The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrMackyTv
Did you read the rest of my response?

I'm assuming by what you just said implies that people should just tolerate it and do nothing right? Tell me how would I just "ignore" bullying. Tell me. I'm pretty sure if someone kept saying things to you everyday it would get to you. Bullying effects people mentally, some people are tougher than others yes, but "manning up" isn't going to help the situation because you have people self-harming and committing suicide because they've been told to "man up".

Shame, I though on a site like this people would support people being bullied and tell them to report it and etc - clearly not.

in all honesty I think he has a point about manning up,I see so many people who are so sensitive, but continuous bullying or physical bullying is not right

I assume you did not read all of mine, but we need to "man up" to a certain degree, the world is not a giant safespace.
Original post by celloel
The two people, one of you, are the ones that compared bullying to FGM, and to cancer, hence the reasoning for me using it also.

How? Was I the one to bring this topic up? No.

I wasn't punched 'once or twice' - it was every single day. And you know what? I got over it, because ****ing hell, so many people just use bullying as an excuse - years later. It's pathetic, it really is. This discussion was never about depression or anxiety, it was only ever about bullying. Bullying and depression/anxiety don't go hand in hand. In any case, you're assuming that cancer/FGM wouldn't bring about things like depression. How ridiculous of an assumption to make. I'd be more depressed at having to go through chemotherapy/surgery/etc than being bullied. Honestly.

As an excuse for what?

When did I say that cancer and FGM doesn't effect people mentally? You assumed wrong, stop making false assumptions. Kind of hypocritical to call someone irrational when you're doing the exact same thing.

What I find pathetic is people are bringing in irrelevant things into this discussion, as the OP said, this was meant to be about bullying. Because of that now it has caused a big argument. Is that my fault? No.

There is absolutely - ABSOLUTELY - no way that bullying is worse than cancer. You saying that is disgusting, and highlights how ridiculous you are. Therefore, this conversation is done, because you are clearly irrational.

I didn't say bullying is worse than cancer. Cancer is a disease, how could you compare that to bullying? Both are very sensitive topics and comparing them will not help people make the decision on how important awareness of bullying is. As I said above, it's hypocritical to call someone irrational when you're being irrational yourself.
Reply 42
Original post by tealites
This is an earnest attempt to humanize bullies.

You always hear from people that have been bullied that the reason why bullies bully is because they were unhappy with themselves, But I have a lot of trouble believing that.

There have been bullies I've encountered in life that have had lots of friends, and family, did well in school etc. And would seemingly have no reason to be upset about themselves.

So.

What is the real reason? is it an ego thing?

In the states, the bullied high school students are the reason why school shootings happen so often.
School was boring otherwise.
Original post by AperfectBalance
in all honesty I think he has a point about manning up,I see so many people who are so sensitive, but continuous bullying or physical bullying is not right

I assume you did not read all of mine, but we need to "man up" to a certain degree, the world is not a giant safespace.

Give me a reason not to be sensitive on such a topic?

You said it yourself, it's not right, therefore, by saying "man up" you're suggesting people should tolerate it. If people believe something is not right, it shouldn't be tolerated (such as racism), you're contradicting you're own argument.
Reply 45
Original post by HOLA255
In the states, the bullied high school students are the reason why school shootings happen so often.

Thats a gun problem not a bullying one.
Give me a reason not to be sensitive on such a topic?

You said it yourself, it's not right, therefore, by saying "man up" you're suggesting people should tolerate it. If people believe something is not right, it shouldn't be tolerated (such as racism), you're contradicting you're own argument.

Not contradicting at all.

If someone comes up to you and lets say calls you a idiot or a *******, you should not go crying or tell someone, just ignore it, why should you care about what some guy thinks about you. if someone constantly does this to you, you should get someone involved. Manning up does not mean taking everything as some people cannot, just being a little less sensitive
Reply 47
Give me a reason not to be sensitive on such a topic?.

Reply 48
Original post by really ?
Thats a gun problem not a bullying one.

It's both.
Reply 49
Original post by HOLA255
It's both.

Mainly guns.
I was a bully. (I feel disappointed in myself for admitting it, but at least I am being honest). But the main reason why I did it was because people bullied me first, and it made me feel so low and weak so I bullied others to make me feel better about myself and stronger.
I was just insecure and had bad self esteem I guess, so I just let it out on others to make myself feel better about myself. Looking back at my behaviour, I felt like I could have thought of better ways to deal with my low self esteem/insecurities and this was about 4 years ago and I still feel bad about the way I treated a few people.
Bullying someone is a nasty thing to do, I would never in my life think about bullying someone again, but I did pay for the consequences, I was hurt and felt like a horrible person for ages. Being a bully/bullying someone is not a nice thing to go through :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Mainly guns.

It's the murderous hate that victims have for their bullies. That is the logical consequence of bullying. A bully taunts for their own fun and pleasure and what results is a deep rooted hatred from the victim towards the bully or bullies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Not contradicting at all.

If you believe something is not right, but then say you should tolerate it, then it is contradictory. Because if you believe something is not right you're suggesting it shouldn't be tolerated. But by saying "man up" is contradicting what you said previously... I don't get how you don't understand that.

If someone comes up to you and lets say calls you a idiot or a *******, you should not go crying or tell someone, just ignore it, why should you care about what some guy thinks about you. if someone constantly does this to you, you should get someone involved. Manning up does not mean taking everything as some people cannot, just being a little less sensitive

If someone calls you an idiot one time that's not bullying, if someone continuously does it and other verbal abuse then it is damaging. How do you know that the person your calling an idiot is dyslexic? How do you not know that this person has a learning disability? Do you think calling them an idiot is going to help them?

Manning up is good, I admit it too. It's life, you have to go through it but things like bullying people handle differently. Bullying is not something to tolerate.

Seriously?
Reply 54
Mainly guns.

See the fat kid's rage

[video="youtube;xfdQpEcAk8w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdQpEcAk8w[/video]
Reply 55
Original post by tealites
This is an earnest attempt to humanize bullies.

You always hear from people that have been bullied that the reason why bullies bully is because they were unhappy with themselves, But I have a lot of trouble believing that.

There have been bullies I've encountered in life that have had lots of friends, and family, did well in school etc. And would seemingly have no reason to be upset about themselves.

So.

What is the real reason? is it an ego thing?

For all the victims of bullying
[video="youtube;xfdQpEcAk8w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdQpEcAk8w[/video]
Reply 56
Original post by loveleest
I was a bully. (I feel disappointed in myself for admitting it, but at least I am being honest). But the main reason why I did it was because people bullied me first, and it made me feel so low and weak so I bullied others to make me feel better about myself and stronger.
I was just insecure and had bad self esteem I guess, so I just let it out on others to make myself feel better about myself. Looking back at my behaviour, I felt like I could have thought of better ways to deal with my low self esteem/insecurities and this was about 4 years ago and I still feel bad about the way I treated a few people.
Bullying someone is a nasty thing to do, I would never in my life think about bullying someone again, but I did pay for the consequences, I was hurt and felt like a horrible person for ages. Being a bully/bullying someone is not a nice thing to go through :frown:

It's great to hear your side, thanks for sharing :smile:
I did. It was because I was a truculent little ****. Nothing more nor less.
There is plenty of people on TSR who bully other users.
Original post by DiddyDec
There is plenty of people on TSR who bully other users.

:hugs:

Latest