The Student Room Group

I've wasted 2 years at uni

So i've suspended my studies/dropped out at the very end of my second year as i wasn't doing well on placement and FINALLY realized this course was too challenging for someone like me. I'm now looking at transferring courses and start as a 2nd year student but it's looking like that's not possible and i will have to be starting again from year 1. How does this affect my student finance tuition fees? i'm living at home so i don't have accommodation costs. I was also eligible for the FULL maintenance grant (the one you don't pay back) due to low household income but they're stopping those now so if i start again from year 1 i'll have to take out more loans to fund my expenses at uni? I will be the only student in the biggest amount of debt you could ever imagine! But i do want to study so is it really worth all this debt? Can someone just tell me how badly i've screwed my life up? I'm also 21 so by the time i finish my course i will be around 24/25 and i'll be so old :frown: arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF?!?

Feel free to leave nice OR nasty comments i just need A comment on my situation here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jerry
So i've suspended my studies/dropped out at the very end of my second year as i wasn't doing well on placement and FINALLY realized this course was too challenging for someone like me. I'm now looking at transferring courses and start as a 2nd year student but it's looking like that's not possible and i will have to be starting again from year 1. How does this affect my student finance tuition fees? i'm living at home so i don't have accommodation costs. I was also eligible for the FULL maintenance grant (the one you don't pay back) due to low household income but they're stopping those now so if i start again from year 1 i'll have to take out more loans to fund my expenses at uni? I will be the only student in the biggest amount of debt you could ever imagine! But i do want to study so is it really worth all this debt? Can someone just tell me how badly i've screwed my life up? I'm also 21 so by the time i finish my course i will be around 24/25 and i'll be so old :frown: arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF?!?

Feel free to leave nice OR nasty comments i just need A comment on my situation here!

If you start a new degree from year one, you will only get a minimum Maintenance Loan for the first year and you would have to pay your own tuition fees. Your full Student Finance entitlement under the new rules (no grant) would kick in for your second and third years.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
If you start a new degree from year one, you will only get a minimum Maintenance Loan for the first year and you would have to pay your own tuition fees. Your full Student Finance entitlement under the new rules (no grant) would kick in for your second and third years.

HOW do i pay it myself though i literally have no money it's like £9000 or something so would i just not go to uni then because i can't afford it because that would be pretty sad.... :frown:
Original post by Jerry

Don't stress out, you're being too hard on yourself.

There are many options, go and research.
Reply 4
What course you doing ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jerry
HOW do i pay it myself though i literally have no money it's like £9000 or something so would i just not go to uni then because i can't afford it because that would be pretty sad.... :frown:

As with any other stage of your life, I'm afraid there are no quick or easy ways to raise £9000 + the bulk of a year's living expenses. I was in your position and I had to wait until I was 44 before I could afford to try uni again.
Reply 6
Original post by Vinny1900
Don't stress out, you're being too hard on yourself.

There are many options, go and research.

Thanx it's quite stressful having to redo uni when i was so close to my final year and graduation !
Reply 7
Original post by Chez231
What course you doing ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Social Work
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
As with any other stage of your life, I'm afraid there are no quick or easy ways to raise £9000 + the bulk of a year's living expenses. I was in your position and I had to wait until I was 44 before I could afford to try uni again.

I don't need living expenses i live at home so i don't pay any rent etc. but i would hate to wait till 44 :O that's a real real real real long time !! :eek:
Sometimes in life, you just gotta take that L. Good luck tho.
Reply 10
Original post by Perfection Ace
Sometimes in life, you just gotta take that L. Good luck tho.

Thanx x :u:
Original post by Jerry
I don't need living expenses i live at home so i don't pay any rent etc. but i would hate to wait till 44 :O that's a real real real real long time !! :eek:

What Klix said its degree length+1. So if youd quit in the first year you would have been ok, but as it is toy decided to do it in the second year.

There are other users who have decided to do this and they have saved up for the fees. It cna be done you will just need to go and get a job, then save the money over 1.2.3,4 years.

Alternatively why not have a word with your tutor and see if you can redo the 2nd year or maybe transfer onto the 2nd year of another course?
Original post by Jerry
Social Work

I believe social work is exempt from the funding thing and you can do it as a second degree fully funded. Double check it but here:

"England, Wales and Northern Ireland: you’re eligible for funding from Student Finance England, Wales or NI you can get a loan for living costs if your new course leads to a professional qualification, eg as a medical doctor, dentist, veterinary surgeon, social worker, architect, town planner (for medicine, dentistry or social work you may be able to get an NHS, Care Council for Wales or DHSSPS bursary instead or as well see below)."

SOURCE HERE
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
What Klix said its degree length+1. So if youd quit in the first year you would have been ok, but as it is toy decided to do it in the second year.

There are other users who have decided to do this and they have saved up for the fees. It cna be done you will just need to go and get a job, then save the money over 1.2.3,4 years.

Alternatively why not have a word with your tutor and see if you can redo the 2nd year or maybe transfer onto the 2nd year of another course?

I wouldn't be able to pass my 2nd year i just can't do the placement they're asking too much of me and i'm not as confident as they want me to be. I am trying my best to transfer onto the 2nd year of another course but it seems unlikely
Reply 14
Original post by Jenx301
I believe social work is exempt from the funding thing and you can do it as a second degree fully funded. Double check it but here:

"England, Wales and Northern Ireland: you’re eligible for funding from Student Finance England, Wales or NI you can get a loan for living costs if your new course leads to a professional qualification, eg as a medical doctor, dentist, veterinary surgeon, social worker, architect, town planner (for medicine, dentistry or social work you may be able to get an NHS, Care Council for Wales or DHSSPS bursary instead or as well see below)."

SOURCE HERE

Thanx but i've left the social work course :smile: and i got the bursary so i don't know whats going to happen to that now either
Original post by Jerry
I wouldn't be able to pass my 2nd year i just can't do the placement they're asking too much of me and i'm not as confident as they want me to be. I am trying my best to transfer onto the 2nd year of another course but it seems unlikely

Well I think those are your options. If you are changing course then ofc spend some time and make sure its the right one for you. It would be a mistake to start one that you dont like.

There are people on here who have gone away and saved up the money for the extra year, so hang in there and dont give up. You might have to be patient though. Good luck.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
Well I think those are your options. If you are changing course then ofc spend some time and make sure its the right one for you. It would be a mistake to start one that you dont like.

There are people on here who have gone away and saved up the money for the extra year, so hang in there and dont give up. You might have to be patient though. Good luck.

Thanx xx :wink:
Original post by Jerry
Thanx but i've left the social work course :smile: and i got the bursary so i don't know whats going to happen to that now either

oh sorry I thought you meant you wanted to do social work as your next course
you'll have to pay for your first year of a new course, if you get a job and lived at home you could probably save enoguh in a couple of years to have some left over to live on as well
Reply 19
get a sugar daddy/job to fund the new course or just go straight into work

Quick Reply

Latest