The Student Room Group

Should cannabis be legalised recreationally in the UK?

Hi Everyone!

I am currently in my second year of studying health and social care level 3, and as part of my course I have to complete a unit about research methodology. I am currently conducting a research project to analyse the benefits and drawbacks of legalising cannabis recreationally in the UK, and to collect data about young peoples views on cannabis legalisation. To help me conduct my primary research, I have created a very quick 8 question survey, which I would very much appreciate if you quickly filled out. Here is the link to that: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XLRB7PY
In addition to that, if you could possibly comment below your own opinion on cannabis legalisation in more detail and any other thoughts you have on the topic, that would be brilliant. Please also feel free to include any details about how you think cannabis legalisation will affect the provision of health and social care services, if you have any thoughts about that.

Thank you very much for your help in advance,
Amy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

We know that it's significantly less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. We also know that it's less addictive. We know that drug criminalisation costs millions to enforce, and prevents good, functioning people from contributing to society. We know that banning the sale of cannabis just makes people buy it from illegal dealers, causing significant health risks in an otherwise safe product. And we know that making drugs illegal doesn't actually stop anyone from using them.

There really isn't any reason not to legalise cannabis except blatant denial of facts.
Reply 2
In my humble opinion NO
Original post by M14B
In my humble opinion NO

Do you think possession of alcohol should be criminalised?
Original post by Amy Davidson
Please also feel free to include any details about how you think cannabis legalisation will affect the provision of health and social care services, if you have any thoughts about that.

Kind of an interesting question, which is a change in these threads. Just from reading around, it seems like one of the big benefits of legalisation in places like Washington and Colorado is that consumption methods other than smoking are more practical. When you're just buying in bags off the street you have very few options other than rolling something up into a joint and smoking it, which just isn't a good way to consume anything. In dispensaries you can buy edibles and oils which just aren't available here.

In this country most people's best option for safe cannabis use is spending £100+ on a herbal vapourizer. It's hard to imagine this study - for example - would have been done if every country were as hardline on drugs as we are http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4718604/
Reply 5
Original post by JordanL_
Do you think possession of alcohol should be criminalised?

Yeah, and tobacco too
Reply 6
Original post by M14B
Yeah, and tobacco too

Yup. Caffeine too.
Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Yup. Caffeine too.

In tablet form, yeah
Original post by M14B
In tablet form, yeah

Genuine question - do you believe that dangerous sports should be banned?
Reply 9
Original post by JordanL_
Genuine question - do you believe that dangerous sports should be banned?

Boxing most definitely.
It is a disgrace imo
Original post by M14B
In tablet form, yeah

Possession of tea containing caffeine should be criminalised, yeah.
I cannot promote the use of illegal substances as per the rules of this site.
yes it should be. The problem is cannabis is easily accessible to people who want it in the UK but the cannabis that gets into the UK is often more potent and more harmful. Once we legalise cannabis, not only would we save a lot of money and generate money from taxation, it would also mean the type of cannabis that is sold and distributed is safer than the skunk that is available in the streets.

Look at prohibition in the 1920s, people still wanted alcohol so they drank very strong 120% whiskey that would basically kill them because it is unregulated.
Original post by M14B
Boxing most definitely.
It is a disgrace imo

Fair enough. I disagree with you (although I think boxing is barbaric) but I appreciate that you're consistent in your views, unlike a lot of people who would call for cannabis users to be thrown in jail and then they'd go out and smoke and drink dangerous quantities of alcohol.
It's ridiculous not to if cigs and alcohol are legal
Just regulate them, what is the gov't afraid of? Getting all their cues from US obviously
Original post by 0to100
It's ridiculous not to if cigs and alcohol are legal
Just regulate them, what is the gov't afraid of? Getting all their cues from US obviously

More like they're getting their cues from their friends in the tobacco and alcohol industries.
I think there's no legitimate reason to not legalize it if cigarettes and alcohol are.

But just to point out, the effects of cannabis on the nervous system act faster than alcohol right? More accidents on the road?
Original post by champ_mc99
I think there's no legitimate reason to not legalize it if cigarettes and alcohol are.

But just to point out, the effects of cannabis on the nervous system act faster than alcohol right? More accidents on the road?

Even if cigarettes and alcohol were illegal, I still don't think there'd be any reason not to legalise it. Criminalising drug use simply doesn't stop people from using drugs. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

As for road accidents, I doubt it. I think a big thing with drink driving is the lack of inhibition. Most people wouldn't dream of getting into a car drunk, until they're actually drunk, and then they do stupid ****. Cannabis doesn't lead to that lack of inhibition.
Of course.

A huge overlooked problem at the moment is that unless I get my whisk and apron out I have to smoke cannabis which is much more harmful than eating it, even if it's a joint. My only other option is vaping which is a) currently expensive and b) difficult to obtain. Legalising cannabis would open a whole host of new and less harmful ways to obtain and use it. My co-worker recently used the argument against cannabis that it's harmful because you have to use tobacco, which is a flawed argument but highlights my point.

Cannabis also has medical properties, it can stimulate creative and focused thinking, as well as appreciation of art and beauty, it doesn't cause aggression like alcohol, it has a positive high unlike tobacco which does nothing at all but relieve an addiction, it helps insomnia, it has no hangover, etc., etc.

Like with all drugs it must be moderated but its criminalised status is a running joke in the UK and needs to be changed. I recommend all people against legalisation to read Carl Sagan's seminal essay:

http://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/
Original post by Amy Davidson
Hi Everyone!

I am currently in my second year of studying health and social care level 3, and as part of my course I have to complete a unit about research methodology. I am currently conducting a research project to analyse the benefits and drawbacks of legalising cannabis recreationally in the UK, and to collect data about young peoples views on cannabis legalisation. To help me conduct my primary research, I have created a very quick 8 question survey, which I would very much appreciate if you quickly filled out. Here is the link to that: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XLRB7PY
In addition to that, if you could possibly comment below your own opinion on cannabis legalisation in more detail and any other thoughts you have on the topic, that would be brilliant. Please also feel free to include any details about how you think cannabis legalisation will affect the provision of health and social care services, if you have any thoughts about that.

Thank you very much for your help in advance,
Amy :smile:

i would say yes as i have suffered from severe back pain and have used it as a relief in the past along with other painkillers and alcohol before someone tipped me off about damania and well it's similar but cheaper and legal but back to the point i would support it if it did happen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending