The Student Room Group

Constant Déjà vu

Has anyone experience a Déjà vu? Like an event that already occurred occurring again, like being in a loop of Déjà vu? And not feeling as if it already happened but knowing it already happened. Usually when I have Déjà vu it appears through a dream or whenever I space out and when I wake up/snap out of it, I forgot it and when the moment occurs I already know what's going to happened- not in detail but I know the whole scenario of the event. The one Déjà vu that I still remember to this day is when I had a heated argument with my mum thanks to one word I said to her and when the event occurred for real I managed to avoid it by walking away.

But I researched about my constant Déjà vu and I found out that it could be associated temporal-lobe epilepsy. Although I get them through dreams or when I space out, I'm concerned that I may have epilepsy, :s-smilie:
Original post by Eriasu
Has anyone experience a Déjà vu? Like an event that already occurred occurring again, like being in a loop of Déjà vu? And not feeling as if it already happened but knowing it already happened. Usually when I have Déjà vu it appears through a dream or whenever I space out and when I wake up/snap out of it, I forgot it and when the moment occurs I already know what's going to happened- not in detail but I know the whole scenario of the event. The one Déjà vu that I still remember to this day is when I had a heated argument with my mum thanks to one word I said to her and when the event occurred for real I managed to avoid it by walking away.

But I researched about my constant Déjà vu and I found out that it could be associated temporal-lobe epilepsy. Although I get them through dreams or when I space out, I'm concerned that I may have epilepsy, :s-smilie:

yes many times in my life where i'm like i swear i've seen that before or i swear i've already learnt this or that definitely rings a bell
Reply 2
Don't stress over Déjà-vus, everyone has some. Maybe you're going to develop them though and become a medium and make a lot of money by predicting their future to people
Original post by Eriasu

Don't armchair doctor, you'll only get yourself in a tizzy over nothing. If it's regular enough to be causing you concern, go to a doctor. Although if you are having simple partial seizures - and that's what I'm guessing you're worried about - you would expect to feel other things. Typically you'd have some of:

Motor seizures: Weird jerks you can't control

Autonomic seizures: Palpitations or strange feelings in the chest/stomach

Psychiatric seizures: Sudden onset of fear, anger etc for no reason, déja vu or intermittent memory lapses, or inability to communicate properly

Sensory seizures: Suddenly tasting/smelling/hearing things that aren't actually there

If the only thing is feeling a sense of déja vu, I would imagine you're okay. But if you're worried about it, see a doctor. But for the love of God, don't walk in there and say 'I'm regularly getting a sense of déja vu, I think I have temporal lobe epilepsy'. Let the doctor do the doctoring,
Reply 4
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Don't armchair doctor, you'll only get yourself in a tizzy over nothing. If it's regular enough to be causing you concern, go to a doctor. Although if you are having simple partial seizures - and that's what I'm guessing you're worried about - you would expect to feel other things. Typically you'd have some of:

Motor seizures: Weird jerks you can't control

Autonomic seizures: Palpitations or strange feelings in the chest/stomach

Psychiatric seizures: Sudden onset of fear, anger etc for no reason, déja vu or intermittent memory lapses, or inability to communicate properly

Sensory seizures: Suddenly tasting/smelling/hearing things that aren't actually there

If the only thing is feeling a sense of déja vu, I would imagine you're okay. But if you're worried about it, see a doctor. But for the love of God, don't walk in there and say 'I'm regularly getting a sense of déja vu, I think I have temporal lobe epilepsy'. Let the doctor do the doctoring,

Is there a cure for it, though? And what am I supposed to say? "I'm getting regular déja vu, and I'm worried that I might have temporal lobe epilepsy" how is that?
Reply 5

I have a feeling I've seen this thread before.
Reply 7
i experience the deja vu of looking in the mirror and ****ing hating myself every morning
Original post by thunder_chunky
I have a feeling I've seen this thread before.

Spoiler

Original post by Eriasu
Is there a cure for it, though? And what am I supposed to say? "I'm getting regular déja vu, and I'm worried that I might have temporal lobe epilepsy" how is that?

There's no cure for epilepsy so far as I'm aware, but you can control the seizures with medication; that said, not everyone with epilepsy even needs the medication. I believe it can also be helped through following a special diet (ketones have been shown to lend themselves to epileptic seizures, so epileptic people often follow a ketogenic diet). On the other hand, people with very bad epilepsy can have quite intense medical procedures like deep brain stimulation or even surgery.

If you're worried, just go to the doctor and say that you are consistently having episodes of déja vu, to the point where it's *insert regularity here*, it's interfering with your day-to-day activities (which I presume it is if you're concerned about it) and you want to make sure it isn't anything serious. Don't suggest what you think the diagnosis might be; it'll instantly make the doctor think you're armchair doctoring or a hypochondriac. Like I said, the doctor will work out what - if anything - is wrong. It isn't like without your suggestion of what google has said could be the cause, your doctor would be utterly flummoxed. Just tell him your symptoms, that you wanna make sure it ain't anything serious, and then let him do his stuff.

Good luck, I hope it ain't anything serious!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest