The Student Room Group

Urgent GCSE Maths help!!

I'm in year 10 meaning I'll be sitting the new GCSE maths exams next year.I haven't been able to get higher than scraping a C grade.I really want to improve but my maths teacher works part time meaning she's barely around and can hardly help me.There aren't enough resources online and there aren't any past papers yet for the NEW GCSEs and I have mock exams in 5 weeks.There aren't any private tutors nearby either.Can anyone give me any advice on how to improve as I've been struggling with this since September.
Reply 1
Original post by Od.xiv
I'm in year 10 meaning I'll be sitting the new GCSE maths exams next year.I haven't been able to get higher than scraping a C grade.I really want to improve but my maths teacher works part time meaning she's barely around and can hardly help me.There aren't enough resources online and there aren't any past papers yet for the NEW GCSEs and I have mock exams in 5 weeks.There aren't any private tutors nearby either.Can anyone give me any advice on how to improve as I've been struggling with this since September.

You shouldn't be worrying - you've still got a whole year and a C at this stage is not bad.

Practicing the older papers is fine. Most of the topics are still the same.

If your teacher is not around and you need help then post questions on this forum. It may surprise you how well (and quick) the helpers can explain things. Many students have used this forum as a second teacher with very good results.
Original post by Od.xiv

100% agree with Notnek above.
The differences between the old and new GCSE in maths are not huge so any online resources will help boost you up from a C, hegartymaths has a good reputation. There are loads of GCSE maths sites on the Internet.
All of the publishers have produced revision guides and workbooks for the new 9-1 specifications, if you don't see them in your local book shop you will be able to buy them on Amazon.co.uk. Some schools do a bulk purchase and sell them to their students at a discount. Ask you teacher or head of maths. Some schools will resell MathsWatch revision CDs (very good) or use their online version, some subscribe to MyMaths (OK) - if you don't know then ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Check out some online tutoring companies: chegg, schooli and spires tutors are all great

Quick Reply

Latest