The Student Room Group

40% teenagers don't pass English or Maths

Poll

Is this a national problem?

What are your opinions that teenagers do not get a C or above in english or maths?

We are mostly talking about native english speakers as well not being able to pass english above a level C.

I find this odd because international students who come here for university often speak less english than native speakers and are classed as a higher level at speaking / writing english.

Is this fair? and should Britain step up their game and make these 40% of teenagers pass their basic skills?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36130539/how-clever-you-have-to-be-to-work-in-a-nursery-with-gcse-maths-and-english

Scroll to see replies

Yea but it don't say why do it?

Escuse me: it doesn't say why, does it?
Reply 2
Original post by 0to100
Yea but it don't say why do it?

Escuse me: it doesn't say why, does it?

no it doesn't, I think this is a national problem that needs to be solved.
Original post by Drunq
no it doesn't, I think this is a national problem that needs to be solved.

Well obviously it is but you can't solve something when you don't know the source of the problem
Reply 4
Original post by 0to100
Well obviously it is but you can't solve something when you don't know the source of the problem

That is a good point. But the most common factor for grades are schools and colleges. And students of course ;D
Original post by Drunq
That is a good point. But the most common factor for grades are schools and colleges. And students of course ;D

Ok...so you're saying that it's an institutional issue like the education system, or that English kids are stupid? lol
Like I really have no idea what it is but I will say many of us speak and spell horribly
It could...could be the once dare I say generous benefits system
I knew people living off hundreds of unearned £ a week so maybe there was a sense of entitlement like not having to work so hard to survive including getting a good education?
Add that to whatever technical issues there is in the education system
Reply 6
Original post by 0to100
Ok...so you're saying that it's an institutional issue like the education system, or that English kids are stupid? lol
Like I really have no idea what it is but I will say many of us speak and spell horribly
It could...could be the once dare I say generous benefits system
I knew people living off hundreds of unearned £ a week so maybe there was a sense of entitlement like not having to work so hard to survive including getting a good education?
Add that to whatever technical issues there is in the education system

Agreed. We as a country give out 'free money'. People on benefits do absolutely nothing to contribute towards to the economy and receive money for staying at home and, this is a 'free' way out for teenagers, they have that pillow to lean on if all goes wrong (just get a baby xD ) to claim those benefits.
Original post by Drunq
Agreed. We as a country give out 'free money'. People on benefits do absolutely nothing to contribute towards to the economy and receive money for staying at home and, this is a 'free' way out for teenagers, they have that pillow to lean on if all goes wrong (just get a baby xD ) to claim those benefits.

Yea all right calm down I don't have an issue with benefits, not affixing blame on just people receiving dole as it helps so many people who do and yes don't need it, in others eyes, but it's also gotta be a systematic issue like grammar schools I'm sure students there probably aren't in this percentile of failing as much as kids who can't get in for socioeconomic reasons
Reply 8
Original post by 0to100
Yea all right calm down I don't have an issue with benefits, not affixing blame on just people receiving dole as it helps so many people who do and yes don't need it, in others eyes, but it's also gotta be a systematic issue like grammar schools I'm sure students there probably aren't in this percentile of failing as much as kids who can't get in for socioeconomic reasons

indeed, benefits do help us to become a better country. But is it setting an example for younger children that they have that pillow to lean on. Again, it could be a range of factors, the way children are raised since birth, this could influence the way you learn and other things. Another example, genetics, if you are disabled, it's a chance you'll fail if it affects your capabilities. Some things are within our hands and not others.
Original post by Drunq
What are your opinions that teenagers do not get a C or above in english or maths?

We are mostly talking about native english speakers as well not being able to pass english above a level C.

I find this odd because international students who come here for university often speak less english than native speakers and are classed as a higher level at speaking / writing english.

Is this fair? and should Britain step up their game and make these 40% of teenagers pass their basic skills?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36130539/how-clever-you-have-to-be-to-work-in-a-nursery-with-gcse-maths-and-english

Lazy parents is the cause not teaching their kids the right way to go about things in life

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not always down to laziness. I got a C in GCSE (despite missing a fair amount of it) Maths because for me, it was quite easy. I also had the advantage of having a decent teacher and having a friend who would teach me (not do my work for me) if I needed any advice.

I've sat GCSE English twice and both times, got a D. At the time, I had undiagnosed learning disabilities. English, for me personally, isn't an interesting subject. And the teacher for year 11 couldn't teach / control the class properly either.
Reply 11
I got an A in english and maths at GCSE, but I can't stand either of them. I ended up choosing maths for a level due to it being the lesser of two evils, I can fully understand why so many teenagers don't pass
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C-rated
I got an A in english and maths at GCSE, but I can't stand either of them. I ended up choosing maths for a level due to it being the lesser of two evil, I can fully understand why so many teenagers don't pass

Shouldn't you be a rated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by paul514
Shouldn't you be a rated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah, I got mostly Cs at GCSE and am track for getting Cs at A level
apart from maths where 'm predicted to get A/B
Original post by C-rated
nah, I got mostly Cs at GCSE and am track for getting Cs at A level
apart from maths where 'm predicted to get A/B

Must do better need ABB to get anywhere decent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drunq

Yeah they should
That means 60% passed it. So we have no problems.:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always find it hilarious when people can't pass English GCSE.
It's SO easy to pass it, how can you not pass a language you speak in everyday?
Original post by paul514
Lazy parents is the cause not teaching their kids the right way to go about things in life

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. I got an A/B in English GCSE, but my brother didn't even get a C, so what have you got to say about that?
Original post by loveleest
I always find it hilarious when people can't pass English GCSE.
It's SO easy to pass it, how can you not pass a language you speak in everyday?

It's not like that
-The attendance factors in and "absenteeism" often correlates to poor performance obviously because you miss stuff
-And most people speak the common language learnt by ear but don't get the grammar side
-Not everyone are good spellers and writers even if they speak a language fluently
-People might not be doing their assignments or studying for assessments like using past papers
-Not everyone is good at tests and they probably shut down when they see those texts they have to read
-Many of the questions involve logic tbh and maybe not everyone is logical even if they can read
-Not everyone's got a good vocabulary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending