The Student Room Group

Don't want to do my chosen degree anymore!

Hello,

I'm in my A2 year studying chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. When I first picked my A levels I wanted to do physics at university, however during AS I discovered that I didn't like physics as much as I thought I did, but I did enjoy chemistry. So I applied for chemistry at university. This year however, every one of my subjects have almost no interest to me. I've firmed and insured universities but I honestly don't think I'm going to enjoy studying a masters in chemistry for 4 years, and thats even if I get the grades (currently I'm quite far off). I'm going to continue till the end of this year and still try my best in exams, as there is little point in dropping out of college now.

I don't know what to do. I really enjoy art, I try to do it as much as I can in my spare time and the sense of accomplishment and pride after completing a piece is great. I also enjoy literature, but obviously my A level choices are not compatible with either of these things.

I don't know how to go about either restarting a levels or doing a different course? Or is there any other options available to me? Does anybody have any suggestions? Art related ideas would be great.

Thank you.
Original post by abbiemca_
Hello,

I'm in my A2 year studying chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. When I first picked my A levels I wanted to do physics at university, however during AS I discovered that I didn't like physics as much as I thought I did, but I did enjoy chemistry. So I applied for chemistry at university. This year however, every one of my subjects have almost no interest to me. I've firmed and insured universities but I honestly don't think I'm going to enjoy studying a masters in chemistry for 4 years, and thats even if I get the grades (currently I'm quite far off). I'm going to continue till the end of this year and still try my best in exams, as there is little point in dropping out of college now.

I don't know what to do. I really enjoy art, I try to do it as much as I can in my spare time and the sense of accomplishment and pride after completing a piece is great. I also enjoy literature, but obviously my A level choices are not compatible with either of these things.

I don't know how to go about either restarting a levels or doing a different course? Or is there any other options available to me? Does anybody have any suggestions? Art related ideas would be great.

Thank you.

There's something called a foundation diploma in art that might help you get into an art related degree :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
There's something called a foundation diploma in art that might help you get into an art related degree :smile:

Seconded, I was tempted to do it the other way round and go from humanities to Computer Science!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I've looked into this but a lot of the courses are saying I will have to pay (and they aren't cheap!) Maybe I'm looking at the wrong things??
I've looked into this but a lot of the courses are saying I will have to pay (and they aren't cheap!) Maybe I'm looking at the wrong things??

I m afraid as that type of course counts as further education then you may have to pay the fees. However, from looking on ucas there are some foundation years about but I recon you'd need to build up a portfolio to show at interview, so maybe the foundation diploma is a better bet.
Reply 5
I m afraid as that type of course counts as further education then you may have to pay the fees. However, from looking on ucas there are some foundation years about but I recon you'd need to build up a portfolio to show at interview, so maybe the foundation diploma is a better bet.

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Thank you for your help! :smile:

No problem :smile: I hope you find a way that suits you to do your chosen degree :smile:
Absolutely do not go ahead with chemistry. Do something that really interests you, but make sure. You only get one real shot, so make it count.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Absolutely do not go ahead with chemistry. Do something that really interests you, but make sure. You only get one real shot, so make it count.

Thank you, I'm thinking the same way. I'm going to get through my exams and then decide what I really want to do, but I am 99% sure it will not be chemistry! Just need a plan of action I think. Thank you for your response :smile:
Thank you, I'm thinking the same way. I'm going to get through my exams and then decide what I really want to do, but I am 99% sure it will not be chemistry! Just need a plan of action I think. Thank you for your response :smile:

The safe way imo is to get the best grades you can, which will give you options and make your parents happy. Take the year out and research what you want to do plus get a job to earn and save money. Its quite a switch to do art. Be sure to look at different types of art courses and consider what you might do after.

Perhaps go to college to build a portfolio.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
The safe way imo is to get the best grades you can, which will give you options and make your parents happy. Take the year out and research what you want to do plus get a job to earn and save money. Its quite a switch to do art. Be sure to look at different types of art courses and consider what you might do after.

Perhaps go to college to build a portfolio.

Thank you so much!! This sounds like a good plan! You've really helped me :biggrin:
Hi @abbiemca_ - as you can tell, there's lots of people here who are happy to help you. If you are already producing work in your own time, it might not be as daunting as starting over again. If you're unsure at the types of disciplines to consider within art, design, architecture or media courses, then a Foundation Diploma is a great place to start. It's a diagnostic course so you'll experiment with a range of disciplines, such as fine art, photography, textile design and interactive media, as well as build a portfolio of work. If you already know what it is that you'd like to study, there are some courses which are four year degrees which include a Year 0. It's designed to support students who would benefit from the additional year to build their portfolio or confidence but already know which discipline they want to pursue.

As others have said above, take some time to really work out what you have a passion for. Universities and colleges are looking for people with a real drive for the subject and you'll have a much better time if you study something you are interested in.

Good luck and stay in touch if you have any other questions!
Lou
Hello,

Thank you.

Don't worry about it! It's a fairly common thing. My advice to you is to continue with your exams and then - after accepting you place at university for Chemistry - defer it for a year. Remember, defer after, only after accepting your place definitively.

You may find that you just need a break from studying and your interest for chemistry will return. You may also find that you really do want to change direction. Or, that you want to change direction but not through changing university course.

In a year-out, you could: take more A Levels, work, travel, develop your interests (such as taking art classes, visiting art museums, other things your into). You might find it a really helpful step. Best of luck in your exams! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Norwich University Of The Arts
Hi @abbiemca_ - as you can tell, there's lots of people here who are happy to help you. If you are already producing work in your own time, it might not be as daunting as starting over again. If you're unsure at the types of disciplines to consider within art, design, architecture or media courses, then a Foundation Diploma is a great place to start. It's a diagnostic course so you'll experiment with a range of disciplines, such as fine art, photography, textile design and interactive media, as well as build a portfolio of work. If you already know what it is that you'd like to study, there are some courses which are four year degrees which include a Year 0. It's designed to support students who would benefit from the additional year to build their portfolio or confidence but already know which discipline they want to pursue.

As others have said above, take some time to really work out what you have a passion for. Universities and colleges are looking for people with a real drive for the subject and you'll have a much better time if you study something you are interested in.

Good luck and stay in touch if you have any other questions!
Lou

Although this may sound tempting, I think you would be better off developing you interest in art without committing a lot of money to it straight away. You can take an Art A Level for much less and starting on such a foundation course could effect you student finance in future years during your undergraduate degree. I sincerely don't think it would be your best option right now! I wouldn't buy it :wink:
Hi @Des_Lumières - you share some useful and sensible guidance about taking some time out and getting more involved and naturally developing a sense of what @abbiemca_ really enjoys. We're not trying to sell anything; like you, just trying to help :smile:

A Foundation Diploma shouldn't cost you anything if you are 18 as this counts a further education course. Advisers based at colleges and other providers should be able to advise better. As I mentioned in my previous post, lots of people are happy to help and provide a range of areas of expertise. I do agree with you @Des_Lumières - go and explore art, design and media - as well as chemistry and other disciplines - to see what really excites you as a subject.

All the best of luck,
Lou

Quick Reply