The Student Room Group

Travelling to Japan!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jodie_mort
I've heard the street food is really good but don't they eat sharks and pets though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a lot of things you will be lucky to find shark, and pets not in any decent street vendor and even in bad ones it would be hard
Reply 21
Original post by AperfectBalance
In a lot of things you will be lucky to find shark, and pets not in any decent street vendor and even in bad ones it would be hard

Okay that's reassuring thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found that my 02 signal was not working in some places in Japan. Normally, it just connects to local networks like DOCOMO, but in Kyoto and Hiroshima there was nothing at all. I couldn't even text back home to say I was alright.

Great guide for everything Japanese-related: https://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/category/far-east-asia/japan/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I found that my 02 signal was not working in some places in Japan. Normally, it just connects to local networks like DOCOMO, but in Kyoto and Hiroshima there was nothing at all. I couldn't even text back home to say I was alright.

Okay thanks for letting me know, did you visit Nagasaki because I'm also going there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow really? I know nothing about that haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

The same applies to Nagasaki and Hiroshima since American combat pilots have thrown an atomic bomb on those cities. Poor Japan.
Reply 25
Original post by Kallisto
The same applies to Nagasaki and Hiroshima since American combat pilots have thrown an atomic bomb on those cities. Poor Japan.

I studied it in history, it sounds well cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I studied it in history, it sounds well cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well cool?! cities which are not can not be travelled or used to build a livelihood up for billions of years is well cool?!?!
Reply 27
Original post by Kallisto
Well cool?! cities which are not can not be travelled or used to build a livelihood up for billions of years is well cool?!?!

The history is what I found cool. I do feel sorry for Japan haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ueno Zoo, Akhihabara, Takeshita Street, the Imperial Palace, Ghibli Museum at Mikata. Also just try some small Japanese supermarkets etc just to see how different they are! I was shocked to find that they sell hedgehogs in pet shops over there . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
ALSO TRY MELON SODA. IT IS DIVINE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Edminzodo
ALSO TRY MELON SODA. IT IS DIVINE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay! I will probably try everything there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay! I will probably try everything there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grab a teriyaki burger in McDonald's for sure. If you need Western food then JS Burgers in Tokyo is pretty great. Also okonomiyaki restaurants are nice, but they involve doing some of the cooking yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Grab a teriyaki burger in McDonald's for sure. If you need Western food then JS Burgers in Tokyo is pretty great. Also okonomiyaki restaurants are nice, but they involve doing some of the cooking yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds cool with cooking yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds cool with cooking yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was, I was pretty rubbish at it, though. Where in Tokyo are you staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
It was, I was pretty rubbish at it, though. Where in Tokyo are you staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Centre of Japan I believe, not sure where exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
You actually can go to Nagasaki and Hiroshima - both a large built up cities with no movie-like bomb craters or radioactive death pits.

I've been to Hiroshima myself and it's just like Tokyo with massive skyscrapers and parks etc. The only signs of the bomb are the occaisonal memorial, the museum and the last remaining building from the bomb which has been kept as part of history.
Reply 36
Original post by TelAviv
You actually can go to Nagasaki and Hiroshima - both a large built up cities with no movie-like bomb craters or radioactive death pits.

I've been to Hiroshima myself and it's just like Tokyo with massive skyscrapers and parks etc. The only signs of the bomb are the occaisonal memorial, the museum and the last remaining building from the bomb which has been kept as part of history.

Aw okay that's cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Been to the skytree, if you get there on a clear day you might have views all the way to Mt. Fuji, hazy day and you can't see as far, still quite good though, but a bit boring very quickly.
Go to Shibuya, busiest crossing in the world, lots of independent shops you can wander around in.
Harujuku is awesome, Takeashita Street is really busy and lots of good shops, also a temple that you can go to.
Akihabara has loads of technology and anime shops, if you go on a sunday there the roads are closed so its pedestrian only and there is a market.
Asakusa has a huge Buddist temple with a market leading up to it, its a beautiful place to go to, definitely a must see.
Tokyo Decks has an indoor amusement centre, lots of virtual games and an indoor roller-coaster, and there is a huge mall with loads of fantastic restaurants to choose from.

I was with scouts when we were in Tokyo and managed to do all this (and more, but they were one off events), hopefully you'll be able to see some of this!:smile:
Reply 38
Original post by viriani
Been to the skytree, if you get there on a clear day you might have views all the way to Mt. Fuji, hazy day and you can't see as far, still quite good though, but a bit boring very quickly.
Go to Shibuya, busiest crossing in the world, lots of independent shops you can wander around in.
Harujuku is awesome, Takeashita Street is really busy and lots of good shops, also a temple that you can go to.
Akihabara has loads of technology and anime shops, if you go on a sunday there the roads are closed so its pedestrian only and there is a market.
Asakusa has a huge Buddist temple with a market leading up to it, its a beautiful place to go to, definitely a must see.
Tokyo Decks has an indoor amusement centre, lots of virtual games and an indoor roller-coaster, and there is a huge mall with loads of fantastic restaurants to choose from.

I was with scouts when we were in Tokyo and managed to do all this (and more, but they were one off events), hopefully you'll be able to see some of this!:smile:

Thank you! This is so helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

Quick Reply

Latest