The Student Room Group

Further Maths AQA GCSE exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NiamhM1801
Neither...its come up in multiple past papers that I've done. It's basically Pythagoras and trig in 3 dimensions, so it might be under that in the spec?

Oh I see. I thought you meant intersection between say the line
x23=y+5=z12 \displaystyle \frac{x-2}{3} = y+5=\frac{z-1}{2} and the plane

x2y+z=2 \displaystyle x-2y+z=2 .
I know what you're talking about now. :wink:
Original post by B_9710
You said factorise x425y2 \displaystyle x^{-4}-25y^2 . Expand yours out and see what it comes out as. You posted in the question a power of x^-2.
Unless that was a mistake in your question?

Ah, I've just realised it is indeed an error in my question. The power of is supposed to be positive. Sorry about that.
Reply 22
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Ah, I've just realised it is indeed an error in my question. The power of is supposed to be positive. Sorry about that.

The answer you posted is correct then.
Original post by zara_ruby
Just though I would start a thread about the further maths exams and how everyone is revising.

Thanks for making this thread OP! I moved this into the Maths Exams forum and also put it on the GCSE Exam Directory Thread (which is here) so other students can find it easily :h:
Hello everyone. I have a question.
1/2x2a^2xsin30 = 18.
If I wanted to get rid of the 1/2, I multiply both sides by two. Does this mean the new equation is as follows:
2a^2xsin30 = 18.
I wasn't very sure since in the first equation, not everything is being halved. Thanks in advance.
1/2x2a^2xsin30 = 18.
If I wanted to get rid of the 1/2, I multiply both sides by two. Does this mean the new equation is as follows:
2a^2xsin30 = 18.
I wasn't very sure since in the first equation, not everything is being halved. Thanks in advance.

No, as you haven't multiplied the rhs by 2. It should be (I think):
2a²×sin30 = 36
1/2x2a^2xsin30 = 18.
2a^2xsin30 = 18.

Assuming it's 2(a^2) and not (2a)^2 the easiest way is just to go straight to a^2 sin30=18
Reply 27
1/2x2a^2xsin30 = 18.
2a^2xsin30 = 18.

Is the question
12×2a2sin30=18? \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\times 2a^2 \sin 30^{\circ} = 18 ?

If so the 1/2 and the 2 on the left hand side of the equation cancel right away.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
Is the question
12×2a2sin30=18? \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\times 2a^2 \sin 30^{\circ} = 18 ?

If so the 1/2 and the 2 on the left hand side of the equation cancel right away.

Ah, I see. Thanks very much. Since I post quite a few maths questions, may I just ask how I can post the proper...equation so it looks like yours do. It's much less confusing.
Ah, I see. Thanks very much. Since I post quite a few maths questions, may I just ask how I can post the proper...equation so it looks like yours do. It's much less confusing.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex
No, as you haven't multiplied the rhs by 2. It should be (I think):
2a²×sin30 = 36

Oh yes, I just realised. Thanks for your help Niamh.
Thanks very much.

No problem, just to warn you it isn't the most intuitive thing to use
Oh yes, I just realised. Thanks for your help Niamh.

No problem, although the other persons method of just cancelling the ½ and the 2 is easier (I didn't see it at first)
Reply 34
Hi, I need help on a particularly awkward question.
The question is :

Simplify fully the expression

3x3x2×9x2 \displaystyle \frac{3x^3}{x^2} \times \sqrt{\frac{9}{x^2}} .
I get an answer but it's just cant be right.
Could someone quickly just post an answer so I can see if I'm right?
Thank you!
Original post by Ano123
Hi, I need help on a particularly awkward question.
The question is :

Simplify fully the expression

3x3x2×9x2 \displaystyle \frac{3x^3}{x^2} \times \sqrt{\frac{9}{x^2}} .
I get an answer but it's just cant be right.
Could someone quickly just post an answer so I can see if I'm right?
Thank you!

I got 9*
Reply 36
I got 9*

So you're saying for any x value, the expression will always be equal to 9. That's interesting.
Try x=-1 into the original expression and see what answer you get. Post the answer you get when x=-1.
Original post by Ano123
So you're saying for any x value, the expression will always be equal to 9. That's interesting.
Try x=-1 into the original expression and see what answer you get. Post the answer you get when x=-1.

Ah, now I think you should have 2 solutions? 9 and -9? As √9 has 2 answers?
Reply 38
Ah, now I think you should have 2 solutions? 9 and -9? As √9 has 2 answers?

Not quite. 9=3 \sqrt 9 = 3 .
93 \sqrt 9 \neq -3 .
What's actually happening here is you made a mistake when square rooting x^2 . If you put any negative number as x into the expression, say -1 you get (1)2=1=1 \sqrt {(-1)^2} = \sqrt 1 = 1 . So as you can see if x is a negative number then it returns a positive number.
So actually x2=x \sqrt {x^2} = | x | .
The vertical lines mean the absolute value. Meaning we just take the magnitude of the number. So |-2| = 2.
|-100|=100 etc.
Original post by Ano123
Not quite. 9=3 \sqrt 9 = 3 .
93 \sqrt 9 \neq -3 .
What's actually happening here is you made a mistake when square rooting
x^2 . If you put any negative number as x into the expression, say -1 you get (1)2=1=1 \sqrt {(-1)^2} = \sqrt 1 = 1 . So as you can see if x is a negative number then it returns a positive number.
So actually x2=x \sqrt {x^2} = | x | .
The vertical lines mean the absolute value. Meaning we just take the magnitude of the number. So |-2| = 2.
|-100|=100 etc.

Woah there's no way this could be in further maths right? And I thought that √9 could be 3 or -3? As (-3)² is 9?
What did you get as your answer then? This has really confused me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending