The Student Room Group

First monthly pay came today but it is the before tax amount

As a graduate, I got my first job recently and I got my first monthly pay today but it seems to be the amount before tax. I thought tax was deducted automatically from your account?

A friend who worked at the company longer said he wasn't surprised and that I 'should get all my tax back as I wouldn't have earned enough in the tax year'

What happens from this point onwards? Do I need to "declare"/do anything? I don't want to get in trouble for anything, I was hoping I could just do my job, get paid, and have no hassle
Tax doesn't come out of your account, it's deducted from your pay - you don't even see it. Have you checked your pay slip? It should be on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 00100101
As a graduate, I got my first job recently and I got my first monthly pay today but it seems to be the amount before tax. I thought tax was deducted automatically from your account?

A friend who worked at the company longer said he wasn't surprised and that I 'should get all my tax back as I wouldn't have earned enough in the tax year'

What happens from this point onwards? Do I need to "declare"/do anything? I don't want to get in trouble for anything, I was hoping I could just do my job, get paid, and have no hassle

I wasn't taxed at first because I started in August and wouldn't earn my full annual salary in that tax year, but then it kicked in after a couple of months and I ended up paying the correct amount of tax for the year.

I didn't need to do anything, just check that your tax code is correct on your payslip.
Reply 3
I had the same strange issue. No tax was deducted for my first 3 months. Then when I got my latest pay slip yesterday, tax was deducted for the first time...
Reply 4
Original post by SerotoninAddict
I wasn't taxed at first because I started in August and wouldn't earn my full annual salary in that tax year, but then it kicked in after a couple of months and I ended up paying the correct amount of tax for the year.

I didn't need to do anything, just check that your tax code is correct on your payslip.

Original post by ahpadt
I had the same strange issue. No tax was deducted for my first 3 months. Then when I got my latest pay slip yesterday, tax was deducted for the first time...

Did you start getting taxed in January or something?

Is it possible to work out when I would be?

Also, how do I check if the tax code is correct?

(I should be able to access my pay slips whenever I want, but with my first one I need to contact a department at work for it. Forgot to do it so I'll have to wait till Monday/Tuesday)

I asked a friend (same job) he said he had 3 different codes last year (all variations of 1060) but this year he's on 1160l. I assume that would be mine too
(edited 7 years ago)
Its probably because you had enough of your tax free allowance left, so they used it up. Check your payslip or ask payroll.

(I should be able to access my pay slips whenever I want, but with my first one I need to contact a department at work for it. Forgot to do it so I'll have to wait till Monday/Tuesday)

I asked a friend (same job) he said he had 3 different codes last year (all variations of 1060) but this year he's on 1160l. I assume that would be mine too

It should be 1080L
Original post by Mega0448
It should be 1080L

No, it should be 1100L. 1160L sounds like the personal allowance for someone who is claiming Uniform tax relief but I've no idea where you've got that code from.
It would be deducted once you earn over around £900 a month automatically, but only the limit once you go over the threshold (i.e. if you got paid £1000, you'd only be taxed 20% of that £100 or so). But if anything is wrong with your tax code, it won't be your fault; it would be the fault of your employer and/or the tax office :smile:
Original post by DarkMagic
No, it should be 1100L. 1160L sounds like the personal allowance for someone who is claiming Uniform tax relief but I've no idea where you've got that code from.

Apologies I am working from a document which has since been withdrawn.

I work for HMRC too... How embarrassing! Just reinforcing stereotypes.

Yeah, I started being taxed in January.

The tax code will be on your payslip, and you can look online to see if it's the right one.

Mine was 1060L, but it's now called 1100L for this tax year.
This is just the standard tax code meaning you are entitled to tax free personal allowance of £11,000 for the year.
Reply 11
Yeah mine said 1060L too when I wasn't taxed but for this first taxed month it says 1100L.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending