobody would vote for them. That's the same reason they didn't shut down the border, but the long term effects of what they are doing are the same, as Britons and Europeans in general are becoming a minority in their own countries in the name of "progress" and "humanity".

Yeah, right. Would you like a tin hat?
Uh-uh.

And what of the right-wing ones?

As you can see for yourself, "conservatives" are nowhere near as extreme as left wingers. Many say they are no right wingers at all. A few parties on the "far right" do oppose the treaties.

Yeah, right. Would you like a tin hat?

I'll settle for a mathematics course.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/white-britons-will-be-minority-before-2070-says-professor-8600262.html

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/03/race.world
(edited 7 years ago)
As you can see for yourself, "conservatives" are nowhere near as extreme as left wingers. Many say they are no right wingers at all.

I'll settle for a mathematics course.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/white-britons-will-be-minority-before-2070-says-professor-8600262.html

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/03/race.world

Sorry.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-will-britain-have-a-muslim-majority-by-2050/13690

Yeah, thanks for showing that you didn't even read/understand my articles.
Yeah, thanks for showing that you didn't even read/understand my articles.

I did. I've seen them before. They assume a lot of present trends will remain constant, when they won't.
I did. I've seen them before. They assume a lot of present trends will remain constant, when they won't.

Even if immigrants began having fewer children, it might at most postpone the date to 2070. Immigration to Europe has been increasing lately, so the trends could also change in the direction of more migration. And if it does decrease, it won't be thanks to Labor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Even if immigrants began having fewer children, it might at most postpone the date to 2070. Immigration to Europe has been increasing lately, so the trends could also change in the direction of more migration. And if it does decrease, it won't be thanks to Labor.

This is getting pretty boring now. Tar-ah.
This is getting pretty boring now. Tar-ah.

It's never fun when you lose. :wink:
It's never fun when you lose. :wink:

You haven't won, your tin hat got wonky!
You haven't won, your tin hat got wonky!

You are calling simple mathematics and statistics tinfoil hat theories. I guess it's only a miracle we have computers, cars and other engineering achievements.
You are calling simple mathematics and statistics tinfoil hat theories. I guess it's only a miracle we have computers, cars and other engineering achievements.

'Simple' mathematics which were busted by a fact-checking site. Sorry, no dice.
'Simple' mathematics which were busted by a fact-checking site. Sorry, no dice.

The site only "busts" a claim I never made. Being generous and taking into account the considerations in your site, the study I linked to remains valid, but with perhaps a later deadline.

Go on hacking and slashing your straw man, but you are making as much difference as Don Quijote.
As someone looking to work in financial services, I think staying in the EU will be 100% the best choice for the economy and for British businesses. Vote to stay.
LEAVE - The UK is practically full, A country that can't produce enough food for it's people and has to take imports is not a country that would be safe if there was to be a war.

If we stay the population will continue to increase from immigrants, And the longer we wait the worse the situation will become and the harder it will be for people to choose to leave because imports will be a larger issue.

People who say stay in the EU and continue to take imports & immigrants, that is a bad idea as the population will come to a point where if there was a war cutting the UK off from European imports the population will be too damn high to keep everyone fed.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
LEAVE - The UK is practically full, A country that can't produce enough food for it's people and has to take imports is not a country that would be safe if there was to be a war.

If we stay the population will continue to increase from immigrants, And the longer we wait the worse the situation will become and the harder it will be for people to choose to leave because imports will be a larger issue.

People who say stay in the EU and continue to take imports & immigrants, that is a bad idea as the population will come to a point where if there was a war cutting the UK off from European imports the population will be too damn high to keep everyone fed.

This is why you have to be 18 to vote.
Original post by macromicro
This is why you have to be 18 to vote.

I have reason's for my comment:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4048579

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending