The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techfan42
I'm currently looking at universities for applications in October, and wanted to ask any practicing muslims who have experienced university, how they cope with the lifestyle of drinking, parties, etc without getting influenced or pressured?

Muslim societies seem to thrive a lot on campuses reaching out to convert people and force their culture on others so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Original post by Adzkii786
One of my friends had told me this, and it gets you thinking:
There is no explicit reference that says Alcohol is Haram, its been "haram" because Scholar quranic interpreations have said so. Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. - but so is tobacco, and so many muslim men don't see tobacco as haram when it causes lung cancer. And alcohol may be an intoxicant but it isn't mentioned here and it doesn't say its haram but discouraged.

Tobacco is makruh not haraam. Sorry but you ain't gonna get your way through fooling others to drink. And it is haraam. Also your friend isn't a scholar, so his opinion holds no value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jazzy Foot
Muslim societies seem to thrive a lot on campuses reaching out to convert people and force their culture on others so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm sure that is not what the Islamic Societies aim to do. But do carry on spouting false info around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leukocyte
I'm sure that is not what the Islamic Societies aim to do. But do carry on spouting false info around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you say so.
Original post by techfan42
I'm currently looking at universities for applications in October, and wanted to ask any practicing muslims who have experienced university, how they cope with the lifestyle of drinking, parties, etc without getting influenced or pressured?

Will you be living at uni or commuting from home?

The main thing is to stand your ground, no doubt people will ask you to go to out but you can always politely decline any offers to go out drinking. Also, there'll be plenty of events held by your SU that don't revolve around drinking where'll you'll be able to make friends.

I didn't attend any events during freshers week and I've still enjoyed my time at uni. I have a group of friends from different religions and some who are agnostic and some of them do go out drinking and clubbing. But that's not a problem for me because when we go out we go to the cinema/out to eat. No one has said anything bad to me about my religious views at all.
Reply 65
Original post by Princepieman
This haram labeling is getting silly now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you may think it's silly, but as Muslims we have the responsibility to tell other fellow Muslims what's haram and what's halal :smile:
Original post by HAnwar
Well you may think it's silly, but as Muslims we have the responsibility to tell other fellow Muslims what's haram and what's halal :smile:

How in the world do you think it's ok to deprive people of Music? Are you serious..
Reply 67
How in the world do you think it's ok to deprive people of Music? Are you serious..

Islam forbids a lot of things. We have to make sacrifices in this world for the next.

That guy is an example of a fundamentalist. In fact, by his logic he shouldn't even be on the internet as it exposes him to many other "haram" things on top of music. Of course he'll simply justify it with a deluded and misconstrued reason that he thinks is logical. That said of course, they're still a Muslim - there's no set criteria that you need to meet in order to be considered a Muslim, but think about it this way, Islam and the other religions (particularly the Abrahamic ones, Christianity, Judaism) all provide a way of life, a way of living as a "good" human being. How does not listening to music make you a better human being? What kind of religion would reward someone who just starves themselves from any form of stimulus, more than someone who has helped other people and done plenty of what can be considered good deeds but also happens to listen to music and talk to the opposite gender.

Original post by HAnwar

Also don't waste your time on this guy ^. I'm Muslim myself and if he walked over to me and started telling me to stop listening to my music on my phone, I would tell them to piss off. Of course they wouldn't do that, they're only brave enough to preach on the internet. :rolleyes:
Reply 69
Original post by High Stakes
That guy is an example of a fundamentalist. In fact, by his logic he shouldn't even be on the internet as it exposes him to many other "haram" things on top of music. Of course he'll simply justify it with a deluded and misconstrued reason that he thinks is logical. That said of course, they're still a Muslim - there's no set criteria that you need to meet in order to be considered a Muslim, but think about it this way, Islam and the other religions (particularly the Abrahamic ones, Christianity, Judaism) all provide a way of life, a way of living as a "good" human being. How does not listening to music make you a better human being? What kind of religion would reward someone who just starves themselves from any form of stimulus, more than someone who has helped other people and done plenty of what can be considered good deeds but also happens to listen to music and talk to the opposite gender.

Also don't waste your time on this guy ^. I'm Muslim myself and if he walked over to me and started telling me to stop listening to my music on my phone, I would tell them to piss off. Of course they wouldn't do that, they're only brave enough to preach on the internet. :rolleyes:

Would you say the same thing to the Prophet (SAW) if he told you to stop?
Actually I've told friends that music is haram and it's best they don't listen to it.
Looks like someone needs to educate themselves on their religion a bit more :smile:
Original post by HAnwar
X

Do you go to school? Do you have female teachers or classmates?
Original post by HAnwar
Would you say the same thing to the Prophet (SAW) if he told you to stop?
Actually I've told friends that music is haram and it's best they don't listen to it.
Looks like someone needs to educate themselves on their religion a bit more :smile:

Looks like you need to embrace life a bit more. If you're so concerned about leading the *ultimate* haram lifestyle, why don't you get rid of your internet connection, stop shopping in supermarkets and go live in isolation from everything? It's incredulous to think Music can be brandished as 'haram'..
Do you go to school? Do you have female teachers or classmates?

Your attitude is disgusting. Calling out other Muslims like that. Why can't you accept the fact that these are the laws of your religion? Does it make you look superior if you go by your own rules?
Original post by Leukocyte
Your attitude is disgusting. Calling out other Muslims like that. Why can't you accept the fact that these are the laws of your religion? Does it make you look superior if you go by your own rules?

No I'm showing you to be a hypocrite you imbecile. How dare you preach what you don't practise. Wouldn't you agree that makes you the worst kind of Muslim, Leukocyte? That would make you a Munafiq Leukocyte. Do you know what that means?
x

Yeah, as an ex-christian I'm well tuned to the idea that religion is mostly about faith. If you're having to tick all these boxes and having to stay away from *everything* because it's "haram" then you're probably insecure in your faith and are relying on external confirmation that you are leading a 'holy' life.

People like the guy spewing rubbish, seem to think that religion is a cookie cutter recipe to get towards 'freedom'/'true holiness', when ultimately it's more about your own personal connection with a deity. He needs to lose this backwards attitude fast.
Reply 75
Looks like you need to embrace life a bit more. If you're so concerned about leading the *ultimate* haram lifestyle, why don't you get rid of your internet connection, stop shopping in supermarkets and go live in isolation from everything? It's incredulous to think Music can be brandished as 'haram'..

You just sound like a troll.

I'm very happy with my life atm thank you.

What's your problem getting so worked up about how I choose to live my life?

Yes I have a responsibility to tell others if something is haram, whether they listen or not is their choice.

This is great coming from a member of the support team. Great job TSR :yy:
Original post by NutellaLuv
One of my closest friends is Muslim, she looooves Uni and she's having a great time. She stays away from all the Haraam stuff and her friends (who aren't Muslim) are great. Just find a group of people that doesn't drink, you're bound to find one

Depending on where you go to uni, it's very difficult to find other people who don't drink, unless they're also Muslim. There are very very few societies nowadays which run non-alcohol socials, and even the ones that do are just full of people sneaking in alcohol anyway. No one cares about catering to people who don't drink, cos everyone else judges us for being boring and hence no one makes an effort to run non-alcohol events because they won't be "popular" enough.

Original post by The.Joker
Will you be living at uni or commuting from home?

The main thing is to stand your ground, no doubt people will ask you to go to out but you can always politely decline any offers to go out drinking. Also, there'll be plenty of events held by your SU that don't revolve around drinking where'll you'll be able to make friends.

I didn't attend any events during freshers week and I've still enjoyed my time at uni. I have a group of friends from different religions and some who are agnostic and some of them do go out drinking and clubbing. But that's not a problem for me because when we go out we go to the cinema/out to eat. No one has said anything bad to me about my religious views at all.

The way I see it, other people will consider you much less of a friend than you do them, just because you don't drink. Like I mentioned on a previous page, people NEED alcohol to cement their friendships, so when you don't drink your friendships can end up being very one-sided. All it takes is for you to have a bad experience, and watch how no one remembers that you exist because they never saw you on nights out. People are shallow and cruel - their lives are ruled by alcohol and anyone who thinks differently about it is sidelined.

My thoughts exactly.

Round of applause for this. I agree with every word, particularly those highlighted in bold. We're in the 21st century, people should not be judging others based on some arbitrary definition of what Muslims should or should not do. There are more important things than whether or not we listen to music. Friends, family, career and enjoyment. I should hope that a decent, rational person would consider me a better Muslim because of having my own independence/relationships, helping people and giving to charity rather than judging me because I don't agree that music is haram.
No I'm showing you to be a hypocrite you imbecile. How dare you preach what you don't practise. Wouldn't you agree that makes you the worst kind of Muslim, Leukocyte? That would make you a Munafiq Leukocyte. Do you know what that means?

I ain't a hypocrite and neither did I say I am some perfect Muslim to practise everything. It was hard to stop music a few months ago but I let it go finally, alhamdulillah.

You're the stupid one here bc I haven't preached to anyone about music. Let's stick to English bc we shouldn't be talking in Arabic either, right?
Original post by HAnwar
I'm very happy with my life atm thank you.

What's your problem getting so worked up about how I choose to live my life?

Yes I have a responsibility to tell others if something is haram, whether they listen or not is their choice.

This is great coming from a member of the support team. Great job TSR :yy:

Being support isn't going to stop me voicing an opinion on something I find ridiculous. Especially if that something is music, a pretty massive aspect of my life.

I'm getting worked up because you don't seem to find an issue in pointing out something as comforting, empowering and uplifting as music to be 'forbidden'. We're in 2016 for goodness sake.
Original post by asif007
The way I see it, other people will consider you much less of a friend than you do them, just because you don't drink. Like I mentioned on a previous page, people NEED alcohol to cement their friendships, so when you don't drink your friendships can end up being very one-sided. All it takes is for you to have a bad experience, and watch how no one remembers that you exist because they never saw you on nights out. People are shallow and cruel - their lives are ruled by alcohol and anyone who thinks differently about it is sidelined.

No people don't need alcohol to cement a friendship. Believe it or not but you can make life long friends without drinking, alcohol is haram and I don't want to be anywhere near it. Also, I don't care how other people perceive me, I'm not interested in having friends who are shallow enough to ignore me because I don't drink alcohol. If someone doesn't want to be my friend due to me not drinking then that's fine. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who lives to get hammered either.

Latest

Trending

Trending