The Student Room Group

A-level choices...

I've just put in my A-level subject choices, they are:
Maths, Economics, English Literature and History
I'd like to have taken Physics but unfortunately it clashed with Economics. Any comments on them regarding difficulty, enjoyment and overall opinion on them would be very welcome, thankss

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Bondioz
I'd like to have taken Physics but unfortunately it clashed with Economics. Any comments on them regarding difficulty, enjoyment and overall opinion on them would be very welcome, thankss

The most important thing is that it meets any subject requirements for the course you want to do at uni (if you know what you want to do). Otherwise, I did Maths and Economics at AS, absolutely hated maths (but it was mainly because one of the maths teachers made my life hell) and I loved economics (it was really interesting and I had a good teacher - although I did only end up with a low B at AS in it). With English Literature and History, it is important that you enjoy essay based subjects and analysis otherwise they will be really hard :smile:
Reply 3
Maths is fun, Economics is an easy A(*), didn't do the other two.
Reply 4
Original post by Bondioz

Yaaay I'm taking History and English Lit aswell! What exam board are you on if you don't mind me asking :biggrin:
Good choice OP. Lit is hard if you don't have a good teacher, though you'll be able to save yourself if you look up the specification online. History is fun, but there's a lot to remember, so start revision early.
Original post by Bondioz

What do you intend to do with these A levels?
English Lit is very very hard. I got 2 A*s in my English GCSEs without revising, but I'm lucky to get C's now. 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by senpaipoppy
The most important thing is that it meets any subject requirements for the course you want to do at uni (if you know what you want to do). Otherwise, I did Maths and Economics at AS, absolutely hated maths (but it was mainly because one of the maths teachers made my life hell) and I loved economics (it was really interesting and I had a good teacher - although I did only end up with a low B at AS in it). With English Literature and History, it is important that you enjoy essay based subjects and analysis otherwise they will be really hard :smile:

Thanks! Do you know much about Chemistry or Biology? I'm considering changing History for either of them, due to 2 essay subjects not being at my height of interest:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
What do you intend to do with these A levels?

Deffo university, just not too sure what yet; Economics, a Science or an interesting degree such as Archaeology are just some of what I'd like to do with my future !
Reply 10
Original post by twhiddy
Yaaay I'm taking History and English Lit aswell! What exam board are you on if you don't mind me asking :biggrin:

I didn't do History at GCSE, but the A-level exam board is AQA, English Lit is AQA I think as well!
Reply 11
Original post by kiera28
English Lit is very very hard. I got 2 A*s in my English GCSEs without revising, but I'm lucky to get C's now. 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I'm also on track for 2 A*s without revising.... hahaha
Reply 12
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Good choice OP. Lit is hard if you don't have a good teacher, though you'll be able to save yourself if you look up the specification online. History is fun, but there's a lot to remember, so start revision early.

Thanks, what is your opinion on Chemistry/Biology?
Original post by Bondioz

I do the latter three subjects at A2, so feel free to ask me any questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bondioz
Deffo university, just not too sure what yet; Economics, a Science or an interesting degree such as Archaeology are just some of what I'd like to do with my future !

Hiya! If you want to do something science based, I'd recommend taking a science A Level, rather than two essay based subjects. One would be beneficial, but two is a bit overkill for what you want to do.

I do both English Literature & History and they're my least favourite and worst subjects (A*s at GCSE without revising, high Bs/low As at AS Level in Lit, Bs in History). Be prepared for remembering a lot of quotes and critics, etc, in English, as well as practising analysis. Obviously you'll have a lot more facts to know than GCSE for History, and the essays will have to be of a much higher standard to achieve the top grades. Be prepared to work hard if you do take two essay based subjects!
Reply 15
Original post by Edminzodo
I do the latter three subjects at A2, so feel free to ask me any questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect - Is taking English Lit and History too much for someone who didn't do History at GCSE? Also, what do your friends that have taken either Chemistry or Biology say about their subjects?
anyone rate my choices.

Law- I want it to be my future career. I know you don't have to do it but I want to.
Eng Lit- Useful for law and I enjoy it
Classical History- my most enjoyable subjects, i absolutely love history and I am already well versed on 2 of the 3 topics.

Not sure about what I should do for 4th probably will go with politics.

Government and politics.
Economics

Extended project.
Reply 17
Original post by celloel
Hiya! If you want to do something science based, I'd recommend taking a science A Level, rather than two essay based subjects. One would be beneficial, but two is a bit overkill for what you want to do.

I do both English Literature & History and they're my least favourite and worst subjects (A*s at GCSE without revising, high Bs/low As at AS Level in Lit, Bs in History). Be prepared for remembering a lot of quotes and critics, etc, in English, as well as practising analysis. Obviously you'll have a lot more facts to know than GCSE for History, and the essays will have to be of a much higher standard to achieve the top grades. Be prepared to work hard if you do take two essay based subjects!

Okay.. did you take a science? I'm likely to drop History for one and I'm not sure which to pick from Chemistry or Biology. Maths seems essential, I'm good at, and love, English Lit, and Economics is so interesting, so I'm left with Chemistry, Biology or History (Art and Government and Politics too, but I'd rather not).
Original post by AperfectBalance
anyone rate my choices.

Law- I want it to be my future career. I know you don't have to do it but I want to.
Eng Lit- Useful for law and I enjoy it
Classical History- my most enjoyable subjects, i absolutely love history and I am already well versed on 2 of the 3 topics.

Not sure about what I should do for 4th probably will go with politics.

Government and politics.
Economics

Extended project.

What do you mean by Classical History? Classical Civilization? And Law A-Level is sometimes detrimental to a Law application to university, or so I've heard. If you're aiming for top universities then you may want more facilitating subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bondioz
Perfect - Is taking English Lit and History too much for someone who didn't do History at GCSE? Also, what do your friends that have taken either Chemistry or Biology say about their subjects?

I think it may be a bit of a shock to the system at first, but with hard work you should be able to manage, if you are decent at writing essays. Do you do any other essay subjects now?

And I've heard that Biology has a lot of content and rote learning, which makes it dull at times. As for Chemistry, I've heard that it's really tough but people seem to enjoy it! I don't really know a lot about Science at A-Level, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest