The Student Room Group

BPD support?

Any advice for managing BPD whilst at uni? I'm really struggling with my self confidence, paranoia and abandonment fears at the moment. I keep telling myself its all in my head but when I see my friends having a get together on facebook and i'm not invited i get so stressed out and worry about what I've done wrong. I'm so depressed and stressed and the moment too I've began questioning if I am ever going to be 'normal' enough to hack being a grown up let alone doing my degree. Some days I'm fine but recently the bad days have been more than the good day :frown:
Original post by millyrosefaith
Any advice for managing BPD whilst at uni? I'm really struggling with my self confidence, paranoia and abandonment fears at the moment. I keep telling myself its all in my head but when I see my friends having a get together on facebook and i'm not invited i get so stressed out and worry about what I've done wrong. I'm so depressed and stressed and the moment too I've began questioning if I am ever going to be 'normal' enough to hack being a grown up let alone doing my degree. Some days I'm fine but recently the bad days have been more than the good day :frown:

What treatment/support are you currently receiving? I presume a psychiatrist diagnosed you with BPD, so are they still involved in your care? If you haven't already, I would apply for disabled students allowance and speak to the disability support office at your university - they will be able to support you through your degree.

It sounds like that things are really getting on top of you at the moment. It sounds like it would be important to try and get some mental health support as soon as possible. Have you ever had therapy or counselling? Your uni should have a counselling service - that may be a good place to start.

DBT is a very effective therapy in treating BPD, and I would really recommend it. It is hard to get on the NHS, however, you can do part of it by yourself - this book is really good for self help - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131

If you wanna talk more about it - I have been diagnosed with BPD, gone through treatment and I am at uni currently.
Original post by bullettheory
What treatment/support are you currently receiving? I presume a psychiatrist diagnosed you with BPD, so are they still involved in your care? If you haven't already, I would apply for disabled students allowance and speak to the disability support office at your university - they will be able to support you through your degree.

It sounds like that things are really getting on top of you at the moment. It sounds like it would be important to try and get some mental health support as soon as possible. Have you ever had therapy or counselling? Your uni should have a counselling service - that may be a good place to start.

DBT is a very effective therapy in treating BPD, and I would really recommend it. It is hard to get on the NHS, however, you can do part of it by yourself - this book is really good for self help - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131

If you wanna talk more about it - I have been diagnosed with BPD, gone through treatment and I am at uni currently.

Thanks. The uni are aware but I tried to speak to them but they are trying to put me through a fitness to practice hearing which is making everything worse.

I was discharged from the community mental health team back to my GP last year but I've asked my new GP to refer me back.

I know DBT ia good - I did a 12 month inpatient DBT course in 2013 but it's not helping me at the moment :frown:
Original post by millyrosefaith
Thanks. The uni are aware but I tried to speak to them but they are trying to put me through a fitness to practice hearing which is making everything worse.

I was discharged from the community mental health team back to my GP last year but I've asked my new GP to refer me back.

I know DBT ia good - I did a 12 month inpatient DBT course in 2013 but it's not helping me at the moment :frown:

How did you get diagnosed? Does it not bring you down by when applying to Uni? Do you just go to a GP, and will the GP not tell your parents? I am in a struggle for 3 years now, I desperately need help but I am not sure how as I dont want my parents to get involved or have huge negative impacts in the future when I apply for uni.

Quick Reply

Latest