The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Is Loughnorough the right uni for me?

I'm considering loughborough for my firm choice, however I don't play any sport and I have no interest in engineering. Will I feel out of place and as it is a town will I get bored?
Original post by help_lol
I'm considering loughborough for my firm choice, however I don't play any sport and I have no interest in engineering. Will I feel out of place and as it is a town will I get bored?

Hi help_lol

Great to hear that you're thinking of firming Loughborough :smile:

While the University undoubtedly has a great reputation for sport and engineering, as an Arts graduate myself (who is by no means an elite athlete!) I've never found this to be a problem at all. There are loads of other opportunities available on campus with over 100 student societies to try out so you're bound to find something that you enjoy - and plenty of like-minded people along the way!

Coming from a big city myself, I've found that being in a smaller town means that Loughborough has a real 'studenty' vibe about it. There are student nights on at different places throughout the week and plenty of reasonably priced places to eat out, etc. If you're wanting to head further afield then Nottingham, Leicester and Derby are all within 30 minutes door-to-door by train and a return ticket is less than £10 or you can be in London in less than 1.5 hours by direct train.

Hope this helps - happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Teresa
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi help_lol

Great to hear that you're thinking of firming Loughborough :smile:

While the University undoubtedly has a great reputation for sport and engineering, as an Arts graduate myself (who is by no means an elite athlete!) I've never found this to be a problem at all. There are loads of other opportunities available on campus with over 100 student societies to try out so you're bound to find something that you enjoy - and plenty of like-minded people along the way!

Coming from a big city myself, I've found that being in a smaller town means that Loughborough has a real 'studenty' vibe about it. There are student nights on at different places throughout the week and plenty of reasonably priced places to eat out, etc. If you're wanting to head further afield then Nottingham, Leicester and Derby are all within 30 minutes door-to-door by train and a return ticket is less than £10 or you can be in London in less than 1.5 hours by direct train.

Hope this helps - happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Teresa

Thank you for your help! I have officially made it my firm choice!! What would you recommend, catered or self-catered halls? I think I'm thinking of catered at the moment?
Original post by help_lol
Thank you for your help! I have officially made it my firm choice!! What would you recommend, catered or self-catered halls? I think I'm thinking of catered at the moment?

Wahoo, really glad to hear it! :smile:

Obviously it's entirely down to personal preference but I stayed in catered halls and was really glad I did. Mealtimes are great for meeting and getting to know other people in your hall, especially in the first few weeks. Plus catered halls still have basic kitchen facilities so you can always rustle up something for yourself if you need to!

We look forward to welcoming you in September. If you have any other questions in the meantime, just shout! :smile:

Teresa
Reply 4
Original post by Loughborough University
Wahoo, really glad to hear it! :smile:

Obviously it's entirely down to personal preference but I stayed in catered halls and was really glad I did. Mealtimes are great for meeting and getting to know other people in your hall, especially in the first few weeks. Plus catered halls still have basic kitchen facilities so you can always rustle up something for yourself if you need to!

We look forward to welcoming you in September. If you have any other questions in the meantime, just shout! :smile:

Teresa

yeah that's what I was thinking! perfect thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending