The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supreme_
What do you mean by suggestion?

What the word/phrase could suggest (the implicit meaning)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supreme_
What do you mean by suggestion?

Yh what the word implies the underneath this kinda answered it tho,have a look online and ask ur teacher(s) about it they can explain it better.
Who else has to go to school on monday bank holiday ?
Original post by Waveyalex

NOT ME!!!
Original post by TSlayerr
NOT ME!!!

lucky everyone in my year is in skl for english revision.
Original post by Waveyalex

My teacher only invited people she thought needed serious help and O actually wanted to go but I guess thts a compliment so I get to relax at home
Im worried cause you guys are saying ill get penalised if i don't write enough. Are you 100% sure i will cause my teacher has been teaching the course for a long time and he said that you won't get penalised if i don't write enough.

:frown: WHAT DO I DO?
We had a chief examiner come in today and practically explained to us how the exam board wanted us to answer the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im worried cause you guys are saying ill get penalised if i don't write enough. Are you 100% sure i will cause my teacher has been teaching the course for a long time and he said that you won't get penalised if i don't write enough.

There wouldn't be a word amount in the question if it didn't mean anything, so yes, you will be penalised. That's what my professor has been telling me for 2 years.

There isnt a known 'penalty' for writing to little or too much but generally speaking you can sorta reasonably predict how much you need based on the amount of words they say to write plus your own judgement.
I got my English language exam on the 3rd of may pretty scared about it as i feel im not prepared. The best thing is if the paper gets leaked and the mark scheme
Original post by skillzaismine
We had a chief examiner come in today and practically explained to us how the exam board wanted us to answer the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

today is saturday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mind sharing?
Original post by FaithKG
Mind sharing?

Want a little summary of the questions?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tht be great
Original post by Dannybreh991
I got my English language exam on the 3rd of may pretty scared about it as i feel im not prepared. The best thing is if the paper gets leaked and the mark scheme

If you could probs try and somehow get the mark scheme and past paper that'd be great haha! But yh I wish someone found them and secretly distributed it on TSR lol!
is question 1 on paper 2 classed as directed writing?
because I'm doing extend - which is where you do paper 2 and 3 (as opposed to 1 and 2 - for core)
anyways for paper 3, isn't there a directed writing question on that as well?

I'm confused..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question one:
Possible writing styles:
- report - talking about past events
- journal - being reflective
- speech - use rhetorical devices consistently
- letter
- newspaper report
- magazine article - headline will be provided , use short quotations and over dramatise event (same applies for newspaper)
- interviews - use the questions provided, DO NOT ADD YOUR OWN QUESTIONS AND DO NOT GIVE THE INTERVIEWER ANY PERSONALITY

It's important to develop the style of the individual you are writing in the context in and evenly address all three bullet points. For A3 (where you have to infer) use ideas from the passage to develop your answer but DO NOT make things up.

Question two:
- write six words for each paragraph if you have enough time. You will not get penalised for this.
- if you chose a safe word, most likely you won't get credited for it
- always say the meaning of the word, if you write the effect only then you won't get higher marks (meaning makes up 6/10 of your marks along with the right words that you've picked)
- always say the effect of the word NOT the effect of the reader (e.g. Don't say "this makes the reader feel....)
- you can structure your answer like this: choice -> meaning -> effect

Question three:
- you cannot write more than 15 points below the lines provided
- if you have two points as a bullet point then you will only receive one mark
- if you have more than three as one bullet point you will receive zero
- make sure your points aren't too similar as this is where you could lose marks
- write in plain English, you're not writing as anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question one:
Possible writing styles:
- report - talking about past events
- journal - being reflective
- speech - use rhetorical devices consistently
- letter
- newspaper report
- magazine article - headline will be provided , use short quotations and over dramatise event (same applies for newspaper)
- interviews - use the questions provided, DO NOT ADD YOUR OWN QUESTIONS AND DO NOT GIVE THE INTERVIEWER ANY PERSONALITY

It's important to develop the style of the individual you are writing in the context in and evenly address all three bullet points. For A3 (where you have to infer) use ideas from the passage to develop your answer but DO NOT make things up.

Question two:
- write six words for each paragraph if you have enough time. You will not get penalised for this.
- if you chose a safe word, most likely you won't get credited for it
- always say the meaning of the word, if you write the effect only then you won't get higher marks (meaning makes up 6/10 of your marks along with the right words that you've picked)
- always say the effect of the word NOT the effect of the reader (e.g. Don't say "this makes the reader feel....)
- you can structure your answer like this: choice -> meaning -> effect

Question three:
- you cannot write more than 15 points below the lines provided
- if you have two points as a bullet point then you will only receive one mark
- if you have more than three as one bullet point you will receive zero
- make sure your points aren't too similar as this is where you could lose marks
- write in plain English, you're not writing as anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

When u are infering how do u not make stuff up. Also for question 2 for the effect can u give exampls usually I just do like word level and say it creates imagery etc te highest ive got is 9/10
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ellamoon_22
When u are infering how do u not make stuff up. Also for question 2 for the effect can u give exampls usually I just do like word level and say it creates imagery etc te highest ive got is 9/10

I think what she meant was make educated guess about the situation, like don't create a whole new story that isn't found in the text. Eg: "he had a picture of his wife in his wallet" so you'd say "I love my wife blah blah"

For question two she said that you shouldn't use individual words bc it's unlikely that they'll be in the mark scheme. By effect she meant why use that phrase instead of a more simple word. What image does it create etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending