The Student Room Group

The Privilege Game...

[video="youtube;AOMpxsiUg2Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMpxsiUg2Q[/video]

What are your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

bumpidty...bumpidty...bump... :rofl:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
[video="youtube;AOMpxsiUg2Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMpxsiUg2Q[/video]

It's so true.... Our lives are a game in this world we live in....
No one can control anything!
Original post by Boss_Rhythm

I actually got chills at the end :redface:

Did you notice how everyone is arranged based on a trump/ republican perspective? It's such a good video, I wish I could like it a million times!
I actually got chills at the end :redface:

Did you notice how everyone is arranged based on a trump/ republican perspective? It's such a good video, I wish I could like it a million times!

Yh, it is a good video! It actually explains our lives as well as others..
A lot of people can probably relate as well!
Darn, I predicted that everyone would finish at the bottom or the game would not ever finish.

But I see what it's saying, deep stuff. :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought it was really interesting, I liked the idea of showing how people are privileged depending on what you are basically born into and how you can't control it.
It was quite funny when it became all intense at the end and the guy was like "it's just a game"

Maybe a little too simplistic. Also, if all players had been completely dispassionate, perhaps it would have ended a bit fairer.
Really enjoyed the video. It was very thought-provoking and underlined pretty much how society works.

In particular (and perhaps some people may have picked up on this), the male who won the game went about his task quietly, allowing the others to argue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or perhaps a measure of social worth) but he seemed to have the most cards to play. I'm assuming that each card is an opportunity to progress up the ladder in which case, he seemed to be in a pretty "privileged" position.

We often hear how everyone in society has equal opportunities but this isn't generally the case. Social status/equality does not reset with each new generation and even though we may have similar opportunities, it is far easier to stay nearer the top than actually move up the stairs.

One point where I found there to be a slight disagreement is with the dealer. I felt he was painted as some kind of arbitrator, enforcing or explaining the rules of the game, and making sure that the game is played in a fair manner. But this is generally false. The people at the very top are the ones to set the rules.

I also think it did a good job of exposing one major flaw of capitalism vis-a-vis opportunities. Capitalism works where everyone in society is equal, so there is true competition, an opportunity for all. But we are humans and we have a history, we have ingrained prejudices and we have our own sense of what is right and wrong. Combine that within a competitive format and everything becomes lopsided which is the reason why some people play the gender card, the race card or any other "social equality" card.

Perhaps if we made an effort to be more equal socially, there wouldn't be a need to play "social equality" cards? Perhaps if we were all socially equal, everyone would have the same opportunities, more of less? Perhaps if we all had the same opportunities, then it would truly be a competition?

Because right now, the game is stacked in favour of a certain type of person, and this person will win every single time.
Post to remind myself to watch this when I get home
Ooo that was good, especially the 'it's just a game' game me a chill down my spine

it's not a game, it's not a game...
That Trump card...
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Really enjoyed the video. It was very thought-provoking and underlined pretty much how society works.

In particular (and perhaps some people may have picked up on this), the male who won the game went about his task quietly, allowing the others to argue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or perhaps a measure of social worth) but he seemed to have the most cards to play. I'm assuming that each card is an opportunity to progress up the ladder in which case, he seemed to be in a pretty "privileged" position.

We often hear how everyone in society has equal opportunities but this isn't generally the case. Social status/equality does not reset with each new generation and even though we may have similar opportunities, it is far easier to stay nearer the top than actually move up the stairs.

One point where I found there to be a slight disagreement is with the dealer. I felt he was painted as some kind of arbitrator, enforcing or explaining the rules of the game, and making sure that the game is played in a fair manner. But this is generally false. The people at the very top are the ones to set the rules.

I also think it did a good job of exposing one major flaw of capitalism vis-a-vis opportunities. Capitalism works where everyone in society is equal, so there is true competition, an opportunity for all. But we are humans and we have a history, we have ingrained prejudices and we have our own sense of what is right and wrong. Combine that within a competitive format and everything becomes lopsided which is the reason why some people play the gender card, the race card or any other "social equality" card.

Perhaps if we made an effort to be more equal socially, there wouldn't be a need to play "social equality" cards? Perhaps if we were all socially equal, everyone would have the same opportunities, more of less? Perhaps if we all had the same opportunities, then it would truly be a competition?

Because right now, the game is stacked in favour of a certain type of person, and this person will win every single time.

Yes he said the rules of the game in terms of how many cards you have to play are decided upon by the level you are at on the wealth ladder, higher up equals more cards.

I understand what you're saying about the dealer but he states at about 6.18 "I can't make him do anything" and he is correct, it was the man in the most privileged position that caused the downfall of the least privileged player in the end (sounds familiar...).

Yes definitely, if we were more socially equal it would lead to equal opportunities on the wealth ladder. But it's a human flaw and I never see that happening.

I mean one progressive step towards social equality would be breaking the convention that favours a certain type of person to succeed, it can only be done by working harder. What I took from the video is although their positions were pre-decided benefiting some more than others, the more wealth they created equalled more opportunity, in the end the man with the most wealth had the power to enable the least privileged player to move up a stage but later chose the "trump card".

The most privileged in society have the power to balance out our society but choose not too, but I have no doubt if you work hard (harder than the ones that started of privileged) you can make a real difference in the world.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Ooo that was good, especially the 'it's just a game' game me a chill down my spine

it's not a game, it's not a game...

Same, I got chills :redface:
Pretty good caricatures of both left and right. Obviously exaggerated but not by much. :P

What about treating human beings as you would like to be treated?
Original post by Boss_Rhythm

Life isn't a game, it doesn't have to be cut-throat competitiveness, it can be teamwork and getting along with people around and being genuine.
Original post by Supersaps
Pretty good caricatures of both left and right. Obviously exaggerated but not by much. :P

This is the white privilege game, you can invade other countries but their refugees cannot come to live in yours with open arms.
Original post by Vinny1900
Life isn't a game, it doesn't have to be cut-throat competitiveness, it can be teamwork and getting along with people around and being genuine.

But I suppose that is no fun. Competition in life gives us purpose, makes us feel alive! If everything was easy we wouldn't appreciate success.
But I suppose that is no fun. Competition in life gives us purpose, makes us feel alive! If everything was easy we wouldn't appreciate success.

You're a Conservative?

You're a female, that means you're losing from the start of the game regardless of how clever you are. Competitive women will always lose because of maternity leave because you're competing against men who don't have that responsibility and you will lose out on 3-4 years of career development. There is more reason for a woman to be a Labour Supporter because they will have more compassion for hardship. Once you have a young family, your purpose will be your children and not career aspirations. See again, women are on the backfoot. Should you have another child, that is another 2-3 years taken off work, LMAO.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest