The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Bit of a weird one since it was only for a couple of minutes and before Benteke was injured, he was frozen out by Klopp in favour of Sturridge and Origi.

I get that he wanted to give Sturridge a rest so I wasn't too bothered him not starting the game but surely he could of atleast played him for the last 15-20 minutes?
Original post by samir12
I get that he wanted to give Sturridge a rest so I wasn't too bothered him not starting the game but surely he could of atleast played him for the last 15-20 minutes?

A rest so he can play ****ing Swansea where we can't achieve anything in the league other than finish in an EL spot - which probably won't happen because he'll play youngsters for the rest of the team so that everyone else is fresh for next Thursday.

If Sturridge needed a rest, why did he play 90 minutes against Newcastle?
A rest so he can play ****ing Swansea where we can't achieve anything in the league other than finish in an EL spot - which probably won't happen because he'll play youngsters for the rest of the team so that everyone else is fresh for next Thursday.

If Sturridge needed a rest, why did he play 90 minutes against Newcastle?

Well Sturridge was our only fit striker against Newcastle so he had to play, once Newcastle equalised, we couldn't have really taken him off. Origi getting injured really didn't help us at all..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Well Sturridge was our only fit striker against Newcastle so he had to play, once Newcastle equalised, we couldn't have really taken him off.

Could've just played with Firmino up top like we did tonight and have done for other games this season.
I hope we can win well against Swansea this weekend, building up a bit of form would be nice before the 2nd leg.
Reply 7005
Is coutinho injured?
Original post by xKay
Is coutinho injured?

No, he came off because he wasn't feeling well.
Could've just played with Firmino up top like we did tonight and have done for other games this season.

Really only works well if teams push up against us like City do, against teams like Newcastle it doesn't. In today's case, Klopp was more concerned about not conceding than getting a goal which is why he wanted an extra man in midfield but we paid the price for it in the end.

Ah well, just have to hope we score without conceding on the counter next week, a one goal deficit isn't the end of the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The.Joker
I hope we can win well against Swansea this weekend, building up a bit of form would be nice before the 2nd leg.

I'd imagine everyone who played tonight will be rested for the Swansea game.
Original post by samir12
Really only works well if teams push up against us like City do, against teams like Newcastle it doesn't. In today's case, Klopp was more concerned about not conceding than getting a goal which is why he wanted an extra man in midfield.

Ah well, just have to hope we score without conceding on the counter next week, a one goal deficit isn't the end of the world.

Villarreal didn't push up tonight so what was the logic? Yea I agreed with the 3 across the middle and they did well but our front 3 were shocking.

You know they will score on the counter against us. They have some good pace and runners whereas we'll be playing a 35 year old Kolo against that. Can't see us scoring 3 against Villarreal who will sit deep and frustrate and then have 2-4 players break on the counter every time.
Villarreal didn't push up tonight so what was the logic? Yea I agreed with the 3 across the middle and they did well but our front 3 were shocking.

You know they will score on the counter against us. They have some good pace and runners whereas we'll be playing a 35 year old Kolo against that. Can't see us scoring 3 against Villarreal who will sit deep and frustrate and then have 2-4 players break on the counter every time.

Like I said, Klopp wanted an extra man in midfield so Firmino drops deep and helps out. Sturridge doesn't give you the work rate and pressing Firmino does. The problem with that was we were usually short upfront because Firmino was so deep so our attack suffered combined with Villareal being an organised side, our attack was just ineffective. Plus Firmino isn't like Origi who can hold the ball up well and bring others into play, Klopp really got it wrong today.

Yh I'm not too confident really, even a 0-0 scoreline would have still been dangerous as we would have gone out and attacked at Anfield anyway, Villareal won't be as leaky as Dortmund. Was really hoping we would have nicked an away goal, we badly missed Origi..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7011
Original post by The.Joker
No, he came off because he wasn't feeling well.

Didnt watch the match, dont know if sarcastic or...
Original post by xKay

He really wasn't feeling well so Klopp took him off lol.
Original post by xKay

I was being serious. :lol:
He came off at half time since he felt ill.
Original post by samir12
Like I said, Klopp wanted an extra man in midfield so Firmino drops deep and helps out. Sturridge doesn't give you the work rate and pressing Firmino does. The problem with that was we were usually one man short upfront because Firmino was so deep so our attack suffered combined with Villareal being an organised side, our attack was just ineffective.

Yh I'm not too confident really, even a 0-0 scoreline would have still been dangerous as we would have gone out and attacked at Anfield anyway, Villareal won't be as leaky as Dortmund. Was really hoping we would have nicked an away goal, we badly missed Origi..

The criticism leveled at Sturridge lately is that he's been dropping deep. Yea fine he won't give the same level of pressing or work rate but at least he'd offer a better attacking threat.

We just missed having an actual striker on the pitch. Villarreal were sat too deep for Origi's pace and running down channels to be of much use.
The criticism leveled at Sturridge lately is that he's been dropping deep. Yea fine he won't give the same level of pressing or work rate but at least he'd offer a better attacking threat.

We just missed having an actual striker on the pitch.

Again, my theory is that Klopp was concerned more about not conceding so he wanted the work rate and pressing in midfield.

Our problems were more than a lack of striker tbh, we usually struggle against organised teams like Villareal and that's down to lack of quality in the wide areas (our balls and crosses into the box were shocking to be frank) and a CM who can put in a quality pass forward, Sturridge just papers over those cracks really. It's the reason why we are 7th in the PL but that's for Klopp to address in the summer.
(edited 7 years ago)
That sucker punch changes things: if Villarreal get one at Anfield, we need three.

Now, we know we can score three. We did it against Dortmund, who are an infinitely better side. But Villarreal will come and they will frustrate, they will dig in, and they now have something to protect.

They are also a much better side going forward than many give them credit for. They had chances tonight, and I thought Bruno was excellent in the centre of the park - head and shoulders above anybody else in yellow.

I felt our midfield three had tremendous games. Milner was his usual experienced and industrious self, Lucas seamlessly came into the midfield like a top professional and a role model for the younger players, and Allen's deployment allowed us to get further up the pitch than we would have without him.

Regardless, Allen should score - we should have taken at least one goal back to Anfield with us - and the tie should look more pleasing than it currently does.

We didn't really force the issue, and that's the most galling thing. We seemed happy for a goalless draw, and that's fine when you're a Benitez side at the Bernabeu or Stamford Bridge in 2005, but we should have forced the issue tonight and we didn't.

That said, we also need better game management. We were caught too high up the pitch towards the end of the game. There's literally 90 seconds left, and we've given them a freebie.

There are plenty of positives to take out of tonight - the game is not dead, Moreno looks a different player to a month ago, Kolo Toure and Lovren had a calm and assured night which bodes well for Sakho's absence, and Mignolet was on form.

But Coutinho looked a shadow of the player we've come to expect, and I don't know if Klopp made the right team selection. Sturridge should have started -
mainly because he's our main (and only) goal threat. I get why Firmino was deployed, but with Coutinho off colour (I'm willing to attribute his disappointing display to illness) and Lallana ineffective, we needed somebody who wasn't blunt in the attacking third - and that, for me, is Daniel Sturridge.

Edit: Oh, and I wouldn't have brought on Ibe.
Reply 7017
Maybe the point of using Benteke was because Klopp was happy with a draw and wanted some hold up play.
Reply 7018
Disappointed that we played for a 0-0. It's a dodgy enough tactic when we have sakho-lovren but especialy with sakho out we were asking for a result like that. Away goals are important in this competition and we missed that opportunity. If they score in the second leg, we're going to have to do a dortmund all over again.

Sturridge absolutely must start next week, so no more than 60 minutes for him at the weekend plz. The newcastle result extinguished any faint hope of getting top 4, so **** the league now.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Maybe the point of using Benteke was because Klopp was happy with a draw and wanted some hold up play.

That was definitely the point. No question. Klopp's said he felt Benteke could help us with some defensive aspects of the game.

The more baffling substitution - for me, anyway - was Ibe initially at half-time. And then not to introduce Sturridge was baffling.

To score, you need goalscorers. And somebody can say "well, you would have been happy with a 0-0" but it wasn't looking like that sort of game at 60. There were chances there for us - chances to score - and we should have forced the issue.

Latest