The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSlayerr
My teacher's refused to give me any info. :frown: I have no idea what grade I'm going to get.

Very stupid of them but the exam itslef isnt too hard tho,I actually sat one today in the exact place I will be in the hall,I start on question 3 then do 1 then 2 wat do u do ?
Original post by Waveyalex
Very stupid of them but the exam itslef isnt too hard tho,I actually sat one today in the exact place I will be in the hall,I start on question 3 then do 1 then 2 wat do u do ?

I'm doing 3 (40 mins) -->1 (50 mins) -->2 (20 mins). 10 mins to check/edit.
Original post by TSlayerr
I'm doing 3 (40 mins) -->1 (50 mins) -->2 (20 mins). 10 mins to check/edit.

thats like the way we get taught to do it ?
For question 2, my teacher said max 3 lines per phrase.
If anyone has any last minute tips, that would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by ibte10
Sorry, guys i became very ill so had to stay in bed for a few days unfortunately. Thankfully, i feel a bit better today and i have managed to write a guide on each question. Feel free to read it. I wanted to write model answers but what paper should i do them for? I am thinking of last years paper. Thoughts?

This is really helpful. Thank you... hope you get better! Yeah that would be good because the previous years question 3 is slightly different.
Reply 226
Original post by FaithKG
This is really helpful. Thank you... hope you get better! Yeah that would be good because the previous years question 3 is slightly different.

Ok it will be done for tomorrow.
Original post by HouseOfRichman
That's what I was planning alongside it :smile: running out of papers to do that's all! If anyone has anything others than those available on the website could you PM me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yh I've already done a few so going to see how many I have left!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school did a mock exam in the exam hall in our exact places where we would being siting on tuesday di ur skl do something similar ?

Same! We did a paper on winter wonderland and Lapland in late November, then I've done some for revision and then we did another one yesterday in the hall about sea monsters or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do question 1 (45mins) then question 3 (45 mins) then question 2 (25mins) then 5mins to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 230
I literally don't know my coursework grade 😕. Just for reference I did a mock and got an E, combined with my coursework, I got a low B. Could anyone estimate what grade my coursework is please?
Original post by FaithKG
My teachers have told me 15. Because you must include all of these points for your summary to get full marks. So I guess 15 points should be right.

Don't write around the sides! It's one point per line and the paper are scanned so the examiners cant even see around the box!
Original post by Rajive
I literally don't know my coursework grade 😕. Just for reference I did a mock and got an E, combined with my coursework, I got a low B. Could anyone estimate what grade my coursework is please?

You probs got around 45+/50. Do you know what you got for your speaking and listening?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I do question 1 (45mins) then question 3 (45 mins) then question 2 (25mins) then 5mins to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont u guys do plan (bullet points)
Original post by ellamoon_22
Dont u guys do plan (bullet points)

Planning is included in the time.
For anyone struggling with question 2 one important point I'd say is read the question very carefully! When they ask you to look at a certain paragraph they give one or two points which you need to focus on and make your points relevant to what they ask. The exam has changed so that you only pick specific words and if you don't then you don't get marked for what you put. :frown:
Anyway, does anyone have any tips for how I can manage my word count as that's what I really struggle with? Also, what happens if you are over or under the word count?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello! Does anyone know what writing skill will come up in question 1?
Original post by x_geniya_jery_x
Hello! Does anyone know what writing skill will come up in question 1?

According to my teacher the most marks are awarded for reading (15) that is, you need to be able to sift information from the text, at least 5 points for each bullet. i usually just think of it as comprehension, but its relatively easy once you look for points and expand on them with some creativity. you aren't penalized as much for accuracy in writing though.
Original post by bubblynerd5
According to my teacher the most marks are awarded for reading (15) that is, you need to be able to sift information from the text, at least 5 points for each bullet. i usually just think of it as comprehension, but its relatively easy once you look for points and expand on them with some creativity. you aren't penalized as much for accuracy in writing though.

Sorry, my bad, didn't explain the question properly. I meant like what writing convention will come up in question 1 e.g newspaper article, report etc
Original post by habeebahx
For anyone struggling with question 2 one important point I'd say is read the question very carefully! When they ask you to look at a certain paragraph they give one or two points which you need to focus on and make your points relevant to what they ask. The exam has changed so that you only pick specific words and if you don't then you don't get marked for what you put. :frown:
Anyway, does anyone have any tips for how I can manage my word count as that's what I really struggle with? Also, what happens if you are over or under the word count?

Posted from TSR Mobile

word count doesn't matter a lot but they will lower maerks if its under because it sa must develop ur points. If u are under it is showing tht u don't develop point. Also just because they aren't gonna penalise u if u go over doesn't mean write tons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending