The Student Room Group

Worried about English exam!

Hi all,

I'm a mature student who last year decided to go back to school (college) to get an education, i've been taking GCSE Maths and English, my exams (AQA) like most are in June.

The thing is i'm pretty good at Maths and confident i'll pass the exam (foundation tier, after a grade C), but English (also foundation tier) is really stressing me out! Though i did okay on my coursework (worth 40% of the grade) scoring 80/105 which is a 'B', we have only started looking into the exam prep 2 weeks ago and with only a month to go until exams, i'm totally unprepared for it!

I had done a bit of revision for section A (reading) which involves presentational and language features, but section B (writing) i'm at a complete loss! I've looked at past papers and writing questions include; "Write a letter of persuation....." "Write a blog informing...." "Write a speech for such and such topic...."...... The problem is i'm awful at creative writing, i have no imagination, they will ask for two pages of sophisticated, structured work and i'll struggle writing a few paragraphs with writer's block, especially under the exam conditions! :frown:

Another problem is not knowing what to write about? I can see me taking forever in the exam trying to think about what to write about! Really think i'm going to fail miserably!

Any advice for the hopeless?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have the same exam board for English and I feel the same way! However, there are some tips to help you with this. Section A, I'm assuming you know how to answer. For section B, you should spend 25 minutes on question 5, and 35 minutes on question 6 (recommended), so you'll have enough time to think and write. Quality, not quantity!
Question 5 is the shorter task, and is worth 16 marks and you need to inform and explain (describe your feelings about Summer etc).
Question 6 is longer, worth 24 marks and is usually argue and persuade (Stance on animal rights etc).
Now, with your not knowing what to write about- it's how you write, not what you write. If it's asking you to describe your favourite place in question 5, you could describe anywhere! Antarctica, your room, even your school!:biggrin: It really doesn't matter what you pick, just start writing as soon as an idea pops into your head.
So, for writing in both, you need to add details, facts, and statistics. You also need to use good grammar, with paragraphs, a variety of punctuation and language, as well as varied sentence structure and openings. You have to have a clear voice and tense. You're also marked on the writing for an audience, so if it's a blog post you should start with "Hi Bloggers" or if it's a letter to an editor, you should say "Dear Editor" with a "Yours Sincerely" at the end.
Now for arguing and persuasion, you have to use pathos, ethos, and logos (sympathy, ethics, and logic) as well as made up statistics to back up your point.
I understand your fear, I feel it too for this exam! I hope this has been of some help:redface:
Reply 2
Original post by wildjones
I have the same exam board for English and I feel the same way! However, there are some tips to help you with this. Section A, I'm assuming you know how to answer. For section B, you should spend 25 minutes on question 5, and 35 minutes on question 6 (recommended), so you'll have enough time to think and write. Quality, not quantity!
Question 5 is the shorter task, and is worth 16 marks and you need to inform and explain (describe your feelings about Summer etc).
Question 6 is longer, worth 24 marks and is usually argue and persuade (Stance on animal rights etc).
Now, with your not knowing what to write about- it's how you write, not what you write. If it's asking you to describe your favourite place in question 5, you could describe anywhere! Antarctica, your room, even your school!:biggrin: It really doesn't matter what you pick, just start writing as soon as an idea pops into your head.
So, for writing in both, you need to add details, facts, and statistics. You also need to use good grammar, with paragraphs, a variety of punctuation and language, as well as varied sentence structure and openings. You have to have a clear voice and tense. You're also marked on the writing for an audience, so if it's a blog post you should start with "Hi Bloggers" or if it's a letter to an editor, you should say "Dear Editor" with a "Yours Sincerely" at the end.
Now for arguing and persuasion, you have to use pathos, ethos, and logos (sympathy, ethics, and logic) as well as made up statistics to back up your point.
I understand your fear, I feel it too for this exam! I hope this has been of some help:redface:

That does help some, thankyou! And goodluck with your exams! :smile:
Original post by Green Dragon
That does help some, thankyou! And goodluck with your exams! :smile:

Reading over, I wasn't very clear, but I hope it made some sense! Just make it up, use alliteration and statistics, and you're good to go :tongue: and thank you, good luck with yours, you'll do great :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by wildjones
Reading over, I wasn't very clear, but I hope it made some sense! Just make it up, use alliteration and statistics, and you're good to go :tongue: and thank you, good luck with yours, you'll do great :biggrin:

No not at all! Very helpful tip with "its not what you write but how you write", as long as i use the various language techniques (alliteration, emotive language, statisitics etc) i can score enough marks for a pass! All i really want is a grade 'C' (i know thats the highest grade on foundation tier exam anyway), hopefully with my 'B' grade in coursework that will help bring my grade up if i mess the exam up! :smile:

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Green Dragon
No not at all! Very helpful tip with "its not what you write but how you write", as long as i use the various language techniques (alliteration, emotive language, statisitics etc) i can score enough marks for a pass! All i really want is a grade 'C' (i know thats the highest grade on foundation tier exam anyway), hopefully with my 'B' grade in coursework that will help bring my grade up if i mess the exam up! :smile:

Thanks!

You'll definitely be able to get a C grade using all of those techniques etc, and I'm sure you won't mess up! Good luck to you :tongue:
Reply 6
neck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending