The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-LJLB
Hahaha how have I bullied you? I never said your opinion was even wrong, just different to mine.

And you see how petty it gets when you are called one.
someone should rename this thread 'i hate trans people pls affirm my views' tbh what a mess
How to piss off a feminist and the PC brigade 101
Original post by TrueDetective01
And you see how petty it gets when you are called one.

Okay
Original post by AlteredBoy
Nonetheless there is sufficient evidence to suggest that there are differences in male and female brain structures, especially the BSTc region

So you agree brain imaging doesn't show two different kinds of brain.........

Thanks
Original post by nikolateslacles
someone should rename this thread 'i hate trans people pls affirm my views' tbh what a mess

You could just challenge those views
I guess it technically is, it's called gender dysmorphia right?
Original post by paul514
You could just challenge those views

Challenging views = hate speech
Original post by paul514
I know, being transsexual

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahah is that the best comeback you could think of?
And I can't be transsexual because I haven't physically transitioned from one sex to another.
someone should rename this forum 'i hate trans people pls affirm my views' tbh what a mess

ftfy :yy:
Original post by lostintrnslation
Hahahah is that the best comeback you could think of?
And I can't be transsexual because I haven't physically transitioned from one sex to another.

1. I wasn't even talking to you, and it isn't a 'come back' its a reply to that previous posters comments.

2. If you are talking about someone who hasn't gone through the medical procedures that is a pre op transsexual
Original post by TrueDetective01
Challenging views = hate speech

Apparently
Original post by paul514
So you agree brain imaging doesn't show two different kinds of brain.........

Thanks

It does. thats the point.
Original post by paul514
, And we are back to people saying gender isdifferent from sex

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sex - Either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most otherliving things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gender -The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones):

Original post by paul514
Well she is wrong

*he

Original post by Mentally
Transexuality is a mental disorder no matter howyou define it

Why must the cis get involved with this. As with men's opinions on female's reproductive rights, I fail to see why cisgender people can categorise trenssexualism as a mental disorder when it isn't. It's a state of being. The gender dysphoria that comes with most* trans people is.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/transsexual - a person who psychologically identifies with the opposite sex and may seek to live as a member of this sex especially by undergoing surgery and hormone therapy toobtain the necessary physical appearance (as by changing the external sex organs)

*Some trans people argue that they don't need dysphoria to be trans but I disagree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paul514
1. I wasn't even talking to you, and it isn't a 'come back' its a reply to that previous posters comments.

2. If you are talking about someone who hasn't gone through the medical procedures that is a pre op transsexual

you weren't talking to me which is why you quoted MY post when you said it? alright.

a 'pre-op transsexual' is actually usually called a transgender person nowadays.
It does. thats the point.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sex - Either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most otherliving things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gender -The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones):

*he

Why must the cis get involved with this. As with men's opinions on female's reproductive rights, I fail to see why cisgender people can categorise trenssexualism as a mental disorder when it isn't. It's a state of being. The gender dysphoria that comes with most* trans people is.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/transsexual - a person who psychologically identifies with the opposite sex and may seek to live as a member of this sex especially by undergoing surgery and hormone therapy toobtain the necessary physical appearance (as by changing the external sex organs)

*Some trans people argue that they don't need dysphoria to be trans but I disagree.

I pointed out how an infinite number of things can make a brain image scans look different. It does not show a female and male brain as in a set brain we are born with.

As you just pointed out your are talking about social constructs rather than biological facts, so prey tell why go through mutilating genitals? After all you could just act socially like a woman.....

Why must cisgender people get involved in categorising transsexuals as having a mental health condition....... that's like saying why must none schizophrenics get involved in categorising schizophrenia as a mental health condition.
"Some trans people argue that they don't need dysphoria to be trans but I disagree"....... So therefore transsexuals have dysphoria which is causing their transsexualism and is a mental health condition.

Thanks for agreeing with what most people on here have been saying the whole time
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lostintrnslation
you weren't talking to me which is why you quoted MY post when you said it? alright.

a 'pre-op transsexual' is actually usually called a transgender person nowadays.

I didn't recognise your user name I thought I said that to someone else.

Either way the comment still stands and your change of label makes zero difference
Original post by paul514
As you just pointed out your are talking about social constructs rather than biological ones, so prey tell why go through mutilating genitals? After all you could just act socially like a woman.....

Why must cisgender people get involved in categorising transsexuals as having a mental health condition....... that's like saying why must none schizophrenics get involved in categorising schizophrenia as a mental health condition.
"Some trans people argue that they don't need dysphoria to be trans but I disagree"....... So therefore transsexuals have dysphoria which causing their transsexualism and is a mental health condition.

Thanks for agreeing with what most people on here have been saying the whole time

Because quite frankly I could not care less about my genitals. I'd cut them off myself it it wouldn't kill me. I tried to act socially as a woman for 15 years. 3 suicide attempts and numerous occurrences of self harm later and I had to admit to myself that I was trans. Believe me it is not that easy.

Schizophrenics are delusional. Trans people are not. There is a difference over our executive function that allows us to get on with our lives pretty normally, whereas schizophrenics do not.

Yet again. Transsexualism is not a mental health condition. It is a state of being. Gender dysphoria is. Quite honestly children would have understood this by now and yet you still can't get it
Because quite frankly I could not care less about my genitals. I'd cut them off myself it it wouldn't kill me. I tried to act socially as a woman for 15 years. 3 suicide attempts and numerous occurrences of self harm later and I had to admit to myself that I was trans. Believe me it is not that easy.

Schizophrenics are delusional. Trans people are not. There is a difference over our executive function that allows us to get on with our lives pretty normally, whereas schizophrenics do not.

Yet again. Transsexualism is not a mental health condition. It is a state of being. Gender dysphoria is. Quite honestly children would have understood this by now and yet you still can't get it

lets run over these things again then...

You tried to act socially as a woman for 15 years yet it didn't work for you, answer very directly why did that not work.

Delusion - an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder

You just said you cant be transsexual without having gender dysphoria, I agree. So being transsexual means you have a mental health condition.

Quite honestly children would have understood this by now and yet you still can't get it
Reply 138

Typical PC. "Any male who isn't a SJW like me = racist, homophobe, transphobe, misogynist."
F*ck you. I genuinely didn't plan this thread to upset actual trans people and I'm sorry if it did. I don't hate people with mental disorders/conditions nor did I ever say anything like that. I think society should accommodate trans people. Maybe in your mind mental conditions warrant hate and negativity so you made that connection.
Original post by monk1324
Typical PC. "Any male who isn't a SJW like me = racist, homophobe, transphobe, misogynist."
F*ck you. I genuinely didn't plan this thread to upset actual trans people and I'm sorry if it did. I don't hate people with mental disorders/conditions nor did I ever say anything like that. I think society should accommodate trans people. Maybe in your mind mental conditions warrant hate and negativity so you made that connection.

Pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest