The Student Room Group

40% teenagers don't pass English or Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drunq
indeed, benefits do help us to become a better country. But is it setting an example for younger children that they have that pillow to lean on. Again, it could be a range of factors, the way children are raised since birth, this could influence the way you learn and other things. Another example, genetics, if you are disabled, it's a chance you'll fail if it affects your capabilities. Some things are within our hands and not others.

Yea well we're not really discussing disabled, more just the average child who is failing

It's family environment
It's the school system and please please recognise that there is inequality in standard education based on social class
It's the capabilities of the individual but there's something called the Pygmalion theory:
-that students perform better based on self esteem, specifically with support from teachers, mostly regardless of their capabilities. When a kid feels people who are meant to don't believe in them they crawl into that **** it zone. It's the perils of bein a child.
Nah. We need people that fail this stuff so we've got people to do the boring-ass jobs that people with intellectual capability deserve better than.
Original post by Ayaz789
I failed Gcse English a few times but then passed with a B but i do fully understand why people do fail English , its definitely not because of parents

You can strap a kid to a chair and if they don't wanna learn they don't wanna learn. Or maybe they seriously can't. Or they're not being teached properly. Everyone has different learning. Tutoring has shown to be the secret success to high grades. Or maybe work ethic isn't instilled in them, just human psychology will tell you that as a child you become what you keep seeing at home. However as you get older like 14 I think you should begin to frame your own mind and make your own decisions but...some people have poor learning and work and study habits embedded, shrug.
Original post by skunkboy
That means 60% passed it. So we have no problems.:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you dislike a comment on here
Original post by 0to100
You can strap a kid to a chair and if they don't wanna learn they don't wanna learn. Or maybe they seriously can't. Or they're not being teached properly. Everyone has different learning. Tutoring has shown to be the secret success to high grades. Or maybe work ethic isn't instilled in them, just human psychology will tell you that as a child you become what you keep seeing at home. However as you get older like 14 I think you should begin to frame your own mind and make your own decisions but...some people have poor learning and work and study habits embedded, shrug.

Im just saying but like they must at least get 40%, if not then the grade boundaries should be lowered , i admit i struggled myself in only English , i passed all my other Gcses , but the thing is you can't revise for English imo?
Original post by loveleest
I always find it hilarious when people can't pass English GCSE.
It's SO easy to pass it, how can you not pass a language you speak in everyday?

Im sorry but its definitely not hilarious , I have a different opinion & like some people are good at maths and bad at English & vice versa , it just doesnt work like just because you can speak English you can pass English?
Original post by Ayaz789
Im just saying but like they must at least get 40%, if not then the grade boundaries should be lowered , i admit i struggled myself in only English , i passed all my other Gcses , but the thing is you can't revise for English imo?

Yes you can. Tbh read more, learn reading skills, context clues, comprehension; I know people just read and don't connect, they just say the words. Some people kid themselves during tests and actually read the whole excerpt. If you take tutoring they'll tell you "tips" like "read the questions 1st, then find that passage in the whole text, then read that and surrounding sentences. It saves times." Etc. If you don't properly revise you go in like "right wtf is all this..."
Original post by Ayaz789
Im sorry but its definitely not hilarious , I have a different opinion & like some people are good at maths and bad at English & vice versa , it just doesnt work like just because you can speak English you can pass English?

English GCSE is easy as hell and if you fail it then you didn't put any effort into it.
I didn't revise what so ever and I managed to get an A/B, so what is your excuse then?
iv passed english but i just cant figure maths out! im 23 and i still cant recall how to do most things :'(
A big problem is culture, in the Uk it is seen as uncool to do well at school but in many other countries kids are made to work hard and it is seen as cool to study/do well.
English GCSE is easy as hell and if you fail it then you didn't put any effort into it.
I didn't revise what so ever and I managed to get an A/B, so what is your excuse then?

I didnt revise for Maths and got an A at Gcse?
I didnt revise for A level Maths and got an A at AS?
I didnt revise for A level further Maths and got an A at AS?
Its not that , its just that some things people find hard & one of those was English for me!
I always find it hilarious when people can't pass English GCSE.
It's SO easy to pass it, how can you not pass a language you speak in everyday?

You'd be surprised. I think with English it reaches a point where you just cba anymore coz' you're still speaking it either with a U or an A*. I don't remember 99% of the stuff I learnt and doubt I'll ever need it and many students feel the same way.
I really struggle to see how you can fail GCSE Maths, practically all you need to get a C is basic addition and multiplication lol

There are a few topics that you need a bit more info for, but it's generally not too difficult to figure out.

English on the other hand is a bit different, to some extent it depends on the texts given to you in the exam, and some people are just naturally better than others at writing. Still, a C is only 60% so it's not exactly a huge mountain to climb if you put in a little bit of work memorising quotes (in Lit) and doing practise papers.
Original post by Imperion
You'd be surprised. I think with English it reaches a point where you just cba anymore coz' you're still speaking it either with a U or an A*. I don't remember 99% of the stuff I learnt and doubt I'll ever need it and many students feel the same way.

This is exactly what i mean , it doesnt matter if you speak English , because that doesnt mean you can pass English!

Well they shouldn't think about it like that.
Original post by Alexion
Nah. We need people that fail this stuff so we've got people to do the boring-ass jobs that people with intellectual capability deserve better than.

#Alexion4PM

English Lit and Lang were my hardest GCSEs and it's really close minded to spout stuff like "You didn't put any effort into it". People are talented in different ways. You don't find history students spewing physics formulas.

Original post by Ayaz789
This is exactly what i mean , it doesnt matter if you speak English , because that doesnt mean you can pass English!

^ I just find the syllabus has a bunch of crap we won't ever use once you're done with it.

Well they shouldn't think about it like that.

If you can speak and articulate your thoughts then that pretty approves of that statement.
Original post by 0to100
Yes you can. Tbh read more, learn reading skills, context clues, comprehension; I know people just read and don't connect, they just say the words.

To an extent you can learn to maximise your exam score, but, really, if you can't structure and punctuate writing very well six months before the exam, you're not going to be able to do it very well in the exam.

It's less about how much you read at age 15/16 and more about how much you read or were read to at ages 2-14.

Loool exactly
#Alexion4PM

English Lit and Lang were my hardest GCSEs and it's really close minded to spout stuff like "You didn't put any effort into it". People are talented in different ways. You don't find history students spewing physics formulas.

^ I just find the syllabus has a bunch of crap we won't ever use once you're done with it.

If you can speak and articulate your thoughts then that pretty approves of that statement.

Oh I just realised what I wrote sounded a bit ignorant, :/ apologies if I offended x
Original post by TimmonaPortella
To an extent you can learn to maximise your exam score, but, really, if you can't structure and punctuate writing very well six months before the exam, you're not going to be able to do it very well in the exam.

It's less about how much you read at age 15/16 and more about how much you read or were read to at ages 2-14.

So once you turn 15 stop reading? I agree writing skills since a large portion of the exams are essays, which comes from tutoring, I seriously believe, and independent practice, and of course reading more yes at 15 so you advance your comprehension and write like you're not a child. People say to learn how to write "read read read."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending